Sandvik-Windsor Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabberman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
G'day Guys,

Is anyone using the Sandvik-Windsor bench mounted chainbreaker and rivet-spinner, or know of them? They are a reasonable bit cheaper than the Oregon versions, is there a good reason for this I wonder!!?
Thanks
Cheers
Charlie.

Howdy,

The Windsor bench tools were always supplied by EFCO in the past. This means they were the welded together type. On rare occassion, a breaker would break it's weld along it's base. This was quite rare however.

The rivet spinner suffered from a certain lack of lateral rigidity, and if you really force a spin will tend to flex between the anvil and takeup sides. I have also seen the odd one of these break at their welds. (A spinner has to be able to withstand a ton of force).

Oregon now sells both types. The cast ones are stronger, and worth the higher price if it is to be used daily such as by a large dealership. You might want to make sure which type you are getting. The "sheetmetal" fabricated models are good enough for an end user without any doubt.

Herr is a supplier of another good cast spinner. I have seen some poor carburized spinner inserts from Herr, however. Oregon has the better quality anvil inserts. (Some Efco machines were a different spinner insert, being much longer and therefore not standard with the other units).

Regards,
Walt Galer

Back