Scrench mod and carry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s a stupid question, but how do you carry your Scrench when you’re working in the woods?

Pocket carry doesn’t really work for me. In the front pocket screwdriver down tears the pocket and screwdriver up it pokes you. Back pocket you’re asking to tear up the seat in your vehicle.

Drill a hole in it and put a loop para cord and a carabiner? Seems like the string would be in the way tightening your chain. There’s lots of ideas on the internet. What actually works for you?

Often I get lazy and leave it with the case with the gas and oil and file and stump vice, but then it’s not with me if I need to tighten a chain or adjust the carb.

What have you personally done for years that you can swear by?

I put mine into the bucket with the logging chains, snatch block, carb screwdriver, etc.

The Stihl scabbard also has a molded-in scrench holder and a tube to store your chain file, as Henry said. To keep the file in the file tube, I bought one of those plastic buttons used to hold car interior panels on, drilled a hole in it and attached it with a piece of string so it doesn't get lost.

2A5672C0-3CC7-41F5-B29D-607ED24BF273.jpeg
This is my current one. I would do a carabiner as this is tough to get on back belt loop some times. This is interesting as I just started experimenting with something new (pic below is test from last night) as the jangling gets annoying. I think Philbert might have the way. 64230937-EAA5-47B9-B245-06BD03A47660.jpeg
My brother made the one below and he has no issues with his plug on ms261.
490B0DDA-866D-43E8-936A-57971FD5910C.jpeg

This started late summer when I lost my first wrench. I would usually keep them in carpenter leg pocket. Found a wranglerstar video and the lessons started. I am glad for this thread to inspire a new level.

Thanks guys.

I often wear carpenter style pants when cutting, so the scrench is designed to hook into a belt loop and sit in the ruler pocket along the leg.

But with the cord and carabiner, it can be clipped to, or looped around many things to prevent loss: handle of saw case, tool box, gear bag, or gas can; chaps suspenders; the handle of the saw in transport; tree branch or fence where you are sharpening; etc.

I have been making these for years and passing them out to friends. I spray painted some, and bought some factory painted orange.

Still carry a couple of extras.

Philbert

I am getting tired of mine jangling and it gets in the way of spark plug sometimes. I thought about doing that but didn’t know about fraying of cord where it leave the wrench. How long have you had yours like that?
I used a short brass chain and pop riveted it like that. Carabiner, back pocket....worked great. There was an old timer who came through the Black Hills, Charlie. He had a scabbard on his right side, scrench, two files in copper tubes, his 75' Spencer, other stuff. Pat Metz said he had everything but a change of socks. Inside his hardhat he had tape with both logging scales on it, Dec C and Scribners..... one night in the Hill City bar he bumbed 5 bucks off me....... and everyone else it seems. He was gone with the wind. We all laughed.... I learned a hell of a lot from him........God be with you Charlie. This was 1967

Latest posts

Back