Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close, the 30-03 was in there for a few years, then the 30-06. (03 and 06 referring to the year). 03 had a 220 grain round nose bullet. The 7 mm Mauser spitzer rounds embarrassed them, so the 06 had lighter spitzer bullets.

The 30-40 replaced the old 45-70 as our military cartridge.

This evening I was riding my Mt Bike back to camp from checking on my boat that's moored about two miles out of camp in a tucked in cove protected from weather. As I was pedaling down the main line. I heard a bugle in the distance about half a mile away. I stopped my Mt bike and listened again. A few seconds later, another bugle. Now I had the animal pin pointed. I peddled quietly off the main line onto the spur road I heard the bull. I most always have field glasses with me. but not always my phone for a camera, but thus time I did have my phone!👍 About a quarter mile down the spur I spotted a small bull and four cows. I thought to myself "Im going to try and pull off a stalk for some pics and viewing pleasure." I lay my bike down on the spur road and continue on foot the quarter mile to the Elk. They were slowly making there way to a small drainage on the other side of a knoll with a gravel pit at the base of it, and the weather gage was mine!👍 Perfect! I slowly made my way the the bottom of the gravel pit. At the top was a nice quiet blanket of moss and a few stumps. It couldn't have been a better senerio for a good stalk! As I made it to the top of the gravel pit I got on my hands snd knee's in the moss snd continued slowly to the top of the knoll. Then I heard the Alfa again and this time he was close!!! As I was getting ready to crest. A spike stood up 20yrds away from me that I didn't even know was there! I couldn't believe he didn't bust me! Yes! I'm Stihl in the game! View attachment 1019279
I froze in my tracks behind a stump and slowly laid down. I heard the satellite spike mosy off. Just as I started up to the crest again right were the spike was. A 5x5 walked up! I'm not kidding! I cant make this **** up! 20yrds! View attachment 1019280
My heart is pounding at this point. The season is closed to rifle and I have no bow tag but the experience was just as fun hunting with a camera! 👍 The 5x5 walked off also as I lie Stihl snapping photos. I crested shortly after and I couldn't believe my eyes! I snuck right up on a heard of 40 plus animals! Including a 6x7 Roosevelt Bull Elk at about 100yds in the middle of them all! 😂🤣😂 View attachment 1019273View attachment 1019281
I just laid there for probably 45 minutes watching through my Swaro's and taking videos and pictures of the magnificent animals as the cows talked to each other and the Alfa bugled for more females to join his harem until sunset. View attachment 1019282
Then I snuck back down to my Mt bike and left the heard in peace. Without them even knowing I was there! 👍 It was truly awesome and I'll never forget the hunt that I shot an entire heard of elk with my cell phone! 😉
WOW! ... almost as good as Alaska Daily.... 👍

Excellent question! All of the above.👍Also Roosevelt Elk are simply a bigger species of Elk than their cousins the Rocky Mountain Elk. However, apparently the Rosie's on Afognak are the biggest of all the Roosevelt heard's found in North America. They were originally transplanted off The Olympic Peninsula from Washington state in the mid 1900's I believe.
so says the AK prof! glad u asked!

;) i don't think we read about that in Jr High and Washington State History class... maybe better blueberries in AK ~

I always knew you were a stalker 🤣.
Great experience, and you didn't have to clean anything(except maybe your pants), or carry anything else out, except the weight of your jewels :numberone:.
i was wondering, too!? was that a bear on the path? :surprised3: not wanting to change my pants, i prob would have changed direction... and in a hurry! :surprised3:

