Safety Equipment Recommendations Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stud Duck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've always wore eye and ear pro, but I need to step-up my game in the safety department.

I'm a landowner/DIYer looking for recommendations for a helmet and chain saw chaps.

Are the Stihl helmets worth buying? I met a guy who is selling new helmets locally for $50. If they're worth it, fine. If not, I'll go for what you all recommend.

Mods: please move this thread if I'm not in the correct area.

I've broken a lot of helmets...(not by stuff dropping on them, just getting beat around in the truck despite my best efforts to keep them hanging.
The ones that have lasted are Rockman Pro (which I don't see at Bailey's any longer) and my current/favorite Husqvarna Technical Forest helmet.

Really happy with Labonville chaps - I prefer the full wrap.

What is the $50 helmet?

I've used a Rockman Pro and Labonville full wraps for years.....
MFOyN0Sl.jpg

I've broken a lot of helmets...(not by stuff dropping on them, just getting beat around in the truck despite my best efforts to keep them hanging.
The ones that have lasted are Rockman Pro (which I don't see at Bailey's any longer) and my current/favorite Husqvarna Technical Forest helmet.

What is the $50 helmet?

Sthil, but I forget the model number. It's the more expensive model, sells for over a $100 on Amazon. I'll need to check my to confirm.

Check the NRR of the included muffs before buying. The bottom end Stihl helmet has muffs that are pretty poor. The Husky Technical muffs are much better, I noticed a huge difference after I flattened my Stihl helmet (under the tractor tire) and replaced it with a Husky. The higher end Stihl has much better muffs.

Neither Stihl nor Husky make the muffs. They rebrand muffs from Peltor/3m and Sordin/MSA

What is the $50 helmet?
What model Labonville ? Do you know how many layers ?

Helmets are a personal choice. If you can try a few on. You can always add good muffs ( Peltor 3M) and a face shield. I use SWEDEPRO 9 layer chaps. They can be a bit warm but they armor you up. Consider an elvex chainsaw vest as well. All are good investments.

Latest posts

Back