Safety gone mad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spilled so much more gas with those environmental cans than I ever did with the old ones. If a few vapors escaping makes any difference to the ozone layer or spotted owl or snowy plover, spilling actual liquid must be catastrophic. Whoever thought that one up and everyone who helped pass the law can ride one of those gas cans straight to hell.

Edit: The plastic grocery bag and straw banners can ride with them.

The non vented cans a a good idea. Almost a necessity with fuel storage and 10%.
Are they that difficult to understand?

90% of this safety crap is not about any goodwill intentions at all. Its about avoiding liability law suits.

Case in point, Blitz (gas can maker) is now gone from this planet because several morons allegedly blew themselves up or managed to light themselves on fire using those gas cans. So a legal team went after Walmart and Blitz. Walmart paid up 25 Million clams and Blitz is gone. And now if you want to buy pretty much the same exact Blitz gas cans they cost 3 times as much. Not for re-designed cans. For the liability insurance for manufacturing those cans.

And the new cans have spouts that are nearly unusable. Because if you actually manage to pour gas out of them, they become a hazard. You can also get around the crappy unusable "safety" pour spouts with one of these. Of course, they also set you back another $11, compounding the increase in price for a simple piece of plastic that costs about a buck to make: https://ezpourspout.com/

Me, I buy used old Blitz cans whenever I see them for sale at Goodwill or garage sales. The ones with the pop-up spouts. No fires, no explosions. But soon, nothing will be legal any more. It will all be too dangerous for humankind to use, or be banned as prime causes of cancer or global warming. Or the liability will be so high that it will be unfeasible to produce. Then what? The future is soooo fukked.

"Alexa, why are people getting so stupid and not learning anything any more?"

I can understand not liking or believing necessary certain safety features that also make it harder to use the tool. But what impediment does a chain brake cause? Mine at least stays there totally out of the way and not requiring any attention at all until and unless I have a kickback. Less trouble than a seatbelt. Which, by the way I wear even though I am not intending to have a collision and I am in fact going out of my way to give space and drive carefully to avoid one.

I had the chain brake bite me once. Well, I bit myself with the chain brake, and felt like a complete idiot when I realized what'd happened, too.

Went to a U-cut Christmas tree place, and the electric saw wouldn't work. Not a peep, nothing, just completely flat dead. Pretty embarrassing, at the time battery electric saws weren't known at all and I had spent money on unproven tech when I bought one, and it let me down. Used the pruning saw I keep in the truck and got the Christmas tree and got home. Put a new battery in the saw, nothing, just stone dead. Took it back to Lowes, got another one. Set the new one down kinda hard, went to pick it up, saw's dead. Seriously? New saw is dead too? Did setting it down like that really break it? If so, it's just going back, that won't handle any kind of use......... Wait, I've had a gasser set the chain brake when I set it down hard. Sure enough, click off the chain brake, saw's fine.

Dammit.

jiFfM.jpg

It's not a gasser. The chain "brake" just shuts the thing off. Dammit.

90% of this safety crap is not about any goodwill intentions at all. Its about avoiding liability law suits.

Case in point, Blitz (gas can maker) is now gone from this planet because several morons allegedly blew themselves up or managed to light themselves on fire using those gas cans. So a legal team went after Walmart and Blitz. Walmart paid up 25 Million clams and Blitz is gone. And now if you want to buy pretty much the same exact Blitz gas cans they cost 3 times as much. Not for re-designed cans. For the liability insurance for manufacturing those cans.

And the new cans have spouts that are nearly unusable. Because if you actually manage to pour gas out of them, they become a hazard. You can also get around the crappy unusable "safety" pour spouts with one of these. Of course, they also set you back another $11, compounding the increase in price for a simple piece of plastic that costs about a buck to make: https://ezpourspout.com/

Me, I buy used old Blitz cans whenever I see them for sale at Goodwill or garage sales. The ones with the pop-up spouts. No fires, no explosions. But soon, nothing will be legal any more. It will all be too dangerous for humankind to use, or be banned as prime causes of cancer or global warming. Or the liability will be so high that it will be unfeasible to produce. Then what? The future is soooo fukked.

