Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16598943820346503508900169034057.jpg
Got a few hours of splitting done this morning before the monsoon rolled in and soaked my ass. Decided to bring my scrounge-buggy home for a much over-due oil change. Compact tractors are nice, and I could see where a utv would have some benefits, but I can't get past the price tag for "a toy".

I don't have any bore sighting tools, but I do it my looking down the barrel, with the gun on sandbags, sight in on a yellow sticky on the wall, then adjust the scope accordingly. Always gets me on paper at 25 yds, then I sight in from there. (Note: I remove the shotgun barrel with the cantilever scope to do this).

The lever guns have open sights and don't need bore sighting.
Does that include M16/AR-15 metal sights??

I turn 65 today and am going on 28... Like I did for the first time in '86, I'm taking off on another multi-month bicycle trip starting tomorrow. I assume it will make me stronger... and not kill me. This also assumes I get everything done today so I can actually leave tomorrow!

I am just eating breakfast as I got so wrapped up with final prep that I forgot to eat. 🤣

This was one of the first views of the Tetons my 15 year old son and I had as we went over Togwotee Pass. When the Tetons first became visible my son stopped short in front of me and I almost creamed him. With a very concerned look on his face he said, "We're not riding over that, are we?"

View attachment 1008343
Happy birthday!

I turn 65 today and am going on 28... Like I did for the first time in '86, I'm taking off on another multi-month bicycle trip starting tomorrow. I assume it will make me stronger... and not kill me. This also assumes I get everything done today so I can actually leave tomorrow!

I am just eating breakfast as I got so wrapped up with final prep that I forgot to eat. 🤣

This was one of the first views of the Tetons my 15 year old son and I had as we went over Togwotee Pass. When the Tetons first became visible my son stopped short in front of me and I almost creamed him. With a very concerned look on his face he said, "We're not riding over that, are we?"

View attachment 1008343
Happy birthday 🥳.
Is that a log on the other side of the road 😆.

Happy birthday 🥳.
Is that a log on the other side of the road 😆.
They were doing a complete rebuild of Togwotee Pass when we were there... We rode on a combination of new road, no road, and old road. I imagine that there was a lot of firewood cut! They had multiple D10s on site and the side of the mountain was being carved away!

D10.jpg

Thank you for the birthday wishes guys. Be assured that I have big bottles of Ibuprofen and other remedies packed! I plan to camp as much as possible. With that I just picked up a Therm-A-Rest backpacking air mattress... My old Therm-A-rest self-inflating pad, even with a closed cell foam pad under it, just wasn't going to cut it! 🙄

Well I have the day off today. So Im going to blow out my primary felling saw with air, inspect plug, fuel filter, and air filter, and tune a few chains by removing gullets, bring down rakers and then a light touch on the grinder. 👍 I was going to post a pic of the strip of beautiful timber I was cutting the other day, but yesterday. My boss pulled me out of it and put me in a real s**t patch yesterday morning. A thick stand of whips, tall skinny snags, and 12" to 18" "Reprod!" (natural second growth reproduction) Oh its a real crap patch of thick limb locked timber to say the least. I had to cripple five, six, seven, sometimes more. One by one until they would finally all commit at once! Yeah it was a lot if fun! NOT!!
On top of it. He took over my gravy strip once he saw how good of cut'n I was in!!! 🤨 Boss' for ya! 🤔 Must have done something to piss him off! 😂🤣😂🤣
So here's a couple pics of yesterday morning on the drive to work. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! IMG_20220806_060849616_HDR.jpgIMG_20220806_060844659.jpg

Oh $hit! I saw you mention bicycle in your previous post and my brain translated it to motorcycle. Eh, no big deal, not my thing. Then I saw the bike in the photo above and I thought, wow! Bicycle ride at 65 and in the mountains! Oh my knees are hurting. a little nuts for exercise (lol). But then there's some that say I'm crazy for the things I do. Vacationing at Glacier a few times, I'd always run into bicyclists going over the pass. My hat's off to you. Happy BD.

Well I have the day off today. So Im going to blow out my primary felling saw with air, inspect plug, fuel filter, and air filter, and tune a few chains by removing gullets, bring down rakers and then a light touch on the grinder. 👍 I was going to post a pic of the strip of beautiful timber I was cutting the other day, but yesterday. My boss pulled me out of it and put me in a real s**t patch yesterday morning of thick whips tall skinny snags and 12" to 18" "Reprod!" (natural second growth reproduction) Oh its a real crap patch of thick limb locked timber. I had to cripple five, six, seven, sometimes more. One by one until they would finally all commit at once! Yeah it was a lot if fun! NOT!!
On top if it he took over my gravy strip once he saw how good of cut'n I was in!!! 🤨 Boss' for ya! 🤔 Must have done something to piss him off! 😂🤣😂🤣

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! View attachment 1008395View attachment 1008396
Yea **** on ur boss , lol 😆

They were doing a complete rebuild of Togwotee Pass when we were there... We rode on a combination of new road, no road, and old road. I imagine that there was a lot of firewood cut! They had multiple D10s on site and the side of the mountain was being carved away!

