"Saving A Few Bucks" Projects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
What is one to do when they are trying to hide from the 10 kids in the house and you just got a new project saw to fix up, but no parts to fix it up with?

You make your own parts or repair the ones you already have. Some of you may have seen the starter pawls I made for my 562XP build, which I will probably post here for those who haven't. Tonight, I decided to make a few parts for the 034 I just picked up recently.

So regretfully, I dont have pictures of this first one in process. I wish I did, because it worked better than expected, and I will probably do it again. Although I know there will be some negative Nancy's on this one.

So I noticed on my 034 after mounting the bar and chain, and checking idle with a tach that the chain was still running. My first thought were weak clutch springs.

I took the clutch off, and the springs were doing almost nothing, I pulled them off with my fingers. They must've gotten hot and lost their temper. They were also stretched out. Now I could've ordered new springs, but that would take days, and cost more in shipping than the springs are worth, and where is the fun in that?

So I pulled the springs out, held the coils tightly with needle nose pliers and put them to my propane torch until cherry red.

Set them to cool in air on my anvil and repeated this for the rest of them. After they cooked, they were back to their original shape, but they still needed a heat treat.

I heated them up to cherry red and dropped them in a glass jar full of ATF as it was all I had handy.

Now knowing they were most likely at their hardened state, I pulled out an old toaster oven, put them on the tray, and heated them to 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Let them cool slowly and checked them out. They had much more resistance to pulling apart than they did before. They were also still back in their original state, and not sprung like before. I bent them back and forth to make sure they were not brittle, and they returned back to shape each time.

I put them on the clutch, installed it, and put the bar back on. With a slight adjustment to the carb, the chain wasnt spinning at idle. Success!! Time will tell how they hold up, but for as little as they actually have to move, I'm sure they will last a long time.

Here they are installed.
20200118_194702.jpg

And what to do when you are waiting on them to temper? You make another part. Also missing on this saw was the inner side plate. Luckily I had one on the 034 Super to copy.

I started with an old putty knife, as the metal had the same rigidity and thickness.
20200118_185426.jpg
Copied the original over. And started with drilling the holes while I had a handle to hold onto.
20200118_190332.jpg

And cut my slots and outside shape. The slots were the hardest part by far.
20200118_200404.jpg
Put the bend in the top, shined it up a little bit, and installed.
20200118_201229.jpg

Dont look too hard at the slots, I didnt have a good file that would fit correctly.

And yes I k ow I saved about $10 total, not counting shipping, but it was a fun little experiment, I got to use some of my former fabrication experience, a little blacksmithing, and I got to listen to some good music in the garage with my lab by my side.

And for those who didnt see this before I also made a set of starter pawls for one of my 562s because I couldnt justify spending $15 for two tiny bits of metal.

I started with an old fender shim from an old pickup I had and traced my original part.
20191222_122425.jpg
Nibbled away at it until the shape was close.
20191222_123143.jpg
20191222_123542.jpg And finished up with a file and grinder. Drilled my hole, and then decided to put some gun bluing on them to prevent rust and make them look more like the originals.
20191222_130716.jpg
Installed them and they have been working great.
20191222_133643.jpg

Now I'm sure I will keep adding to this thread as more penny pinching projects pop up, plus I just really enjoy tinkering in the garage.

Great job, I just posted in this thread ….. https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/worth-fixing-or-trash.339163/#post-7152536
about the very same thing.
It was some tinkering, but no one figures their time ordering parts, whether it's online or driving to dealer to get them, it is an hours time. Now you have a project torn down and waiting for parts, ever wonder why you don't get anything done, one hour you can do a lot! I say good for you and great job.

Great job, I just posted in this thread ….. https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/worth-fixing-or-trash.339163/#post-7152536
about the very same thing.
It was some tinkering, but no one figures their time ordering parts, whether it's online or driving to dealer to get them, it is an hours time. Now you have a project torn down and waiting for parts, ever wonder why you don't get anything done, one hour you can do a lot! I say good for you and great job.
I agree. I love tinkering on things, even if all I gain is knowledge.

Love it! I do this all the time but there are a lot of members on this forum that seem opposed to fabricating anything rather then buying it. A few years ago I got a load of grief from just making a new gasket for a leaking fuel cap.

Love it! I do this all the time but there are a lot of members on this forum that seem opposed to fabricating anything rather then buying it. A few years ago I got a load of grief from just making a new gasket for a leaking fuel cap.
Yeah, and making gaskets used to be a common thing to do. There is a strange collection of people on this forum.

The good thing is the people that wouldn't make a gasket, are the same type that would throw out a saw that didnt start.

Back