"Alexa, why are people getting so stupid and not learning anything any more?"

I've spilled so much more gas with those environmental cans than I ever did with the old ones. If a few vapors escaping makes any difference to the ozone layer or spotted owl or snowy plover, spilling actual liquid must be catastrophic. Whoever thought that one up and everyone who helped pass the law can ride one of those gas cans straight to hell.

Edit: The plastic grocery bag and straw banners can ride with them.

I agree. I've spilled so much more with those spring-locked new-fangled fuel can pour snouts.... they are a PITA and as soon as able, they go IN THE RECYCLE BIN. I've collected enough older cans to get by, where the old style spin-on snout with a pop-in cap works. You can also buy kits with a vent cap and an accordion-style pop-out snout - yep, EZ-POUR style for the WIN.

However, I've installed a bunch of vents on the non-vented cans of newer age and they do tend to leak, it's tough to get a perfect circle hole with a drill bit even the right size - it still grabs when you punch through the thin plastic and then doesn't form a good seal. That and, the little flapper cover for the vent always breaks off its own lanyard so you've got a 2-piece vent, in my experience.

I also buy old cans almost any chance I get. That reminds me, there's an old metal can I need to go grab.

All my cans are the old metal style. I have a few my granddad got from a friend off the rail road. Still use them to this day. I've seen several plastic model go pop in the hot sun. I'm too dumb to use the safety plastic spouts. I'll stick to my old stuff. I always wear chaps, muffs gloves and hat. Had a close call once woke me up.

I'm thinkin...why would you bring a powersaw to cut down a Christmas tree?

Bringing a cannon to a jackknife fight.

oh, I get it; showing off the fancy pantsy new tool. Too bad the damn thing let you down. Stupid tool.
Good hand tools rarely do that.

I'm thinkin...why would you bring a powersaw to cut down a Christmas tree?

Sheer laziness.

Bringing a cannon to a jackknife fight.

oh, I get it; showing off the fancy pantsy new tool. Too bad the damn thing let you down. Stupid tool.
Good hand tools rarely do that.

The tool worked fine, I let myself down by not knowing wtf I was doing. Life is like that sometimes.

The answer to the gas can spout problem is a large washer, piece of 1/2 or 3/4 pipe (1 1/2 in long) brazed to the washer. Put it thru the plastic can nut, hose clamp on a hunk of heater hose, stick a cork (whittled down piece of a branch) in the end. If you need a vent, poke a small hole in the can with a screw in it. problem solved.

You shouldn't have to go through all that to improve on a modern idea that was perfected near the time of the invention of the internal combustion engine. The goofs that mandated all this gas can crap should have been fired for being too stupid to do their job.

Guys, remember that the most important piece of PPE you own is inside of your skull, which most of the time when I’m at work, is inside my Skullgard skull bucket.

However, even it is not foolproof. Some safety standards are a little over the top, sometimes due to reaction from a freak accident that will likely never happen again. Most, on the other hand, were brought into effect by somebody, or a bunch of people, getting killed or severely hurt and there being a trend that’s easily corrected by an engineered control.

As to the gas cans, I use the “No-Spill” brand. They’re pretty easy to use and pretty good quality, albeit a little expensive. Husqvarna dolmars are the nicest to use that I’ve found so far.

One reason I like using petrol saws over electric is the noise. No doubt if it's plugged in/turned on! Plus, when the chainsaws revving your ground crew know what's about to happen.

Guys, remember that the most important piece of PPE you own is inside of your skull...

I agree 100%. This is the same with guns. Both chainsaws and guns are tools, meant for a useful purpose when required, but can kill you or others without exercising yer noodle properly. The first line of defense is the most highly engineered piece of equipment on the planet (and still yet so little is understood about them) - the human brain.

Back