Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a SKS they are fun to blow up pumpkins and watermelons with....but it's a lead slinger and not to be confused with a accurate rifle.
I agree with the first part, and while the second part may be true for certain models, it's not true for all of them, especially in my BIL's hands :oops: . He leaves the 700BDL and the AK at home most times and grabs one of the SKS's. Couple yrs ago he got to the public land parking, got out and removed the SKS from it's case, loaded it up and when he turned around he saw a deer on the run at 75yrds, dropped it and went to put the gun back in his truck and there was another at 50yrds, shot it, then put the gun away :laugh:.
He has some funny stories to tell, and since I've been there for many, I don't doubt them for a min. One day we were in his back yard sighting in something, and we started to walk to the target, about 40yrds away he says. "look, a hummingbird", and points at it. That hummingbird flew straight at his finger and hovered about a ft from it, funny stuff. He's also found a ton of arrowheads, I've never found one, but I've found a good number of broadheads :nofunny:.
Oh, cut some firewood ;).
Speaking of shooting, this one was a bit of a tight shot ;). But the jred 2166 combined with the Japanese falling tool, didn't have a problem with it.
If you look close you can see the ratchet strap pulling the maple to the side, she said it didn't matter if I took it out, but it was a nice maple so I tried to save it.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.55.00 AM.png
Nice notch, but leaky :baba:.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.53.44 AM.png

Little help to get it down.

Just missed the little maple :clap:.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.52.53 AM.png
All diced up and ready for my buddy to come get it.
There was also a couple nice ash trees I bucked up, which will be ready this yr if he gets them popped open right away.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.52.21 AM.png

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I've had guns like that 99 percent of the time I have to mess around with ammo. I have a slug gun that hates Hornandy SSTs with a passion slings them all over the place tumbling you name it. I put cheapy federal sabots in it and it's like a tack driver. And I went through quite a few kinds to figure it out. I know not everyone wants to do that but usually that's what it is.

Mosins in what I've experienced are ok plinkers but in high caliber it's like my SKS they were designed to be super cheap and send rounds downrange. I know people in Alaska use them all the time for hunting but I dont know what the success rate is for shots fired. I seen a guy here at the range that had an SKS trying to sight it in for deer season. And however I dont know everyone's predicament and what money they have maybe that's all he had to feed his family. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, however if you were buying a gun to feed your family and to make an ethical kill on an animal and at the time I seen this SKSs were let's say 400 bucks. I do believe that there were better guns including cheap combos skope and rifle that could have been bought at the time that would do both of those jobs better. IMHO there are fun guns, and there are hunting guns. If someone is in a financial predicament and you need to feed your family you buy a hunting gun not a fun gun. I own a SKS they are fun to blow up pumpkins and watermelons with....but it's a lead slinger and not to be confused with a accurate rifle.

Very beautiful, my wife has lost her red hair, was also strawberry blond from her health issues. But I always loved her red hair and always fought against the bigoted comments she would get from people. Love it and hope you guys have a wonderful day.
The mosin was a trial thing. I did expect better from it. It was a very cheap gun.
As far as an sks goes, the one I have was right before they eclipsed the $200.00 mark. Unissued, and Romanian made. It's quite a nice rifle. Pretty good shooter till the barrel gets hot, then it starts climbing. Which really is pretty typical of a rifle with a hot barrel. I'd take it hunting if we were allowed. Guess I could use it for coyote, but I have a sweet 223 wyld set up for that.
Edit. Guess I should add that mosin was never a primary hunting rifle. Nor did I intend it too.

The mosin was a trial thing. I did expect better from it. It was a very cheap gun.
As far as an sks goes, the one I have was right before they eclipsed the $200.00 mark. Unissued, and Romanian made. It's quite a nice rifle. Pretty good shooter till the barrel gets hot, then it starts climbing. Which really is pretty typical of a rifle with a hot barrel. I'd take it hunting if we were allowed. Guess I could use it for coyote, but I have a sweet 223 wyld set up for that.
I guess I got in early on the SKS... $130 and it came with 100 rounds of ammo, oil bottle, manual and some other stuff. A 1,000 round case cost about $90-100 at the time depending on the type... My buddy and I each got one and they shot quite well... We put rubber butt extensions on them as they were too short for us without them.

Did a couple of hours of wood splitting for a friend yesterday, gave my splitter a tough time!

In addition to White Birch and Red Maple (both easy) he had a lot of Honey Locust, and one of the Ys stopped my splitter (first time any wood has).

Then he had a bunch of Elm. My splitter would split it, but it was so slow I told him I would come back after it was dryer! It was just a waste of time playing with that stringy stuff!

