SC252 - Current Used Pricing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftmny

Reaction score
With rising prices on just about everything I’m wondering what these grinders are currently going for? I’m looking at a 2012 with 1,100hrs with trailer in good condition. Thank you!

Man hard to say, but for reference I picked mine up with 1900 hrs and the Vermeer trailer for $6500. Was the low one and I looked for awhile, seemed to average 8-10k asking price. That’s here in Virginia and I was looking up and down the coast.

Oh and mines an 03 with an 07 Kohler. There is a dedicated thread here on the SC252, lots of good mods and advice.

Man hard to say, but for reference I picked mine up with 1900 hrs and the Vermeer trailer for $6500. Was the low one and I looked for awhile, seemed to average 8-10k asking price. That’s here in Virginia and I was looking up and down the coast.

Oh and mines an 03 with an 07 Kohler. There is a dedicated thread here on the SC252, lots of good mods and advice.
@ftmny I agree with @RyeThomas ‘s price estimates. I think I stole my 2012 with 600 hours on it at the time about 5 years ago at $7200, was worth more than 10 at that time in my opinion. At that time seen several sold for over 10 if they had under 1k hours and price seemed to range from say 6-9k for lots of hours or more beat up looking machines. These days I’m not as sure it’s been 5 years but what Ryan said seems to make sense.
Baby the Kohler. Read the thread. Do the pulley swap, green teeth, and switch them often. Disable the auto sleep when your ready.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/list-of-upgrades-to-vermeer-sc252.61193/

Sounds about right.

With rising prices on just about everything
To your original point things are definitely high everywhere now. I could swear a few years ago they were selling more in the range of 5k. Some under some over, if I saw 10 on fleebay Id laugh to myself. I remember thinking at one point that was probably what mine was worth(5k). Not sure how far back the viewable history can go on fleebay, but you can set it to view sold stuff to see easily what things have actually sold for. Anyway the now is what really matters and the market is what it is if you need it now so search and search for a deal, you can find one, I did.

A well maintained machine will keep it's value for a loooong time. Those 252s are still fabulous machines in their class, especially when they don't have that stupid operator presence system. After all those upgrades from the upgrade thread, you have a reliable friend. The limited Swing is biggest downside imho, but can't have it all.
Regarding the original question I guess you face 7-10k, depending on the condition and maintainance history.

I picked it up today for $6,900. It was once a United rental unit. Seems to run good. Going to tune it up before using. Belts bearings oil / filters etc. I already ordered a 3” pulley kit from eBay. Where is the best place to order the greenteeth upgrade? Also what is this triangle plug for, dealer diagnostics?

Attachments

• 277E310C-4473-4EEE-89BD-18D4BC18DBF3.png
    277E310C-4473-4EEE-89BD-18D4BC18DBF3.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Check out "Tree and Landscape Equipment Trader" online. Lots of grinders advertised all across the country. You can get a good idea of asking prices, and may even find one for sale in your area.

I ordered my Greenteeth kit from CEI, fast shipping and lower shipping costs than Amazon. Amazon wanted like $29 for shipping, CEI saved me over $10. Also most of this stuff is MAP priced and comes direct from Greenteeth so the price is what it is.

Only the factory can fix the computer,---dont think any of the dealers can. Its a fair sized sealed box, so I am sure the whole unit would have to be replaced, and ya, VERY expensive.
Dont let them set too long between runs either,----it confuses the computer! ---at least mine does.

Not sure what year mine is, but it was never used much and was taken care of from what I can tell. I never crowd it,--no need to and it does the job for me! --- the worst thing is getting around with that single steer wheel! LOL! ---gives ya a real work-out at times in tight places!

Man I feel the single wheel manual steer while a complete pain, locking and unlocking the wheels is a pain, but this little turd is super nimble. Did a job Thursday that any other machine just a bit larger would not have fit between all the trees the owner wanted to keep. I really want a hydraulic steer 6 wheel machine in the 40hp range with a blade but this old girl is paid for and while slow gets the job done.
Old, ugly, but still goes along, reminds me of me, lol.

Back