Saw info and ripping help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHKRMKR315

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new saw and have pretty much decided on an Echo CS-400. I use my saw (my 1977 McCulloch just died) for simple cutting in woods and yard work as well as cutting turning blanks. The blanks require ripping and I would also like to add some log ripping. I have two questions: Can I use the CS-400 for these dual purposes if I get a ripping chain for that task. Next, most ads I see for ripping chains say they are made "For use on chain-type sawmills; not recommended for hand-held use". Is there a danger to ripping 10-16 long logs that are from 10-24" diameter with hand holding the saw? Any help or advise appreciated.

SHKMKR315

I recently started into chainsaw milling and started with a stihl 461 (76cc). It did the job but I had to push it pretty hard in the bigger wood (26”-30” stuff). I recently upgraded to the husky 3120 (120cc) out of fear I was going to melt my 461, I want to have it for firewood cutting too.

Keep in mind this is with an Alaskan mill and not milling by hand. Still a 40cc saw seems a bit small to me for prolonged ripping use. I imagine you could do it in a pinch with lots of breaks and keep the saw idling to cool down. If you have the desire to get a bigger saw I imagine you would be much happier, more power and easier on the saw.

As for the ripping chain I don’t see the problem free handing with it, I haven’t yet but I plan on it as I have a bunch laying around that will go on the firewood saws eventually. I may change the grind on it a bit, but nothing drastic to start. I also use a standard full chisel cross cut chain when milling and it works fine, I’ve got some very good results. It’s quicker and with the right control a very good end result, slightly rougher finish than the milling chain. You can also slowly grind/file your cross cut chains into ripping chains, that’s what I have started to do lately.

I hope this helps. I imagine you will get more advice from some of the really experienced helpful members on this site. I’ve been really grateful for all the help I have gotten here .

Thanks so much for the info. I think my saw choice for what I am doing is fine and there will be minimal load on it since the rip will rarely exceed 20" But all information you offered is helpful. Regards and thanks,

I would definitely spend a few bucks on a bigger saw. The cs-590 is well liked and only $100 more.

40cc is more of a limbing saw than a milling saw.

If you are getting firewood too, you could get the 400 or a 300 series for a small limbing and backup saw, and a larger machine for general use and the occasional rip cut.

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. I am now going back and forth but that consideration is valid and helpful.

Again, thanks.

Ripping is very hard for any saw. And 40cc just doesn't cut it.
Even with 20 inches.
If it overheats, you are done.
80cc's of Dolkita power didn't really work either. You'll want something torquey.
I would even say chainsaws are never made for milling/ripping, only the low revv, high torque ones do cope better. (+100 cc ones, or the working saws Dolmar 9010/Husqvarna 395xp/Stihl 660/661).
40cc saws are great, but if you anticipate doing some ripping once in a while, buy something else for that.
It's like looking for a scooter that needs to work as a moving truck occasionally.

Latest posts

Back