RYOBI chainsaw is worth the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wookatdis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I may or may not get laughed on out of here, but this just had to be said. I have been a lifelong husky/stihl guy (I have my favorite saws from each brand) but my addiction has gotten out of hand. I recently picked up a little ryobi 37cc with the 14" bar. It was only 15 big ones so I figured its worth it, just for purely scientific purposes.

Lo and behold, those little turds are built better than most any homeowner level saw I have come across. I didn't realize they were built more like an ms290 or saws of that nature, but it actually has a pretty legitimate crankcase separate from the cylinder!

Alright, it might not be built as well as most of its husqvarna or stihl counterparts, but I was not expecting anything even resembling quality construction when I opened this Sunnava gun up.

In conclusion, I gutted the muffler, chucked the base gasket, increased intake and exhaust ports close to 30% or more laterally (I didn't touch the top or bottom of either port, only the sides), slapped her together, opened them jets and let er rip.

Well worth 15 bucks and a couple hours worth of my time. Get you one. I won't tell

Is it one of the Zenoah clones? If so the design is fairly sound, it's just the material quality & finished dimensions that tend to vary... With the right "luck of the draw" you can end up with a fairly reasonable light duty saw

Is it one of the Zenoah clones? If so the design is fairly sound, it's just the material quality & finished dimensions that tend to vary... With the right "luck of the draw" you can end up with a fairly reasonable light duty saw
I honestly have no idea what that is.
I'll look in to it and see whats what. Just cut some rounds with it though and that lil bugger eats

Yup, copy of the Zenoah G3800/3802... There must be a good reason they are profically copied by so many of the mass providers of consumer grade saws

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have a 25 year old Pro Mac 3818AV that I bought new, well before I developed a severe case of CAD.
It's been relegated to dirty work where I don''t want to take one of my good saws or as a loaner that might not survive the experience.
It can sit for years, sometimes fueled, and still start with little effort. If not for that, I might not have kept it around all these years.

So, I may or may not get laughed on out of here, but this just had to be said. I have been a lifelong husky/stihl guy (I have my favorite saws from each brand) but my addiction has gotten out of hand. I recently picked up a little ryobi 37cc with the 14" bar. It was only 15 big ones so I figured its worth it, just for purely scientific purposes.

Lo and behold, those little turds are built better than most any homeowner level saw I have come across. I didn't realize they were built more like an ms290 or saws of that nature, but it actually has a pretty legitimate crankcase separate from the cylinder!

Alright, it might not be built as well as most of its husqvarna or stihl counterparts, but I was not expecting anything even resembling quality construction when I opened this Sunnava gun up.

In conclusion, I gutted the muffler, chucked the base gasket, increased intake and exhaust ports close to 30% or more laterally (I didn't touch the top or bottom of either port, only the sides), slapped her together, opened them jets and let er rip.

Well worth 15 bucks and a couple hours worth of my time. Get you one. I won't tell
This Ryobi is made by Techtronics Industries who also own Milwaukee tools and Homelite (outside USA).
The component and build quality is excellent on the two I have, the Ruixing carburetors especially. They hold their tune perfectly and the saws usually start first pull after weeks of disuse, as long as you're quick enough pop the choke in when the engine fires.
(Mine have a little stickers with the assemblers signature on them which is kinda cute.).

I can tell you their warranty is legit. I picked up a couple of Ryobi Gensets that had problems from a guy who did the store pallet buys. Both were frozen up and would not turn. I got to the generator side and broke free the new looking one and it seemed to have gotten stuck on the ride over on the boat and once free it works great. The other broke free and turned about 270 with a solid clunk each direction. Found a warranty dealer and sent it to him after he informed me it was still under warranty. He found a valve had come loose and could not get parts for 1 year, so they send me a new one. That was with no receipt of purchase! They are 2800-1800 watt with some really cool features. Blue tooth, remote shut off, current load, and fuel status/run time left over your phone. They also have wheels and a pull-out handle like suitcase and are very quiet. I am impressed with Ryobi and will be looking for a saw made by them.

I got the little Home Depot (or Lowes) saw for $110 several years ago, when they were a hot topic on here.
It's the best starting, least trouble, compared to an 029 and an MS 250. I see no quality issues at all.
It's the occasional limber/yard saw, so not a lot of time, but way worth buying!
Wilson

Latest posts

Back