Scraping the bottom of the barrel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Normally only cut Red & White Oak, Hickory and Cherry. But the private Golf Club I belong to was cutting a huge # of ash. Cut in 8' 4" lengths loaded into my trailer about 4 miles from my house. The only down side was small stuff by my standards and suckers on the arm wood as the tree strived to survive the EAB.

Cutting everything on the trailer, (posts laid down so as not to cut into the deck) keeps all the sawdust contained and out of the lawn. The Case DX-33 is coming in pretty handy as does my neighbor who helped unload.

Little behind where I want to be for quantity for this time of year, but ahead of schedule on splitting.DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0007.JPG DSCF0008.JPG

Ron, have you tried cutting in the trailer and then rolling the splitter right up to the back of the trailer? Just curious. That's the way I like to do things. Takes a little more time before you're ready for the next load, but it skips a handling.

I was thinking about that but it would take too much time. I like to empty the trailer once it is loaded, at the very least take half the weight off the springs.

Ron, bottle jack would take some weight off the springs. My pal that races, when he loads up on Thursday night for Saturday races, always jacks up the trailer. (Friday nights are for drinking)

Ron, bottle jack would take some weight off the springs. My pal that races, when he loads up on Thursday night for Saturday races, always jacks up the trailer. (Friday nights are for drinking)

Good idea but getting wood like this entails no work other than driving and BSing with the boys. Normally I am on a logging site rather than the golf course. The work for the day is getting it unloaded, organized and cleaned up. A load like this enough for a doddering old fool so I have a feeling of accomplishment for the day.

Back