Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use a grandpa bear fisher. Took 3 men, a boy, a team of horses and most of our local national guard troops to get in on the house!!!! Worth it tho. I can’t imagine ever needing another one as heavy built as it is. Even below zero, our furnace has not ran since except for scheduled exercising of the system. Push that big thing to 600 for a while and you will be hot!

That's one of the things I would change if I was younger (known better). I would have put in a stove like yours or an OWB. But firewood wasn't as accessible back then for me and my BIL and Dad both put in Heatilators, so that's what I did. I don't think putting in fireplaces as a heat source was really a thing around back then. They were installed mainly for aesthetics. Now new homes have gas fireplaces put in. Mine keeps the main room warm, but that's about it. Furnace still runs and you have to throw in a couple of pieces every couple of hours.

That sounds just like my BIL. The only thing is He does not have any saws big enough for big trees.
Same as my BIL when we used to cut firewood with him. My Dad would drop the trees with the old Sear's saw (20" B&C) and my BIL would immediately go after the trunk with his little saw. He always wanted the best firewood. Would have made more sense to use his little saw on limbing and pulling brush. We would have gotten done quicker.

From what I know the PA line of stoves only come in three sizes; small, medium, and large. Ours is the medium.
We like the window too, although ours has some fancy cast on the glass so you can't see as much of the flame.
I have the gauge on the top left about where the middle of your pan on the left is. Mine will get up to 675 when it's real hot, it was higher last night :surprised3:, when the baffle is glowing red its a bit too hot :yes:. Normal range is 350-650.
Ok, guess ours is medium? I moved thermometer to stove top where pan was, was reading 350 on pipe, on stove top 550. So stinky lodgepole turbo temp was actually around 750-800 :surprised3:. Our thermometer says “stove pipe thermometer” on it and shows 225-475 as best operation, 475+ too hot.

Ok, guess ours is medium? I moved thermometer to stove top where pan was, was reading 350 on pipe, on stove top 550. So stinky lodgepole turbo temp was actually around 750-800 :surprised3:. Our thermometer says “stove pipe thermometer” on it and shows 225-475 as best operation, 475+ too hot.
Yes they all vary on max temp. It also changes quite a bit the higher up on the pipe you put it.

You had the log hanging from a suspended cable on a pulley?
No. I would fall the tree and then buck it up in 7ft lengths. I would then put a steel cable around it and the BIL would winch it to the ramps on his trailer. I would then disconnect that cable which was an extension and hook the cable on to the middle of the log coming from his winch. I would have to make sure the log was lined up to hit his trailer ramps evenly so it would go up without falling off.
This is the BIL standing on one the logs.
IMG_1540.JPG

No. I would fall the tree and then buck it up in 7ft lengths. I would then put a steel cable around it and the BIL would winch it to the ramps on his trailer. I would then disconnect that cable which was an extension and hook the cable on to the middle of the log coming from his winch. I would have to make sure the log was lined up to hit his trailer ramps evenly so it would go up without falling off.
This is the BIL standing on one the logs.
View attachment 958317

Yeah, that’s not yarding then.

Yeah, that’s not yarding then.
Yea I was not sure what yarding was.
I just know it is a lot of work and a pain in the but getting those logs up on that trailer.
But he does get a little more than 1 cord of wood out each one of those trees we fall. That always amazes me.

Looks like a medium to me too, but pictures can be, well you know...
Does the baffle get red when it's that high.
Ours doesn't say pipe on it, so I figured it may be illegal to put it on the pipe :laugh:.
I actually have a security brand double walled pipe that has slits/vents/holes(?) in the top and the bottom of it, I got that to let more of the heat out of the pipe into the house. If you put your hand near the slits on the top of the pipe, you can feel the flow of heat out of there, so I'm guessing it does help. Since our place is a doublewide and code is double walled :oops:, I figured this would be the best route to utilize the heat as a single wall would without breaking code and making the pipe safer for kids.
Yes they all vary on max temp. It also changes quite a bit the higher up on the pipe you put it.
Yep, ours says about 275-575 for the burn zone. When I first installed it I was trying not to go over that, I learned real quick that it would go over it with a good sized load even with the damper shut down. One time I had it loaded up with a bunch of smaller locust branches that were real crispy dry, man did it get going quick, and hot. Most times when it's below 30 if and I have a nice coal bed, then I fill it with a nice load of locust, let it rip for 12-14min, the stove will be up to 500, then I shut the damper and it will go up to 600, higher if it's colder outside like now.

Never got above 15F today and is now back in single digits.

Delivered the load of wood to my daughter, and the 15 year old grandson helped unload.

The stuff in the middle is Red Maple that I got from my brother's house, with Ash on both sides. There is more Ash in the front and in the back of the house. I split a little bit of it with the X-27, some got stacked and some went inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_142847935_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220121_142847935_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220121_142856862_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220121_142856862_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
Looks like a medium to me too, but pictures can be, well you know...
Does the baffle get red when it's that high.
Ours doesn't say pipe on it, so I figured it may be illegal to put it on the pipe :laugh:.
I actually have a security brand double walled pipe that has slits/vents/holes(?) in the top and the bottom of it, I got that to let more of the heat out of the pipe into the house. If you put your hand near the slits on the top of the pipe, you can feel the flow of heat out of there, so I'm guessing it does help. Since our place is a doublewide and code is double walled :oops:, I figured this would be the best route to utilize the heat as a single wall would without breaking code and making the pipe safer for kids.

Yep, ours says about 275-575 for the burn zone. When I first installed it I was trying not to go over that, I learned real quick that it would go over it with a good sized load even with the damper shut down. One time I had it loaded up with a bunch of smaller locust branches that were real crispy dry, man did it get going quick, and hot. Most times when it's below 30 if and I have a nice coal bed, then I fill it with a nice load of locust, let it rip for 12-14min, the stove will be up to 500, then I shut the damper and it will go up to 600, higher if it's colder outside like now.
Yeah I always wondered how you ran your stove at those temps without being too hot in the house, lol. Sounds like we run about the same. Yes when ours gets “stinky” hot the baffle starts to turn red. I thought we had the same stove (close anyway) but wasn’t sure. Sounds like similar pipe also. Ours is a kind of double wall with hole’s in outside layer at the base but no holes further up. Stove and pipe where in the house when we bought it.

Latest posts

Back