Ryobi gets to be more than just a limbing chainsaw for the day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydesdaleClop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
12" Ryobi P548 18v brushless chainsaw with a useable bar length of about 10". I don't typically have a need for a larger saw, this is more than adequate for smaller diameter windstorm cleanup in suburbia that gets stockpiled for the fire pit. I had a mix of the 18v tools already so plenty of batteries for typical usage, though of varying age and quality. Family member nearby had some trees blown down that I have been cleaning up for them and I used it today to finish up the bottom section of the last one, which was the largest. Range on the diameter cut and results in pictures below - a total of 19 cuts. It was three quarters of the way into the 20th cut when the last battery was exhausted. In the middle picture the four batteries on the right are small and or have a hard time holding a charge, I used them first and they only accounted for about 1+ cuts each on the smaller diameter sections. The three 4Ah batteries on the left powered the bulk of the cutting - basically 5 cuts apiece on 11-13" diameters. As I write this the snapshot with the saw looks kind of funny compared to typical chainsaws I see in other threads, but I wanted to see how many cuts I could get on this size tree before the batteries were exhausted and post the results with pictures. If you are reading this for more than the intended entertainment value, it's probably worth noting the P548 is an older model and the current comparable offerings are the P549 (Brushless) and the P2570 (HP Brushless Whisper). I like my saw for its occasional usage for limbing/smaller diameter cuts, it was serviceable today with some patience and a large cup of coffee, but definitely not something I'd want to use it for on a regular basis.

Attachments

• Large.jpg
    Large.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Pile.jpg
    Pile.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Small.jpg
    Small.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 0
Good evaluation of the available equipment and the task at hand. I "want" a small gas chainsaw (tim the toolman grunt) but the electric chainsaw I have is all I need. LOL.

I have a little Kobalt 24 V and I use it a lot. When a small tree or a large limb comes down and I need to cut it up, I can get the job done quickly without the fuss and bother of starting a gas saw. I like it. If I didn't have numerous gas saws, I'd be thinking about a larger electric for firewood duty.

Back