Awesome Story brother ! :blob2: Quick story , because my heart began to race , just reading your lead in to the pix's you took from 20 yds from that Elk . :blob2: 8 yrs back I went on a moose hunt with friends & family up North of Chapleau Ontario . A place a former AS member Alley Yooper frequented & fished often . My Son & I travelled there with my former 1990 Ford Diesel Lariat F-250 with my 8' Overhead Camper on it , towing our sled trailer with 2 Yamaha 660 Grizzly Quads strapped down . We hunted for 4 days . We arrived late Thursday evening around 5 Pm . The other group of 4 friends had been there earlier , on Monday to establish shooting lanes & make calls & check for rubs & other sign . We arrived and no sooner were set up when 2 buddies showed up to advise us that 3 bulls & 2 cows , one with calf had been spotted . The other 2 friends were still out & had called to advise one Bull was down . I along with the eldest father of the 1st group headed out to help with the retrieval . I got there & saw that the Bull had been shot in a clear cut . The shot was 150 Yds . The young hunter said he was driving and saw some movement while on his quad . Stopped & glassed the area , Nothing ? Frustrated he went back to his quad , was about to mount his quad & place his rifle in the gun case . When he quickly looked back over his shoulder , he suddenly saw a young 5 yr old bull stand up broad side at at 200 yds from a 3 ' depression . He waited for 5 minutes until the Bull slowly strutted to within 150 yds & dropped him in his tracks. We gutted the animal & brought him out on a snowmobile trailer , to our base camp 5 miles further North for field dressing. & a few well earned Cordials. Later that evening at the fire pit , the other two group members , advised me of a Older Bull with one rack antler & palm missing , likely from the rut , following a mature Cow . They were located on a small pond basin & pasture 3 miles south east of camp . I has a bull tag & my Son had heard that the younger son of the other group had a cow tag . The next morning I drove the quad to with 1/2 mile of the pond . The frost was heavy on the ground and a brisk wind was blowing out of the North. The walk to the creek crossing into the pond was 300 yds and another 250 yds to the east pasture & basin around the pond which was 200 yds wide to 1/4 mile long , to the far west end. I was on the way in , when my Son radiod me to say he was at the other end of the pond . He further stated , he had picked up track of a single moose walking along the sand roadway into the pond & heading directly my way . I told him I would set up & make a few calls within 20 minutes . I reached the tree line and welcomed the wind break the tree line provided from the North wind . No sooner in the bush I heard crack , a small tree or branch breaking 50 yrs to my right ? I was 50 yds from walking out of the bush below the North west ridge where the noise had originated . I walked out to the fringe of the pasture 50 ' from the water and made 3 long calls . I had no sooner put away the birch bark call & I heard a calf bleat . I froze , slowly turned around & looked for a cow or calf in the tree line . Nothing ! I quickly ran to a small burnt out jack pine root structure . It resembled a WWII foxhole . In it immediately took out my binoculars , caught my breath and scanned behind me , again nothing visible within the nearby tree line . I checked my rifle , flipped off my scope caps from the Redfield & took the safety off the Remington 700 bolt action. 300 Mag. & heard another bleat of a calf behind me . At this point I also heard another crack directly in front of me but east at approx 200 yds , thankfull with the wind in my face . Suddenly the radio crackled , its was my son who said the Bull had left the road & was heading directly towards me & likely closing fast , perhaps reacting to my previous calls . I advised him of the action also behind me of a calf , perhaps with a cow . I pulled out my binoculars , scanned behind me again , nothing . Looked to my east nothing , picked up the binoculars & immediately saw a 5 yr old mature Bull missing one rack walk out onto the tundra grass around 100 yds east of me . I carefully picked up the 700 Remington , flicked off the safety & set the cross hairs for a lung heart shot . The BDL rang out & the 220 gr. Nozler did it's job . The bull turned , quartered & folded within 10 yds . The radio crackles again , was that you my Son questioned ? Yep , another bull down & only the 2nd day at camp I answered . We harvested the bull that afternoon , with the assistance of the other 4 members of the group , never did see the cow or hear the calf again that long weekend . However the next yr we did down a calf & young bull in the same vicinity , which may have been the same ghostly pair from the previous year . Both years were Miller Time Specials that I will never forget , that included close friends & family enjoying life & nature at its best brother ! Sorry for the not so short story , however , Al always liked a good hunting tale , rest in peace my friend your story's were unrivaled ! :)
i :heart: that guy's quick, short stories.... 👍
:givebeer:

I don't know about mine being unrivaled, because yours is a great story as well! 👍IMOP, hunting is about so many different things other than just the harvest of the animal being hunted. As I've mentioned to you before, the memories last a lifetime! Especially when hunting with family! 😉 Wether a trigger is squeezed and a tag is punched or not. The stories about our hunts remain in our hearts and minds and are told throughout the years to come. To other friends, family, or even sometimes just a passer by at the airport or pub that we will never see again! Good on ya! 👍
i still remember the day my dad and i were on a steep wooded mtn side in OR. Hunting deer. maybe 7 or so. he said go that way, i'll go this way. big downed old gray trunk to get around... and as i started to head out... up popped a very BIG elk! scared the _ _ _ _! all but out of me... :surprised3: no, not! i dont want to.....'

u want to come this way with me? yes-s.......

ok, then!....come on, we'll go this way....

sorry to hi-jack the thread... finally got off my tail yesterday. moved the pecan for smoking and cleaned up some scrounged oak. made a new wood pile, too. always in clean-up mode! just some scrounge i drug in. i watched about 2 cords get hauled away day before. wood pickup month. ez stuff on curb. but, i had plenty and it was not cut and stacked... yet. ez to get behind on agendas... next step is a saw clean up and file kisses to its chain! fired right up. ran great. even handled the small stuff with ease! ;) :rolleyes:

