Safety first

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously considered the Clogger pants. But then realized that most of my work is clearing down trees on trails where a 12 mile round trip is not uncommon. Carrying chaps in a pack and hiking in comfortable pants have won out. Never worn a pair of safety pants so don't know what to expect.

But I would own a pair if did a lot of cutting with less hiking. The coverage all around the legs would be a benefit.

With all this talk about PPE I think that I should mention what we teach in our chainsaw classes for trail maintainers... "Your primary PPE is right between your ears!" The stuff that you are wearing (other than hearing protection) is really secondary protection.

Since we are mentioning stuff other than PPE, it is probably wise to remember another safety tip that probably causes more injuries than any failure to wear your PPE: cutting stubs on underbrush low enough to prevent trip hazard and injuries.

So many times my guys have left a mine field of sharp pointed stubs. They hide amongst the cut underbrush and when you go to drag it all back to the chipper, stubs trip you and then you fall on the Punji-sticks. This is particularly a problem when you are using brush cutters to hack your way through dense weed tree saplings.

1665869277866.png

Since we are mentioning stuff other than PPE, it is probably wise to remember another safety tip that probably causes more injuries than any failure to wear your PPE: cutting stubs on underbrush low enough to prevent trip hazard and injuries.

So many times my guys have left a mine field of sharp pointed stubs. They hide amongst the cut underbrush and when you go to drag it all back to the chipper, stubs trip you and then you fall on the Punji-sticks. This is particularly a problem when you are using brush cutters to hack your way through dense weed tree saplings.

View attachment 1024410
Sage advise, I've screwed myself doing stupid stuff like that more then once. Bamboo forest at my wife's grandmother's place comes to mind. Had to clear a large area of it out, then figured I'd take the tractor and brush hog in to take the stubble out. Cost me a front tire. Man was I mad at myself.

I'm actually trying to convince myself I need a set of pants instead of chaps... they are a decent bit more expensive, but claimed to be very comfortable vs the chaps.n
I have the pants , they get a little warm at times , however rather a lil sweat than a lot of blood :crazy2:

I am not saying to not wear hearing protection, but I never do. Especially felling trees or having heavy machinery close by skidding or pushing brush. Not being able to hear what is going on around you can be very dangerous. Of course, losing your hearing sucks too and we are back to my main point of not hearing what is going on around you .
I wear hearing protection pretty well most of the time , not muffs , inserts . They reduce the ambient high amplitude noise to an acceptable level , however allow a normal conversation . I always found muffs cumbersome & hot .

I have the pants , they get a little warm at times , however rather a lil sweat than a lot of blood. !
I wear my chaps about 90% of the time. I have the husqvarna technical full wraps. They make me sweat like crazy. I didn't Mind till a few years ago after I had a heat stroke. Took a long while just to be able to work all day in the heat, let alone wearing them in the heat. I'm much better now, but the heat still gets to me. I'm hoping the pants will not be as hot, not catch chips( like the calf wraps does.) And are significantly more comfortable to move in. I don't climb much anymore, so the "ground" style of pants seemed to be the ones to go with.
I'll give credit, my chaps are rough just from normal use, so this thread gave me the push to get a pair of pants and try them out.

I'll wear my chaps when I'm actually cutting, but not to just zip off a branch here and there, same way I don't always wear welding gloves when tacking. If my footing is the least bit compromised though, then I'm wearing chaps, even just to zip a branch here or there with the battery saw.

If it's warm enough for chaps to be a problem, then I'm not out working in it anyway. I have digestive issues, my system doesn't absorb electrolytes right, and I sweat out the electrolytes I do have in VERY short order. Used to give myself heat stroke several times per year before figuring that out. Now, I don't even try. Start early in the morning, and when it gets warm I'm done, no matter the time or how much of the job is left. Ain't worth it.

If my footing is the least bit compromised though, then I'm wearing chaps, even just to zip a branch here or there with the battery saw.
FWIW, I've heard that chaps don't work with battery saws, They only work with high-speed, low-torque stuff like chainsaws...battery saws power right through kevlar. (Or so I've heard...)

