Saw tuning - Would Tinman pass this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick1903

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put a new carb on my 40 year old 028wb awhile ago and finally attempted to tune it. I just recently watched Tinman’s video on tuning. I had read the madsen site on their technique. Can you all tell from this, am I correctly rich enough on the H side that I’m hearing it 4 stroke and then cleaning up in the cut? That was my goal. I definitely had to enriched it on the H side to get it to 4 stroke. I was concerned it was too lean before, and I think that suspicion was concerned today given that I had to enriched it to get to where it is now. I also wonder how much adjustment would have been required given the last time I ran the saw it was 80 degrees F compared to 25F today (ie would have had to have been richer given denser air today compared to over the summer). Regardless, how does the saw sound to you all?

Attachments

• IMG_1214.MOV
    29.2 MB
Nice woodland you’ve got there! Yes sounds good, though I personally run my H a bit richer and I’d suggest sharpening that chain a bit to get it to self feed and load the powerhead up correctly. So long as the saw doesn’t clear up until it’s under good load you’re fine. If it clears up quickly when it touches the wood or quickly after, you aren’t giving your self much buffer room. If it’s a hot day and or your chain is getting dull it’s just increasing the risk of damaging the saw. Give it a bit more on the H and see if it pulls a bit harder and how it feels in the cut.

either way, you’re there with your current tune, it’s just a preference from here onwards. Happy cutting mate.

Back