Safe to hang your saws from the bar for storage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd, I just hung a saw yesterday. My saw shelf that I built last year will only hold up to 20" which was the largest at the time.

P1280129ro.jpgP1280127ro.jpg

I've had my saws hanging by the handles for some time...never had an issue with mounts.
The Stihls do very well. The smaller Husky puke oil and gas so I stopped hanging them unless emptied of gas/oil. Same problem with the 020s.
Weird...
The rack takes up very little space.
I can get 8+ saws on it...on wheels...spare bars hang on the sides.
View attachment IMG_20191004_210700_01.jpgIMG_20191005_234855376.jpg

Wondering if its safe (as in won't damage the saw) to hang your saws from the bar for storage? Some of my saws have a hole in the bar near the tip where the bars get hung from in shops etc..can the whole saw be hung this way attached to the bar? Obviously don't want to risk damaging the saw or the bar studs etc. Just a thought I had as I have a secure steel cabinet I could weld steel rods onto, to "hang" the saws. Would help stop the never ending bar oil mess as well. My 2 bigger saws (MS661 and GS650) normally wear 30 and 22 inch bars respectively. I have various small saws I would be comfortable to hang as they are very light.
Is this a stupid idea, or has anyone else done it? Here in New Zealand saws like this get stolen all the time so just trying to protect them a bit. Cheers
why is it nobody is directly commenting on the hang them by the bars suggestion?
biggest problem I see is that most bars don't have holes in them Near the tip But if they did I think it's a great solution to the leaking bar oil problem

why is it nobody is directly commenting on the hang them by the bars suggestion?
biggest problem I see is that most bars don't have holes in them Near the tip But if they did I think it's a great solution to the leaking bar oil problem
Not necessarily. Oil will just drool down the handle. My 346s puke oil in any storage position.

As for the oil bed wetting, all saws are going to drip what’s already past the pump. If it’s doing more than that you have a leak to fix. Many saws rely on a plate cover to hold the oil pump and hose together. A chain popping loose can warp it and remove that tension pressure. Suddenly your saw is incontinent.

Seriously. If my saws had a hole I’d hang ‘em.
Why not? You use them in all positions.
If they are in proper working order I don’t see a problem with hanging them for a few days/a week from the hole in the bar. No lateral stress on the bar.
If you’re storing them for months you may want to consider emptying fluids...
But again. If they are in proper working order and all seals, gaskets and o-rings are good, then go for it.

I hang my saws at our camp from the bar - high up under the roof and out of the way, as we have limited storage space.
The Stihl bars already have a hole towards the tip.
I cut a larger hole in the plastic scabbard/guard so that you can hang the saws without taking off the scabbard/guard.
Any oil you have on the chain and bar will tend to run down the casing and then drip off the handle. I have modified/cut small hand held plastic paint containers to fit inside the handle area of the saws and collect any oil.
I find the electric saws leak a lot less oil than the gas powered saws, and I am unsure if it is possible that changes in barometric pressure (the weather) can cause the oil pump diaphrams to "pump" tiny amounts of oil over time. The electric saws have mechanical pumps, not the diaphram pumps driven by changes in crankcase pressure in the gasoline chainsaws.
I will take some pictures of the saws and "oil catchers" for you the next time I am at camp.
My saw at home is on the shelf in the garage and has a rag under it to help with the "bed wetting" issues.

Back