Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure you said he was a husqy guy.... your a stihl guy.... kinda makes sense why he gave you the **** work lol.

See if the pictures upload. Both are at rosebud coal in sumerset. Pa. 992k and d11r brand new at the time. The cat dealer didn't bother to charge the ac system in the machines after they finished building them. I was there working on some other equipment and was told to finish them off. Got to play with both of them for a little. Fun machines, strong machines. I was the first to load coal with the 992k awsome to run compared to the older C models.

Just quit smoking about 3 moths ago after watching a co worker have a stoke. He smoked at least 3 packs while he was at work. His wife told us the Dr said the smoking was a big factor leading up to his stroke. Really woke me up to my bad habits.
Keep up the good work it’s all worth it 👍

Pretty sure you said he was a husqy guy.... your a stihl guy.... kinda makes sense why he gave you the **** work lol.

See if the pictures upload. Both are at rosebud coal in sumerset. Pa. 992k and d11r brand new at the time. The cat dealer didn't bother to charge the ac system in the machines after they finished building them. I was there working on some other equipment and was told to finish them off. Got to play with both of them for a little. Fun machines, strong machines. I was the first to load coal with the 992k awsome to run compared to the older C models.

Just quit smoking about 3 moths ago after watching a co worker have a stoke. He smoked at least 3 packs while he was at work. His wife told us the Dr said the smoking was a big factor leading up to his stroke. Really woke me up to my bad habits.
Whatever you do, don't pick them f'n things back up! Find a hobby, chew some gum, get a girlfriend, whatever it takes Bud!

Whatever you do, don't pick them f'n things back up! Find a hobby, chew some gum, get a girlfriend, whatever it takes Bud!
Unfortunately my wife still smokes o that doesn't help, but I climb structures and rig at work and I can actually breath after climbing a 200 foot truss so I have no intentions of picking it back up. Now if I could just convince my wife to quit that would be just great.

View attachment 1008374
Got a few hours of splitting done this morning before the monsoon rolled in and soaked my ass. Decided to bring my scrounge-buggy home for a much over-due oil change. Compact tractors are nice, and I could see where a utv would have some benefits, but I can't get past the price tag for "a toy".
My little Kubota serves it's purpose very well. The UTV is nice, and wears many hats, but you are right, the price of them is freaking ridiculous. I won't even tell you what ours cost. You'd probably think I was lying.

Sorry guys, I had to pull these off my old phone. This is back in 2011 I think. Cat 992k and a D11r. Brand new that year. Power houses of machines. Of tou zoom in on the D11 you can see my coworker standing by the track. Gives some comparison to size. I'm 5'9" he was about 4" shorter then me.

Attachments

• 0601111952-00.jpg
    0601111952-00.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0601111952-01.jpg
    0601111952-01.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0426111336-00.jpg
    0426111336-00.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 0
My little Kubota serves it's purpose very well. The UTV is nice, and wears many hats, but you are right, the price of them is freaking ridiculous. I won't even tell you what ours cost. You'd probably think I was lying.
Humor us, last time I looked at a side by said it was $16k new when yamaha came out with the liter motor and 5 speed transmission. That was years ago now.

Humor us, last time I looked at a side by said it was $16k new when yamaha came out with the liter motor and 5 speed transmission. That was years ago now.
Including the plow that we ordered with it, which is electrically operated, so that you don't have to get out of the machine to manually angle the blade, and it raises without using the winch, double your number.

Including the plow that we ordered with it, which is electrically operated, so that you don't have to get out of the machine to manually angle the blade, and it raises without using the winch, double your number.
Honestly that doesn't surprise me too much.

Unfortunately my wife still smokes o that doesn't help, but I climb structures and rig at work and I can actually breath after climbing a 200 foot truss so I have no intentions of picking it back up. Now if I could just convince my wife to quit that would be just great.
Yeah one of the other cutters on the crew smokes. He always has two or three on the way to work and every time he gas's up his saw when he's cutt'n a strip. Its hard not to light up in the crummy on the way to work when he's smoking right next to me. I have it down to one on the morning driving to work. I leave my smokes in the crummy while Im working. Then one on the way back to camp and I leave the pack in the pickup overnight. I'm getting better. But I haven't quit until I've completely quit! Its a disgusting non sense habit for sure! 👎

Honestly that doesn't surprise me too much.
It did me. Now I'm looking at a 74 HP tractor with cab, and (this tastes bad even coming out of my mouth) looking for the cheapest new one that I can find with a loader, and they're 50K. I just don't know if I can bring myself to spend that this year as well.

Yeah one of the other cutters on the crew smokes. He always has two or three on the way to work and every time he gas's up his saw when he's cutt'n a strip. Its hard not to light up in the crummy on the way to work when he's smoking right next to me. I have it down to one on the morning driving to work. I leave my smokes in the crummy while Im working. Then one on the way back to camp and I leave the pack in the pickup overnight. I'm getting better. But I haven't quit until I've completely quit! Its a disgusting non sense habit for sure! 👎
Keep at it mate. I've tried to quit several times before, but so far this has lasted the longest. I'm about at the point where rhe smoke stinks when someone lights up at work. Figure thats my brain getting back to normal. Also not hacking my lungs up every morning is nice.

