Safe to hang your saws from the bar for storage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wondering if its safe (as in won't damage the saw) to hang your saws from the bar for storage? Some of my saws have a hole in the bar near the tip where the bars get hung from in shops etc..can the whole saw be hung this way attached to the bar? Obviously don't want to risk damaging the saw or the bar studs etc. Just a thought I had as I have a secure steel cabinet I could weld steel rods onto, to "hang" the saws. Would help stop the never ending bar oil mess as well. My 2 bigger saws (MS661 and GS650) normally wear 30 and 22 inch bars respectively. I have various small saws I would be comfortable to hang as they are very light.
Is this a stupid idea, or has anyone else done it? Here in New Zealand saws like this get stolen all the time so just trying to protect them a bit. Cheers

Actually just seen another idea of hanging them from their handles..probably a better way to go...of course I didn't think of that....

best to make a scabbard out of wood as a pocket to have the saw as level and support the engine case as well to not bend the bar.
for long term storage some remove the bar!
then you can hand the bar and chain on a nail!
or better yet store the chains in tubs with covered with a bit of oil spray for no rust.
we use freezer bags with a bit of bar oil.

Nothing wrong with this.

IVO9662.jpg

I spy a TroyBilt Horse tiller, got me one myself. Mines a 1985 Horse III model.
Yessir. A friend gave me that tiller, in pretty rough shape, so I could put in my garden when I first bought my house, on the condition that I never bring it back. He's getting up there in years and was clearing out junk around his house and shop. I got it running, tilled about 10 feet, and stopped. Dug several test holes all over my property, and anywhere you care to dig, the ground is 1/3rd rocks. Must give the gophers hell, but somehow they manage. I gave up on tilling anything and planting in the ground. Did raised beds, with dirt and compost brought in from elsewhere instead. Since my friend didn't want the tiller back, I sold it. Wasn't right to keep the money from selling a gift, so I gave the money to the food bank at the church he attends. The circle of life was complete.

Plunge-cuts through a board, spacing the cuts to fit saws. Make a shelf out of the board, stick some saws in there. Voila! Stored.

you can make this plunge-cut idea work on any ohv too, with a log or a board.

best to make a scabbard out of wood as a pocket to have the saw as level and support the engine case as well to not bend the bar.
for long term storage some remove the bar!
then you can hand the bar and chain on a nail!
or better yet store the chains in tubs with covered with a bit of oil spray for no rust.
we use freezer bags with a bit of bar oil.

Don’t hang from handles, you’ll stretch and damage the rubber AV mounts over time. Put some shelves up and remove the bar for storage.
Decent saws and bars are way tougher than that. In the short-term, for sure. Like in months, probably not years.

Back