Saw choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owtlaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Right now I currently have a 572 and a 395 Husky. The 395 only has 1 hr on it. I am thinking about selling both and buying a 500i. How well will the 500 pull a 36 inch bar? My thought is that I can do the work of both my Husky's with the 500i.

Even the 661 doesn't beat a 395 in power or balance with a 36" + long bar, I cannot see a 500 keeping up. Now if you run shorter bars, then sure it probably better.

What kind of wood are you mostly in? A 500i is not a 36” saw here in the northeast in my opinion. At least not if you plan for it to wear it with any regularity

What kind of wood are you mostly in? A 500i is not a 36” saw here in the northeast in my opinion. At least not if you plan for it to wear it with any regularity
Mostly pine and other soft woods. Mostly it would be wearing a 28" bar. My thought was that it has about the same HP as my 395 and would handle the 36" when needed. I know a lot of the guys use a 36 on the 461.

Mostly pine and other soft woods. Mostly it would be wearing a 28" bar. My thought was that it has about the same HP as my 395 and would handle the 36" when needed. I know a lot of the guys use a 36 on the 461.
You'd do well in the pine for sure, because even a stock 362 will run a 25" with a full house chain in pine like a monster. If you get into the hard stuff I think it would be slow going. It's worth a shot, the 500i looks like a sweet saw. Selling both your hooskies you'd be money ahead i bet

Another dumb question. What tail mount does the 500i use?
Nevermind. I figured that out. I am wondering about the oiler though. Why is there a roll pin pressed into the case to effectively keep you from adjusting the oiler?

Latest posts

Back