Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice stash of wood you got there. I also do something similarly under my deck. It has a ceiling so everything stays dry. But I only put four 10' rows under there. The rest is living space.

I can't understand what keeps the uprights on your wood racks from spreading apart?

Yo okur dog hunt, other than firewood?
IMG_20220814_152756.jpg
The dog is just a pet. She came from coyote hunters but just a suck for us. The racks. I boxed the end so the uprights are held by the inside and outside. They still spread a bit but are pretty sturdy

That's bout right. I climbed up in my BIL's stand this morning while I was hauling wood and took a few pics of all the new shooting lanes I cleared for him this summer. I pointed out to him that he could now drive his wife's Buick right to his seat and just kind of circle around on his way out without even having to back up. He didn't seem impressed, but we all know how hard headed brother-in-laws can be.20220814_080011.jpg

Cleaned up some of our backyard and look who comes to visit us. He came right up behind our garage and walked up the driveway to cross the road. I'll try to load the video.
Yea almost a daily occurrence at my home 🐻 becoming like squirrels everywhere lol

We've made it through the latest that wave! Phew! High in the end was only 34C, for the last few days, but must be the humidity or something as it's felt more unpleasant than the 40C! It's supposed to drop to 29C tomorrow then 23-26 for the next fortnight. Rain forecast for Wednesday! Thunder showers...I hope we get a decent amount but fear it will be very little and the drought will continue.
Still, with a forecast of 23C next weekend I should finally be able to do some wooding. I more or less had everything done by the start of July when this heat wave started so I've done very little since... Just filled a few sacks and took a trailer of wood to mum, plus a few minutes splitting the remaining logs in the bucked pile here and there. I have however had about a m³ of the nasty big 'slip a disc or get a hernia' sized crotches out the front of them house still since the deliveries back in April. If the forecast is right then next weekend they big saw comes out again.

Hate to go against the grain guys (even though I generally agree with you), but I'm thinking of making a custom gun.

Not that my Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 will not do anything I need done (especially with slightly hot handloads that shoot 1").

The problem is the current trend is small bore (6.5 and 6.8 mm), and I like a little larger (but not 45, etc). I'm very disappointed that very few manufacturers even chamber the 338 Federal, which seems to me to be a very good cartridge.

I'm thinking of having a 338-06 made up ... I think it would be perfect for heavy brush. I've also noticed over the years that larger diameter bullets kill faster, and a fully expanded 338 is much larger than a fully expanded 30. I don't mind a long action, and the 06 case seems to be the perfect size, and your magazine capacity will be greater than with a magnum.

My Nephew (MechanicMatt) took his nice buck (up at my property) with a Ruger M77 chambered for 35 Whalen, a combo that was only offered for a short time and is NLA.

Was going to do it for my 70th, but shortages of everything precluded me from doing so. I guess what I'm really looking for is something that performs like my 348 but allows me to use a scope! There is just something about using a cartridge that not everyone else has, especially if it works even better!

FYI, there are no 1,200 yd shots in the thick woods, I've only taken one deer much past 100 yds and it was within 150 yds. Open field hunting is much different.
Don't get me wrong Mustang M Some new cartridges do have a place in the line up of new and old. A 30-06 necked up to a .338 sounds like a good cartridge to me, but for particular reasons and purposes. I feel that way about most cartridges. Just out of curiosity. Have you researched the info on that design. I want to say I may have seen a 30-.338 as a wildcat in one of the late Frank C Barnes' (a ballistics and projectile genius by the way) several edition's of Cartridge's of the World, but don't quote me on that. I could very well be wrong. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was either. Being both the case and projectile caliber as popular as they are. It really does sounds like an interesting cartridge Mike. IMOP There is no do it all perfectly cartridge, and I know that's not what your saying. Im just stating that some come close, but no cigar. I've been studying ballistics sence I was a young teen. I could sit down and have intelligent conversations with ballistician's at 15. They would look at my dad and say "Im impressed that he knows that"? I also wanted to develop my own cartridge in my late teens. A .264 high powered capacity magnum type cartridge for long range shooting. Basically a 6mm Magnum. The more I thought about it. The more I convinced myself. Why? There are plenty of great bench rest cartridges out there already. So I lost interest in the idea. That was thirty years ago. Now look. There a number of new long range 6mm cartridges out. 🤔 How many are actually needed or do it that much better than any other long range 6mm cartridge? IMOP NONE! They are all just knock offs of the 6mm PPC or 6mm Bench Rest. However, like I mentioned earlier. Some new cartridges out now are very useful and with a unique and smart design. For example. Both the .375 and .416 Ruger. The .375 Ruger out performs the .375 H&H witch is an outstanding big game cartridge that's been around for a very long time! And it dose it in a standard length action vs. a long action like the H&H. Ruger's. 416 is also a standard length action unlike its long action cousins Rigby and Remington, but the ballistics between the three are so similar they all do the same job very well. The only difference is the .416 Ruger has a little bit faster action when chambered in a bolt gun. Faster action in a Dangerous Game stoping rifle? 🤔 Yes Please!!! The .338 Federal, .308 Blackout and a few other newbies are all good designs and ideas IMOP, but only a select few. Just my two cents. We all have our options, advice or info. Just wanted to share some of mine.
So shoot at the range often. Come rain or shine. Because any range time is a good time! 👍

Is that private land you’re working on?
Yes, Native land. The North West section of Afognak Island is Federal Land and a National Wildlife Refuge. Witch means. No logging, buildings, motorized vehicles on land, and a several thousand acre beautiful and protected old growth Sitka Spruce rain forest! 👍

I brought home my first of hopefully 3 loads of of firewood...

J/K, this is not going to become firewood...it's the walnut I scrounged, now I just need to get it milled.
20220814_183126.jpg.0e100c2479d5fee6fcaba5844cdf7eb1.jpg

J/K, this is not going to become firewood...it's the walnut I scrounged, now I just need to get it milled.
That is some good look'n stuff! 👍 When I look at that. I see rifle stock's! Lots and lots of beautiful rifle stocks! 😂😉

Just thought Id post a pick of the view from our kitchen in the single wide trailer we live in at camp. A nice little sea side lake, small grove of small Spruce, and even two little bits of ocean view! 😂 I had to slash the alders the other day. They were blocking the view something fierce! I Stihl need to stack and burn the slash one of these evening's.
Good night gents and...

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! IMG_20220814_200008901_HDR.jpg

Most definitely! 👍 Heck, if I lived near you. I'd put in an order for a couple milled out sticks for sure!

Yeah, I'm still debating on what I want them sawn into...I'm used to the softwoods, where I either do dimensional lumber or 2" slabs. These I was thinking some 2" slabs, but also 3,4" or whatever else so it gives the end user some wiggle room to do whatever they want with it.

Yeah, I'm still debating on what I want them sawn into...I'm used to the softwoods, where I either do dimensional lumber or 2" slabs. These I was thinking some 2" slabs, but also 3,4" or whatever else so it gives the end user some wiggle room to do whatever they want with it.
I was going to mention smaller beams or something along that line for the very same reason of giving the customer options, but there not my log's. However, now that you have mentioned it. When in Rome!....😉

what's the diameter of those logs? Looks about only 12"? Not a lot of BF if so.

Latest posts

Back