Sawing that troublesome pile of sticks into smaller branches.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansoftn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This works for me and it is safe. Sawing a pile is always difficult and dangerous because one has a tendency to cut to the legs and across. Never do that. Always keep the guide in front of you like "Led Zeppelin. Also, called the Duat method.

Duat Method.png

Offset means that you operate the chainsaw outside the right side of your body ( left hand holds the front handle of the chainsaw,right hand holds the back handle ).
In that way if a kickback occurs ,the bar's arc will be outside of your body and head .
Holding a chainsaw in front of your body or even worse leaning over the chainsaw is quite dangerous ,as in the case of a kickback the bar is going to arc towards your body or head.

Also your feet should not be parallel ,but the left foot should be in front ,while the right should be further back .This stance provides good balance and stability ,while in case the chainsaw drops suddenly /unexpectedly it wont injure your feet.

Right. I think I make cuts to the right naturally. And I stand however it gives me the most stability. One foot abreast of the other is usually the strongest.

Duat Method modified.png

And more--it's surprising how easily you can get into trouble cutting small stuff, especially when it's randomly piled like that. Every stick the saw chain encounters will react differently than its neighbor. Little sharp bits flying. I've always recommended not plunging a saw into any such mess. There's better ways to dispose of it.

Just always cut from the side, and keep your entire body out of the arc of the cut.
Yep. Had a 111i and thinking about buying bigger saw. Always good to learn. I never see the farside of the guide bar, so I must be doing something right.

Back