View attachment 1008388
Just something about a 200,000lb dozer that gets my attention every time I see one! 😁 Those D10's and D11's are impressive to say the least! 👍

Slowing down on the wooding. I am rapidly working my self out of a job going at it every day. Been doing it for about 3hours every second day but I am going to increase that to every 3rd day. I only have that willow bush clearance left and have found nothing more for the future. Even taking it slow there can't be more than another year or two in there. Dunno what I'll do after that. I've looked everywhere within 30 miles of the house.

Just something about 200,000lb dozer that gets my attention every time I see one! 😁 Those D10's and D11's are impressive to say the least! 👍

As are the operators. Sitting way up high on the tractor while on a steep sidehill !!! We farmed some pretty steep fields back in my teen years but at least the tractor seat was near the ground.

Oh $hit! I saw you mention bicycle in your previous post and my brain translated it to motorcycle. Eh, no big deal, not my thing. Then I saw the bike in the photo above and I thought, wow! Bicycle ride at 65 and in the mountains! Oh my knees are hurting. a little nuts for exercise (lol). But then there's some that say I'm crazy for the things I do. Vacationing at Glacier a few times, I'd always run into bicyclists going over the pass. My hat's off to you. Happy BD.
Yeah.... riding over Hoosier Pass and other passes was a challenge. Nothing like cycling at 11,539 feet above sea level to slow you down! That's only about 2 miles above the level where I live... 😵

Yeah.... riding over Hoosier Pass and other passes was a challenge. Nothing like cycling at 11,539 feet above sea level to slow you down! That's only about 2 miles above the level where I live... 😵
Wow! Impressive to say the least I must say! 👍 Good on ya! I hope my cardio is that good at your age. But I doubt it will be, It's not even close to that good now! When I was younger. I gave up smoking and rode my Mt bike to our small rural post office and back home a couple times a week and Kayaked the route along the beach (about 12 miles round trip) there and back once a week. I was a hunting, hiking meat packing machine. As I was also jumping back and fourth between working the decks of crab boats on the Bering Sea in the winter and falling timber in the Summer. ☝️ Of course I took Fall off for hunting reasons that need no explanation! 🤣😂 Then I got back into off-road Moto Cross, bought a power boat, and picked up smoking again about 12 years ago. As my kayak and Mt bike collect dust. My cardio is going back down hill. 👎 Lets just say that a sheep hunt right now would kick my a** to say the least! I really gotta give up smoking again. My only saving grace is that my profession keeps me in decent shape. However, I would be in much better condition and have more energy if I would just give up these frick'n "death sticks!"

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Wow! Impressive to say the least I must say! 👍 Good on ya! I hope my cardio is that good at your age. But I doubt it will be, It's not even close to that good now! When I was younger. I gave up smoking and rode my Mt bike to our small rural post office and back home a couple times a week and Kayaked the route along the beach (about 12 miles round trip) there and back once a week. I was a hunting, hiking meat packing machine. As I was also jumping back and fourth between working the decks of crab boats on the Bering Sea in the winter and falling timber in the Summer. ☝️ Of course I took Fall off for hunting reasons that need no explanation! 🤣😂 Then I got back into off-road Moto Cross, bought a power boat, and picked up smoking again about 12 years ago. As my kayak and Mt bike collect dust. My cardio is going back down hill. 👎 Lets just say that a sheep hunt right now would kick my a** to say the least! I really gotta give up smoking again. My only saving grace is that my profession keeps me in decent shape. However, I would be in much better condition and have more energy if I would just give up these frick'n "death sticks!"

Yea KK get rid of those smigs ,

899956CE-A518-46B1-A497-ECD4854B055C.jpeg

Well I have the day off today. So Im going to blow out my primary felling saw with air, inspect plug, fuel filter, and air filter, and tune a few chains by removing gullets, bring down rakers and then a light touch on the grinder. 👍 I was going to post a pic of the strip of beautiful timber I was cutting the other day, but yesterday. My boss pulled me out of it and put me in a real s**t patch yesterday morning of thick whips tall skinny snags and 12" to 18" "Reprod!" (natural second growth reproduction) Oh its a real crap patch of thick limb locked timber to say the least. I had to cripple five, six, seven, sometimes more. One by one until they would finally all commit at once! Yeah it was a lot if fun! NOT!!
On top if it he took over my gravy strip once he saw how good of cut'n I was in!!! 🤨 Boss' for ya! 🤔 Must have done something to piss him off! 😂🤣😂🤣

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! View attachment 1008395View attachment 1008396
Pretty sure you said he was a husqy guy.... your a stihl guy.... kinda makes sense why he gave you the **** work lol.
Just something about a 200,000lb dozer that gets my attention every time I see one! 😁 Those D10's and D11's are impressive to say the least! 👍
See if the pictures upload. Both are at rosebud coal in sumerset. Pa. 992k and d11r brand new at the time. The cat dealer didn't bother to charge the ac system in the machines after they finished building them. I was there working on some other equipment and was told to finish them off. Got to play with both of them for a little. Fun machines, strong machines. I was the first to load coal with the 992k awsome to run compared to the older C models.

Just quit smoking about 3 moths ago after watching a co worker have a stoke. He smoked at least 3 packs while he was at work. His wife told us the Dr said the smoking was a big factor leading up to his stroke. Really woke me up to my bad habits.

Back