Sanity Check - Stihl 015 AV Fuel Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodog

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Can someone please give me a sanity check on a Stihl 015 AV fuel leak issue? Reading though the chainsaw forum comments about the Stihl 015 I get the impression fuel leaks are likely due to a degraded fuel line. I am thinking I should be able to replace the fuel line from the carb side without disassembling the front fuel/oil tank. Is that correct? In the event the leak is from a degraded tank gasket, are there any sources available for a new gasket? I haven't been able to find any. Thanks!

For background - My neighbor asked me to look at his old 015 AV that has been sitting for about 10 years, he said it ran when it was put up. The gas tank was dry so I was hopeful there wouldn't be any "old gas left in the saw" problems. I put fresh gas in it, went to get the bar oil came back to see gas leaking out from under the saw.
I found a few references on this saw and see that the fuel and oil tanks are made by the front piece attaching to the main body of the saw with a gasket in between. I also understand this front piece is attached by several screws that hold a good bit of the saw together, that loosening these screws may undo other seals within the saw. Searching for parts I see the fuel line for the Stihl is rather unique looking compared to what I am use to with other brand saws I have worked on.

I am thinking I should be able to replace the fuel line from the carb side without disassembling the front fuel/oil tank.
I did so on mine. Wasn't a fun experience, but possible. Some lube, a small pokey thing to help it go in there, and lots of swearing. So basically a Saturday evening with the ex...
I wasn't able to find the correct fuel line for my 015. All offers i found were in fact 021/023/025 fuel lines. Read somewhere they would fit if you install them in reverse, so the curved side goes to the carb and not to the filter. Got one and installed it with a small regular fuel filter instead of the cloth type, so it fits through the hole. Doesn't seal perfectly. Not leaking much, but not good either. Maybe I try some Dirko sometimes, but the starter spring broke so I'm back to square one anyways.

I did so on mine. Wasn't a fun experience, but possible. Some lube, a small pokey thing to help it go in there, and lots of swearing. So basically a Saturday evening with the ex...
I wasn't able to find the correct fuel line for my 015. All offers i found were in fact 021/023/025 fuel lines. Read somewhere they would fit if you install them in reverse, so the curved side goes to the carb and not to the filter. Got one and installed it with a small regular fuel filter instead of the cloth type, so it fits through the hole. Doesn't seal perfectly. Not leaking much, but not good either. Maybe I try some Dirko sometimes, but the starter spring broke so I'm back to square one anyways.
Thanks very much for the quick reply 2StrokeFondler. Also for the Dirko pointer. I will have to think on it.

Hi!
Can someone please give me a sanity check on a Stihl 015 AV fuel leak issue? Reading though the chainsaw forum comments about the Stihl 015 I get the impression fuel leaks are likely due to a degraded fuel line. I am thinking I should be able to replace the fuel line from the carb side without disassembling the front fuel/oil tank. Is that correct? In the event the leak is from a degraded tank gasket, are there any sources available for a new gasket? I haven't been able to find any. Thanks!

For background - My neighbor asked me to look at his old 015 AV that has been sitting for about 10 years, he said it ran when it was put up. The gas tank was dry so I was hopeful there wouldn't be any "old gas left in the saw" problems. I put fresh gas in it, went to get the bar oil came back to see gas leaking out from under the saw.
I found a few references on this saw and see that the fuel and oil tanks are made by the front piece attaching to the main body of the saw with a gasket in between. I also understand this front piece is attached by several screws that hold a good bit of the saw together, that loosening these screws may undo other seals within the saw. Searching for parts I see the fuel line for the Stihl is rather unique looking compared to what I am use to with other brand saws I have worked on.
Stihltech - good tip, thanks!
That gasket is on EBAY.

Back