It did me. Now I'm looking at a 74 HP tractor with cab, and (this tastes bad even coming out of my mouth) looking for the cheapest new one that I can find with a loader, and they're 50K. I just don't know if I can bring myself to spend that this year as well.
Before I got(stole) my old B series I went to messicks to get a quote on a new B2601. Had the salesman stop at $26k and thanked him for humoring me. The 8 to 12 month lead time for the tractor was bad enough, but with the list of attachment I wanted and would have to wait for all them to show up killed the deal fater then the money end of it. Its crazy what everything cost right now, even used. 10 year old tractors for 3/4 the cost of a new machine.

Before I got(stole) my old B series I went to messicks to get a quote on a new B2601. Had the salesman stop at $26k and thanked him for humoring me. The 8 to 12 month lead time for the tractor was bad enough, but with the list of attachment I wanted and would have to wait for all them to show up killed the deal fater then the money end of it. Its crazy what everything cost right now, even used. 10 year old tractors for 3/4 the cost of a new machine.
Ya, unfortunately I couldn't agree more.

I went with a lightly used 6 yo ag cab tractor w/loader. With only 260 hrs, it was about 15K less than a new one, and Tier 2. It's still worth close to what I paid for it 8 years and 1000hrs later.
Depending in the brand and model it's likely worth more then what you paid for it. Only reason I got my B7510 so cheap was it didn't have a loader, the pictures showed it was on the rough side, needed new tires and no pictures of the belly mower. Got there realized it's was actually in pretty good shape mechanically, low balled the amd ended up taking it home. With 4 new r14 style tires and building my loader (with ssqa) I have right over $7k in it. Cheapest way I could get into the size (smallest that would work) I needed.

Wow! Impressive to say the least I must say! 👍 Good on ya! I hope my cardio is that good at your age. But I doubt it will be, It's not even close to that good now! When I was younger. I gave up smoking and rode my Mt bike to our small rural post office and back home a couple times a week and Kayaked the route along the beach (about 12 miles round trip) there and back once a week. I was a hunting, hiking meat packing machine. As I was also jumping back and fourth between working the decks of crab boats on the Bering Sea in the winter and falling timber in the Summer. ☝️ Of course I took Fall off for hunting reasons that need no explanation! 🤣😂 Then I got back into off-road Moto Cross, bought a power boat, and picked up smoking again about 12 years ago. As my kayak and Mt bike collect dust. My cardio is going back down hill. 👎 Lets just say that a sheep hunt right now would kick my a** to say the least! I really gotta give up smoking again. My only saving grace is that my profession keeps me in decent shape. However, I would be in much better condition and have more energy if I would just give up these frick'n "death sticks!"

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Yeah... give up the cigs... I've lost both my brothers and many friends with smoking being a major factor in their demise. Most of those folks were in their 50s and early 60s... a few made it further but had life hampering health problems that were attributed to their smoking.

Well I have the day off today. So Im going to blow out my primary felling saw with air, inspect plug, fuel filter, and air filter, and tune a few chains by removing gullets, bring down rakers and then a light touch on the grinder. 👍 I was going to post a pic of the strip of beautiful timber I was cutting the other day, but yesterday. My boss pulled me out of it and put me in a real s**t patch yesterday morning. A thick stand of whips, tall skinny snags, and 12" to 18" "Reprod!" (natural second growth reproduction) Oh its a real crap patch of thick limb locked timber to say the least. I had to cripple five, six, seven, sometimes more. One by one until they would finally all commit at once! Yeah it was a lot if fun! NOT!!
On top of it. He took over my gravy strip once he saw how good of cut'n I was in!!! 🤨 Boss' for ya! 🤔 Must have done something to piss him off! 😂🤣😂🤣
So here's a couple pics of yesterday morning on the drive to work. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! View attachment 1008395View attachment 1008396
If you don't mind me asking, you getting paid by scale or just a day rate? If by scale, that just sounds criminal.

I'm supposed to be on vacation this week, yet there are saws in my pickup lol.

Did an epic day of high country singletrack on the moto, came home tonight and had to unload the moto stuff, and load saw stuff into it. Early day tomorrow, IDK why I'm still up...side work climbing and falling for a buddy's land clearing biz.

The only pic I took from today's ride:
20220807_145617.jpg

...and back to reality lol:
20220807_211133.jpg

Yeah that's good I've been quit 16 years now. I smoked about 2 packs a day and many more if I was at the bar. Met my wife and she didn't smoke so I threw the pack I had away bought some mints and that was the end of that. Same thing as you though after about a month I could breathe way better and food tasted great.

Latest posts

Back