Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. My sears is like a 44 or something. If you think there's any chance of a match on the coil, I'd be glad to look for you. I'm not familiar with them.
I'm not real familiar with either saw myself. Just old, cool, amd cheap lol.

So they guy I got those 2 old saws off of hit me up if I got either to run yet. Told him no, just got them cleaned up and tested for spark. Nadda on either saw.
Figured the points were needing attention. The homelite had a mouse nest in the fan shroud at one point, they took a liking to the high tension lead. I'll need to replace that. And the points in the sears looked OK, so I cleaned them up and no joy. Just can't get it to spark. Guess I should be looking for replacements for both saws. Don't really need them to run but it would be nice.
Other then ebay anyone know of a good parts source?
Never bought from this guy but he has lots of homie parts Sean.
https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Split and stacked the last of the scrounged stringybark, thought I'd try making one of those cinder block firewood stands (not my photo) sadly I didn't have enough to fill it.
View attachment 1020612
As I was splitting I was feeding a fire with all of the left over junk, rolling it around my corn patch to kill all the grass and weeds so I can get it ready to plant this year. It worked really well, the whole area in the photo is now charred and crispy.
View attachment 1020613
I need to scrounge more wood. I'll go for a drive tomorrow with my head out of the car window and see if I can sniff something out.
That is a very interesting wood rack. A bunch of galvanized pallets sitting on the blocks for a base would make that a lifetime air breathing wood rack.

Dropped a 22” walnut for a friend today. We ( 3 of us ) got it all cut up and split then stacked for him. He is new to heating with firewood, actually still installing his stove. Put tank 6 through the 400 and it still makes me smile. Although I almost blowed through my hinge on the far side, I will blame it on the saw running really good but most likely my own fault as I’m not used to it yet. Anyway, no damage done everyone is safe and my buddy now has almost a cord of great hardwood for later on down the road.

Dropped a 22” walnut for a friend today. We ( 3 of us ) got it all cut up and split then stacked for him. He is new to heating with firewood, actually still installing his stove. Put tank 6 through the 400 and it still makes me smile. Although I almost blowed through my hinge on the far side, I will blame it on the saw running really good but most likely my own fault as I’m not used to it yet. Anyway, no damage done everyone is safe and my buddy now has almost a cord of great hardwood for later on down the road.
You're just starting to get to the point where the 400 finally breaks in and gets really impressive.

Had a bit to do this morning, including dropping off the mower in the next town to get some attention. Thought I'd have a look at a different designated scrounging area on the way home so I took the trailer as well as a couple of helpers. After a bit we came across this small narrow leaf peppermint.

1st Oct 7.jpg

The top end was rotten and there was a small pipe up the middle but it was mostly good. About 14in at the base I guess. It was sitting on a bed of blackberry that suspended it off the ground so no danger of cutting dirt but a few scratches here and there. The rounds were too big for Cowgirl and Cowlad to readily carry up so I lumped them into the trailer and they arranged them. Cowlad was his usual enthusiastic self.

1st Oct 1.jpg

We moved on and came across this dead felled log.

1st Oct 2.jpg

Looked too good to be true and it was. Firstly, it was a swamp gum which I generally don't bother with but I cut a couple of rounds to find it mostly rotten and light as a feather. Moving on...

1st Oct 8.jpg

This was a bigger narrow leaf peppermint that fell and took out two smaller white gums and a couple of tiddlers. I cut up the highest horizontal stem - 4-5 inches diameter - but there was a lot of tension in the other logs which fell between other trees and were also suspended so I thought I'd leave that one.

TBC...

So we continued on, starting to climb out of the valley. Saw this one on the downhill side. Someone (Parks Victoria I imagine) had dropped this nice solid peppermint down the slope. About 16 inches at the base.

1st Oct 3.jpg

The only problem was getting the wood back up.

1st Oct 4.jpg

Well that wasn't the only problem, I disturbed a bull ant nest and also a jumping jack nest. Both are aggressive and give a nasty bite. I looked down at one point to see two bull ants with their heads buried in the kevlar of my chainsaw pants but fortunately they didn't land any hits. Definitely don't want to stand still for long.

