Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got about 6", but it was single digits this morning and only went up to about 15F in the afternoon, and very windy.

I did get dressed up in my warm hunting clothes this afternoon and shoveled some snow then went for a walk in the neighborhood just to stay outside for a while. I was just sick and tired of being in the house and had to get outside for a while, and walked my old dog walk route w/o a dog. Our dog Lucy is 14 and does not do much walking anymore. It is a shame, because back in the day she was a great hiker and the best swimming dog we ever had (you can't tell from looking at her, but she has Newfoundland in her, and she swims like a fish!).

I just hope she hangs in there for a while longer, because if she goes down soon my wife will really be off the rails.
All your dogs sound awesome MM I hope she hangs in there too for you and the wife losing 1 unexpectedly is bad enough but 2 withing a year I couldn't imagine it. Prayers for miss Lucy that she holds on to her health and stays strong for you guys.

You guys have been to atleast 10 different hospitals and all over the state with me and the wife. And have kept my sanity intact thru the hardships we have been facing for almost 6 months now. Not everyone I run into likes brusslesprouts or is ready to throw down over used oil for bar oil or cares you got a ragged out saw that your excited about or if you found some logs on the side of the road lol but I care about all that not only do I scrounge all of the above I scrounge the threads for a coping mechanism to deal with stress.
Who doesn't like Brussel Sprouts??

The thing I like most about reading old post is finding one where someone gives a really good answer. I think damn, that guy is really smart, and wonder who it is? Look up and it was, ME!
I will probably never have that happen!! Lol

I had a couple more loads all queued up last night but nobody was asking for a bedtime story so I figured you guys were already sleeping and didn't do any after dark. ;) They were still there this morning.
View attachment 960681View attachment 960682
We will all need therapy now after missing a day. Chipper didn’t like one of my post so I was making an appointment already anyway!!

I haven't tried drying any cookies so I can't help there. One way to deal with it in log form is to let it crack naturally and then fill the crack when it stabilizes when the project is done. I made this corner shelf from a log I cut when green - there was one major crack I filled.
View attachment 960557
I may try something like one of these for projects. Or something else, no telling until I get started! LOL
View attachment 960560View attachment 960561View attachment 960562
My friend is a really good chainsaw artist. When he moved he had one bird setting aside. I asked what he was going to do with it? He said he hated it, it was supposed to be a raptor, and what should have been a hooked bill, came out looking like a crows beak. Drove him nuts. I said I loved it, so he gave it to me. Now my hunting shack is almost done, I'd like to take it up there. But, it's kind of big, and space is very limited. I made one table that folds against the wall, so we can put a bunk under it at night. That corner shelf might be just the thing. I could put my collection of Robert Rourke on the shelves and the bird on top. In this pic it's a little hard to see, but there is a fish in it's talons and waves under the fish. The bed will go in the bedroom, the bedroom is full of building stuff. I was thinking of putting some kind of stand in the corner where the table folds down. The bird was carved out of Ash, and I have a 36" tall by 28" round block of Ash. I think that corner shelf is what I need to make next!
gNVSYzG.jpg

9jTSy7f.jpg

NsEkudh.jpg

WwbNjzA.jpg

I had a couple more loads all queued up last night but nobody was asking for a bedtime story so I figured you guys were already sleeping and didn't do any after dark. ;) They were still there this morning.
When my Dad went into business in the 70's, and I was 16, no one had ever heard of a Dingo. If we had to bring wood out of a back yard with a gate, he'd say, "Boy, get the "Go-Buggy!" It made my back hurt then, makes it hurt now! I think I may have posted this a few years back?

Is that just a standard blow up tire or one of the hard foam ones I have to order a new one and trying to decide what's best.

Another article on the future of wood burning in New York...

https://kingstonwire.com/news/2022/1/30/state-looks-to-cut-emissions-from-heating-with-wood/524onO
State Looks to Cut Emissions from Heating With Wood

by Max Freebern

KINGSTON - On a cold winter day, few things are more appealing than a nice crackling fire in either a hearth or a wood stove. And many still rely on wood to heat their homes, especially in the more remote areas of Ulster, where electricity can and does go out more often.

But state officials say reducing the volume of wood smoke in New York could improve the health of residents and help lower the state’s carbon footprint.

During its October 2020 meeting, the New York State Climate Action Council discussed the benefits of reducing the state's wood consumption by 40 percent to meet the state’s climate and air quality goals.

