Saw to "pair" (kind of) with CS-590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About 7 years ago you all helped me pick out my first saw, a CS-590 is what i landed on. Havent had to use it much but i did have some storms take out some pretty big trees that i had to clean up and the saw made my life easy! I am happy with that purchase. It was nice to have when i needed it, it doesnt get used as much as it should.

I got a cabin about 2 hours away from where i live. ~3 acres pretty heavily wooded. We had a storm roll through recently and lost a decent sized tree (~18-20" diameter and id guess 60-75 feet tall) that fell across the driveway (and blocked the road). I drove up to fix my dock and arrived to the tree. I generally have a lot of cleanup to do as the previous owners hadnt done much land upkeep the last 10 or so years. A lot of fallen trees, most can stay where they fall but others would be better off cleaned up. Some trees are big oaks, some are smaller. largest probably in the 24-36" diameter. Most in the 6-16 range.

I cant always easily bring the saw from home, but can in the event i have planned heavier work to do up there. Id rather not have 2 of the same saws in both locations, so im looking for a complimentary saw. There are both Echo and Stihl dealers nearby.

Since i have a 59.8 CC, i was thinking about something in the 30-40 CC range, but i do want something with enough capability i could get by to clear the driveway if i get surprised again and do maintenance. Hoping to be in the $200-300 range. Thinking a 14-16ish bar might be "right". It would be only for occasion use and emergency use primarily. Im not really comfortable felling trees other than small ones, so mostly ground work and cleanup. Looking at peoples' posts i am considering a CS-3510, possibly CS-400 or MS180? Maybe 4510? im kind of in analysis paralysis :)

Any thoughts, ideas or input would be appreciated.

I'm partial to Echo saws. So I think you're on the right track with either the 3510 or the 400.
I've got 2 310s and would have gone with the a 352 or 400 over a second 310 but my dealer didn't have either in stock at the time and I needed a saw right then.
I find there's very little I can't do with a 590/310 combo.

I own CS-352 , Cs -590, and Cs-800p.
Cannot believe how durable the CS-352 is. I pound on this light cheap saw that has out lasted two Stihl's. CS-352 converted me to Echo brand. Like that parts are cheap at big orange store at 10pm and online for cheap.

Thanks all for the input so far! Im really torn between 3510, 400 and 4910. $100 difference between the 3 which isnt too much. 4510 and 4910 are too close in price, might as well go 4910 if im going to go 4510. 3510 seems like it might be a bit too small if something decent sized falls on the driveway (like that 18"ish, id think the 400 or 4910 would have been able to do it, maybe not the best but could have gotten it done). I have seen a lot of people pretty happy with 3510 for the price/weight; i hate to over buy with a 590 at home, but if i get up to the cabin and have to clean up i dont want to regret the saw that i have. Hoping to hit the "good enough" for big stuff but good at that 8-12 range.

It feels like the 3510 might do in a pinch, not fast but might be doable. $259
400 seems likely capable.; might be the reasonable middle ground? $300
4910 seems likely able to handle nearly everything, but 40% more than the 3510. $359.

Anyone call my BS? 400 is seeming like it might be the right middle ground? or is the extra oomph on the 4910 worth it? Any build quality difference between the xx10's and the xxx's? i know the newer models are going to 4 digits, but not sure where the 400 sits.

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Back