Scrench mod and carry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youtuber"wranglerstar" did a review on a product sold by another youtuber "topsaw" calledthe topsaw scrench. You can buy it on treestuff or Amazon. I haven't tried it, I just keep a small bag full of tools nearby, but it looks handy.

That’s pretty handy lookin

I shortened it up to use on a belt loop. There's still enough slack to open up the e-star hitch and take it off easily when needed (left photo). It slides right back on and tightens up without issue (right photo). This is a 30" piece of paracord for this short scrench. A longer scrench might need a little more wiggle room to get it on/off the scrench. But I tried it on a bar nut and the paracord doesn't really seem to get in the way if you hold it against the screwdriver shaft. So I don't think I'll take it off very often. Time will tell.

I left the long tail on the button knot to pull it through the perfection loop. Works nicely without gloves, probably wouldn't be easy with gloves on. Overall this should work well.

If you want, DM me a mailing address and I'll send you one to try as well.

View attachment 1052510
That's a great idea.

I always carried it in muh rear jeans pocket. Don't want anything to hang up on brush and slash.

An interesting factoid--the socket on a regular bar wrench, will tighten some kind of bolt on an Eagle carriage, much to the dismay of the rigging crew who were hoping to go fishing.

I take a sacrificial scrench, and just fling it out into the woods as soon as I get there. Get losing the scrench out of the way right at the beginning.
I like that idea ( above),,,,, fact is I quit carrying it.. I use a milk crate with a cut off gallon jug in nat. fuel, lube oil and grease gun n stuff . few extra steps to get it, but I don't lose it anymore.. A piece of line on the crate makes a nice handle,, over the shoulder even.. I'm sure you feel better with my two cents...

There have been a number of threads about how many, and which tools to carry while cutting. Some guys walk long distances into the woods. Some are never far from their truck (tractor, skidder, etc.).

I like it when I can set up a little area (tree, log, tarp, etc.) where I can leave my fuel, larger tools, water, coat, etc.; maybe set up a sharpening spot. A milk crate works great for that.

Philbert

So I am going to try this when it warms up. I took a Poulan Scrench, which does not have a spark plug sized wrench only a bar nut wrench and drilled two holes through the sides of it large enough to receive the carabiner.

Simply click that scratch to the carabiner by passing the carabiner through the two holes. In one side out the other.

Nothing wrong with collecting…until one day your kid calls you a hoarder….and you realize it’s because you got $hit all over the place.

I’m downsizing my number of saws and sending misc screnches with them on their way out. I’d like to keep one Scrench in the case of each saw I keep, one on my person clipped to my chaps when I cut (subject of this post), one in my tool bucket with bag of spare parts that accompanies my gas can and maybe one on my bench.

So that’s # of saws owned + 3 max.

What are the odds I accomplish that goal?

Back