Anyway, eventually I got all the wood up onto the road (Cowgirl was able to take up some of the smaller pieces) and Cowgirl loaded. Cowlad decided he wasn't feeling well and sat in the ute. He's feeling ok now of course.

1st Oct 5.jpg

1st Oct 6.jpg

Cheers fellers :cheers:

Decent haul cowboy.

I've started burning. Stove lit every evening this week. Oak that grew in the neighbour's garden, felled 2 years ago next month. If my cheapo moisture meter is to be believed 11-15%mc. Sometimes I find Oak just sulks and doesn't like to burn, but not this stuff, hot hot hot!

My youngest son who is really into guns was asking me about all the guns I’ve owned over the years and I told them of all the ones that I’ve had and sold. He doesn’t understand why I would sell a gun. I said one thing that will cause me to sell a gun immediately is a centerfire rifle that doesn’t shoot accurately. I don’t have the time to screw around with trying to fix all of the small issues to make it to the right so I’d rather just take a small loss on a trade in and move on.

I’ve also had a few shotguns that shot blatantly low and moved those along too.
I've had guns like that 99 percent of the time I have to mess around with ammo. I have a slug gun that hates Hornandy SSTs with a passion slings them all over the place tumbling you name it. I put cheapy federal sabots in it and it's like a tack driver. And I went through quite a few kinds to figure it out. I know not everyone wants to do that but usually that's what it is.
I had the same issue with a Mosin nagant I bought. Thought I'd pull a brittish with it like my dad did back in the day. Had the barrel cut to 24" re crowned, then had it set in a synthetic stock, pillar blocked and beded, scope rail mounted and a timney drop in trigger. I topped it with a Simmons 4-12x50 scope. (Yeah I know junk scope) took it to the range and managed 2" groups free hand. Good enough for deer. Took it hunting that year and missed a doe. Not once or twice but 3 times. She never even spooked once. The third time I missed I literally threw the gun out of the stand I was so mad. It sat in the cabinet ever till my younger brother showed some interest in it. Told him he could have it. He did a bunch of work to it and it still shoots like crap. Tossed a few different scopes on it, tried a different scope mount ect. Some guns are just lemons.
Mosins in what I've experienced are ok plinkers but in high caliber it's like my SKS they were designed to be super cheap and send rounds downrange. I know people in Alaska use them all the time for hunting but I dont know what the success rate is for shots fired. I seen a guy here at the range that had an SKS trying to sight it in for deer season. And however I dont know everyone's predicament and what money they have maybe that's all he had to feed his family. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, however if you were buying a gun to feed your family and to make an ethical kill on an animal and at the time I seen this SKSs were let's say 400 bucks. I do believe that there were better guns including cheap combos skope and rifle that could have been bought at the time that would do both of those jobs better. IMHO there are fun guns, and there are hunting guns. If someone is in a financial predicament and you need to feed your family you buy a hunting gun not a fun gun. I own a SKS they are fun to blow up pumpkins and watermelons with....but it's a lead slinger and not to be confused with a accurate rifle.
No she has naturally curly reddish blond hair . Very thick tooView attachment 1020885
Very beautiful, my wife has lost her red hair, was also strawberry blond from her health issues. But I always loved her red hair and always fought against the bigoted comments she would get from people. Love it and hope you guys have a wonderful day.

So we continued on, starting to climb out of the valley. Saw this one on the downhill side. Someone (Parks Victoria I imagine) had dropped this nice solid peppermint down the slope. About 16 inches at the base.

View attachment 1021017

The only problem was getting the wood back up.

View attachment 1021018

Well that wasn't the only problem, I disturbed a bull ant nest and also a jumping jack nest. Both are aggressive and give a nasty bite. I looked down at one point to see two bull ants with their heads buried in the kevlar of my chainsaw pants but fortunately they didn't land any hits. Definitely don't want to stand still for long.

Anyway, eventually I got all the wood up onto the road (Cowgirl was able to take up some of the smaller pieces) and Cowgirl loaded. Cowlad decided he wasn't feeling well and sat in the ute. He's feeling ok now of course.

View attachment 1021019

View attachment 1021020

Cheers fellers :cheers:

Those Woodchuck Timber Jacks are super handy tools. Not just for cutting either.

This was last year and finally persuading a log that was frozen to the ground to move.
IMG_0818.jpg

Back