These goals were detailed in the state’s 2019 Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. The law mandated that the Climate Action Council find strategies to reduce the state’s greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent compared to 1990 levels by 2030. The state aims to achieve “net-zero greenhouse gas emissions,” where the volume of greenhouse gasses released is negligible compared to their reduction, by 2050.

According to the council’s 2021 Draft Scoping Plan, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that the volume of PM2.5 emissions (polluting particles two and a half microns or less in width, released by wood burning) coming from residential wood heating in New York was greater than that from other sources of residential and commercial power generation combined, even though only 2 percent of New York homes use wood heating.

The presence of PM2.5 particles is linked to symptoms like chest pain and heart rhythm changes, and could increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and asthma, according to the scoping plan. Elderly folks, children and low-income residents are particularly vulnerable to wood smoke exposure, the document continued. The council claims 40 percent of the benefits that could come from the plan are associated with reducing wood smoke.

Julie Noble, Kingston’s environmental education and sustainability coordinator, is working with Bard College and the Kingston Conservation Advisory Council (KCAC) on the “Kingston Air Quality Initiative,” which monitors the PM2.5 levels at the neighborhood scale.

On the City of Kingston website, under “Air Quality and Wood burning,” the KCAC said that using wood for heating is one of the dirtiest ways to stay warm. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration data, it was estimated that 1,573.63 tons of wood was used to fuel Kingston homes in 2010. This created 193 tons of “carbon dioxide equivalent” emissions; i.e. even though what comes out of Kingston chimneys is not all CO2, combined, it has the same effect as emitting 193 tons of carbon dioxide.

That said, reducing the amount of wood burned in Kingston isn’t the city’s priority, Noble explained.

“Per our 2010 greenhouse gas emission inventory we determined that fewer than 70 homes in Kingston use wood as their primary source of heat so the focus is really on education and electrification,” Noble wrote in an email.

In a December KCAC meeting, Bard Professor Eli Dueker explained that PM2.5 emissions are often caused when wood fuel is not fully burnt before the smoke is released. Common sources for PM2.5 emissions included campfires, brush fires and wood stoves. Bard will work with Kingston to make air-quality data available for public education while the city works to promote the use of electric for both heating and vehicles.

The state is preparing for how a cut in wood consumption may impact the economy and hopes to add thousands of jobs in new clean-energy industries. As required by the Climate Act, the Just Transition Working Group conducted a study to examine the number of jobs that would be created to combat climate change and the training required for the new workforce, according to a New York State Energy Research & Development Authority spokesperson. Initial findings reveal that New York stands to see 10 new jobs for every potential lost job in sectors involving conventional heating and fuel. This middle-wage positions, the spokesperson continued.could result in hundreds of thousands of new jobs for the state by 2030 and beyond, with the largest pay increases coming from middle-wage positions, the spokesperson continued.

NYSERDA has already committed nearly $120 million to support existing workforce development and training initiatives to prepare over 40,000 New Yorkers for emerging clean-energy jobs and to help businesses find qualified workers, according to the spokesperson. NYSERDA is also funding internships and on-the-job training for folks looking to join the clean energy workforce. One example was the $6 million Climate Justice Fellowships initiative that specifically targeted disadvantaged communities.

Is that just a standard blow up tire or one of the hard foam ones I have to order a new one and trying to decide what's best.
Mine has the standard tire and it does have a slow leak. I couldn't find the leak with soap and water. Been meaning to get a tube for it. Probably should look at foam, but I'm guessing that costs a bit more than a tube. I think I actually have a couple tires around if I do a little digging.

Mine has the standard tire and it does have a slow leak. I couldn't find the leak with soap and water. Been meaning to get a tube for it. Probably should look at foam, but I'm guessing that costs a bit more than a tube. I think I actually have a couple tires around if I do a little digging.
Maybe I'll go for the foam then since I have to replace mine then. Hopefully they can take a heavy load of splits.

that particular phrase was born while in the sandbox. one of the other Marines in my company brought a little tiny hard drive and a small tablet screen. we were watching beavis and butthead and the one teacher was prancing about singing a song about lesbian seagulls.... I looked over towards the head shed and made a comment about i thought thats whats wrong with a couple of the 2nd Lt's we had with us... I then made the comment that they must have degrees in lesbian seagull dance interpretation and thats why they were both a couple of walking clusterf**ks, and its been in my lexicon eversince. ;)

Man I miss that show! They brought it back for a few episodes a few years back and it was gold. Wish they kept making it.

Back