I wear my chaps about 90% of the time. I have the husqvarna technical full wraps. They make me sweat like crazy. I didn't Mind till a few years ago after I had a heat stroke. Took a long while just to be able to work all day in the heat, let alone wearing them in the heat. I'm much better now, but the heat still gets to me. I'm hoping the pants will not be as hot, not catch chips( like the calf wraps does.) And are significantly more comfortable to move in. I don't climb much anymore, so the "ground" style of pants seemed to be the ones to go with.
I'll give credit, my chaps are rough just from normal use, so this thread gave me the push to get a pair of pants and try them out.

I went through that cycle of health problems about 10 years ago. I discovered that when the heat exhaustion was coming on strong, all I had to do was go drink some sugar water. NO amount of water worked, but a cola, OJ, Gatoraid would get the physiology working right.

It turns out that our physiology stops working right, and our blood sugar drops. The quickest way back to walking upright for me was to restore my blood sugar and then carry on with a bit more moderation in how hard I was working.

Be sure that you know the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke, however. Heat exhaustion will transition into heat stroke if you have some really bad luck.

FWIW, I've heard that chaps don't work with battery saws, They only work with high-speed, low-torque stuff like chainsaws...battery saws power right through kevlar. (Or so I've heard...)

That's kind of ridiculous. There isn't a battery operated saw anywhere that comes close to the torque of a large capacity professional saw. The fibers don't stop the saw because they are stronger than the torque. They work because there are so many fibers that are very long, and they wrap around the clutch sprocket and jam it up.

You couldn't carry a battery operated chainsaw that could equal my Husqy 3120. For that matter, a lot guys can't carry that saw and set it in a horizontal cut with the big bar on it.

I went through that cycle of health problems about 10 years ago. I discovered that when the heat exhaustion was coming on strong, all I had to do was go drink some sugar water. NO amount of water worked, but a cola, OJ, Gatoraid would get the physiology working right.

It turns out that our physiology stops working right, and out blood sugar drops. The quickest way back to walking upright for me was to restore my blood sugar and then carry on with a bit more moderation in how hard I was working.

Be sure that you know the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke, however. Heat exhaustion will transition into heat stroke if you have some really bad luck.
Yeah, I know the difference. My daughter found me blacked out on the floor and ended up in the er for the night. I'm very cautious since. My Dr kinda chewed me out, I kept trying to tell him I was drinking plenty of water. He went on to explain its not just the water, I had sweat all my electrolyte out and my blood sugar was out of whack as well. I guess he had spoken with my wife on the phone, and she told him I hadn't eaten that day either. Guess I screwed myself in about every way I could.
I use this stuff called skratch. Some sort of powder stuff you mix in with water. Doesn't taste like much, but is a little sweet. Doesn't make my gut ach like Gatorade and the like.
I'll tell you this, that was a major wake up call for me. I'm only 34, was 32 when it happened and I've worked outdoors my entire life. Never been affected by the heat, cold whatever. I don't know what changed in me but I'm just a ***** anymore lol.

That's kind of ridiculous. There isn't a battery operated saw anywhere that comes close to the torque of a large capacity professional saw. The fibers don't stop the saw because they are stronger than the torque. They work because there are so many fibers that are very long, and they wrap around the clutch sprocket and jam it up.

You couldn't carry a battery operated chainsaw that could equal my Husqy 3120. For that matter, a lot guys can't carry that saw and set it in a horizontal cut with the big bar on it.
Fast forward to around 2 min gas saw first then he does a battery saw

Lots more videos out there of chaps bringing battery saws to a stop.

Not that I have a pair of chaps to destroy, but I have the smaller 20 volt version of thay dewalt saw. Normally when it trips you have to cycle the hand brake to get it to run again. Interesting he could just let off and get on the trigger again. Not surprising it would start up, most motors have full torque available right out of the gate.

At the 4 min mark a Stihl Battery operated saw stops on a pair of chaps.

Latest posts

Back