P1010023.JPGP1010024.JPGP1010018.JPGP1010020.JPG

for me, since i don't have to heat thru cold months with wood, its about the fire! no wood, no fire. there is still several ez scrounges of oak to be had. one kiddie corner to me. a good wb or two, close. trim it, cut it and walk it home. no splitting req'd... my kinda firewood! :) :heart: the smoke!! filled my immediate area of neighborhood couple times yesterday... London fog like.... guy asked me other day, so u do a lot of cooking? yes, i said :rolleyes:

sorry to hi-jack the thread... finally got off my tail yesterday. next step is a saw clean up and file kisses to its chain! fired right up. ran great. even handled the small stuff with ease! ;) :rolleyes:
P1010019.JPG
my camp ops always call for the small stuff. once fire going, then post kindling need some small stuff. and at times need to feed the bigger stix or small chunks going cold. sometimes they just ash down. the small stuff is like gasoline... for the fire!

'no wood, no fire!'

Fished up a big red oak scrounge, I got to put about 5 tanks through the 400. Man do I love running this saw. Now to start splitting up the noodled quarters, now that’s work for colder weather. Should be good firewood for 2024.
That's a nice amount of wood there keep you busy for quite awhile.

sorry to hi-jack the thread... finally got off my tail yesterday. moved the pecan for smoking and cleaned up some scrounged oak. made a new wood pile, too. always in clean-up mode! just some scrounge i drug in. i watched about 2 cords get hauled away day before. wood pickup month. ez stuff on curb. but, i had plenty and it was not cut and stacked... yet. ez to get behind on agendas... next step is a saw clean up and file kisses to its chain! fired right up. ran great. even handled the small stuff with ease! ;) :rolleyes:

View attachment 1019627View attachment 1019628View attachment 1019629View attachment 1019630

for me, since i don't have to heat thru cold months with wood, its about the fire! no wood, no fire. there is still several ez scrounges of oak to be had. one kiddie corner to me. a good wb or two, close. trim it, cut it and walk it home. no splitting req'd... my kinda firewood! :) :heart: the smoke!! filled my immediate area of neighborhood couple times yesterday... London fog like.... guy asked me other day, so u do a lot of cooking? yes, i said :rolleyes:
Does it ever get cold enough there that you have a fire in the house for heat?

FYI. The Roosevelt Elk on Afognak are recorded to be the largest Elk in the world!👍 They are twice the size of Rocky Mountain Elk! Cows can reach over 1000lbs and Bulls have been weighed in at over 1300lbs. by ADF&G! 👍 They can often be literally as big as a Moose!
Never knew this

That is why my Uncle (who taught my brother and I how to hunt, my Dad did not hunt) used to always tell us that TVs did not belong in a hunting cabin! Uncle Hank was a great storyteller, and we miss him a great deal. He used to be in hunting camp every year, and hunted with his Model 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag with open sights.

We fondly remember all the tales he used to tell, most all of which began "It was a cold and windy day ..."

He was a rugged Mtn man, and he and my Aunt backpacked hunting in the Adirondacks with nothing more than a tarp and a 2 person sleeping bag. She also carried a Model 95, but hers was "fancy", a Griffin and Howe in 30-06 with a pistol grip stock and beavertail fore end. That was a real nice gun!

This is a pic of a drive-in campsite in the Adirondacks in the early 70s. My Uncle had his VW Thing, and my 67 Mustang is a 390 GTA with brushed aluminum interior and tilt away steering wheel, etc. I've never seen another one like it, I should have kept it.
Great photos!

I get dizzy just looking at that stack.
How about these :p.
Couple cord each my buddy said. 20220924_184502.jpg
Same buddy on the tractor with his homemade splitter, I was driving his Kioti tractor back to the barn.
20220924_181746.jpg

He said he can move half a face cord in the bucket of the Kioti with the rack. He has an echo batter saw and an efco saw too.
Helped split and load/unload 2.5 cord that was already bucked, it went to another friend of ours. It was all from tops left over from his timber sale this spring, he's 81yrs old, real go getter and an all around great guy. It was a nice day.
20220924_140138.jpg

20220924_113457.jpg

The day started out cloudy and quite cool, but it improved as the day went on. This afternoon my buddy came over and we went to the woods, to skid/cut firewood. Once there, we worked on a couple nice firewood trees that I had cut down some time ago, and I've been working my way on through them a load at a time.

Resized-20220924-144108-S.jpg

As you can see, a couple of the stems were pretty big,

Resized-20220924-152558-S.jpg

and once we had enough for a load skid out, we started cutting them up,

Resized-20220924-162042-S.jpg

There's a huge amount of firewood in those big stems, you can see how I used my pallet forks to keep the log from rolling toward my buddy,

Resized-20220924-160431-S.jpg

With everything cut to length, it made a decent load,

Resized-20220924-164855-S.jpg

So, I hooked the wagon to my tractor, and we headed home,

Resized-20220924-164943-S.jpg

We will split it another day!

SR

Back