I agree with the first part, and while the second part may be true for certain models, it's not true for all of them, especially in my BIL's hands :oops: . He leaves the 700BDL and the AK at home most times and grabs one of the SKS's. Couple yrs ago he got to the public land parking, got out and removed the SKS from it's case, loaded it up and when he turned around he saw a deer on the run at 75yrds, dropped it and went to put the gun back in his truck and there was another at 50yrds, shot it, then put the gun away :laugh:.
He has some funny stories to tell, and since I've been there for many, I don't doubt them for a min. One day we were in his back yard sighting in something, and we started to walk to the target, about 40yrds away he says. "look, a hummingbird", and points at it. That hummingbird flew straight at his finger and hovered about a ft from it, funny stuff. He's also found a ton of arrowheads, I've never found one, but I've found a good number of broadheads :nofunny:.
Oh, cut some firewood ;).
Speaking of shooting, this one was a bit of a tight shot ;). But the jred 2166 combined with the Japanese falling tool, didn't have a problem with it.
If you look close you can see the ratchet strap pulling the maple to the side, she said it didn't matter if I took it out, but it was a nice maple so I tried to save it.
View attachment 1021062
Nice notch, but leaky :baba:.
View attachment 1021063

Little help to get it down.

Just missed the little maple :clap:.
View attachment 1021069
All diced up and ready for my buddy to come get it.
There was also a couple nice ash trees I bucked up, which will be ready this yr if he gets them popped open right away.
View attachment 1021070

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I'm really liking how your handling those dangerous trees being far away like that and using the tractor winch is the best way to go.

Edit. Guess I should add that mosin was never a primary hunting rifle. Nor did I intend it too.

I guess I got in early on the SKS... $130 and it came with 100 rounds of ammo, oil bottle, manual and some other stuff. A 1,000 round case cost about $90-100 at the time depending on the type... My buddy and I each got one and they shot quite well... We put rubber butt extensions on them as they were too short for us without them.
It for sure depends on where they were made for sure since there were so many countries that made them by and large the Russian made ones were of the best quality the others are varying from there the one I have is a yugo with a grenade launcher and is a complete joke and was also the same style I seen the guy using. Sean I get exactly what you mean it's nice to play around with stuff and go from there. I moved into using black powder awhile ago for the challenge I'd one day like to do recurve bow hunting for the added challenge.

Yup that's about the time I got mine in the 90's. I changed the stock so it fits me better. Still have lots of ammo for it. Shoots well and now I have a night scope and laser sight for coyotes if they get close to the chicken coops. I had a possum on the coop the other night . I took it out with my rugger 10/22, it was closer and the SKS would have been overkill

Yup that's about the time I got mine in the 90's. I changed the stock so it fits me better. Still have lots of ammo for it. Shoots well and now I have a night scope and laser sight for coyotes if they get close to the chicken coops. I had a possum on the coop the other night . I took it out with my rugger 10/22, it was closer and the SKS would have been overkill
I got mine in the mid-late '80s. The AP ammo didn't punch holes through a V-8 engine but they did punch holes through a Volvo... people used to dump things in the quarry where we shot in those days. 😉

I was splitting yesterday and had a nasty piece that I should have cut up and left for an overnighter. But I tried splitting it and my push plate mount weld broke. I have a Lincoln 225 ac welder and I plan to try to fix it. I normally use 6013 1/8 rod but the mount is so thick I don't think it would penetrate well enough so I am thinking 6011 5/32 . The plan is to add 3/16 2" flat stock to reinforce it as well. My welding knowledge isn't the best so any advice on this repair would be great
bracket.jpg

I was splitting yesterday and had a nasty piece that I should have cut up and left for an overnighter. But I tried splitting it and my push plate mount weld broke. I have a Lincoln 225 ac welder and I plan to try to fix it. I normally use 6013 1/8 rod but the mount is so thick I don't think it would penetrate well enough so I am thinking 6011 5/32 . The plan is to add 3/16 2" flat stock to reinforce it as well. My welding knowledge isn't the best so any advice on this repair would be great
View attachment 1021123
6013 isn't a bad rod, I use them at home. Whether 6013 or 6011, the 60 is for 60,000lbs tensile strength. A 1/8 7018 would be a better choice for 10,000lbs additional tensile strength. Grind the area to be welded down to clean metal and really clean between passes. Just run stringer beads, no big weaves.

Some fair hot saw action today

Attachments

• 82E2E4D9-2211-4F3A-8323-45461FA8512A.jpeg
    82E2E4D9-2211-4F3A-8323-45461FA8512A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DFC969CE-5CB9-46FD-9B0D-7311DA846EAF.jpeg
    DFC969CE-5CB9-46FD-9B0D-7311DA846EAF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 52F9EE0B-9952-4DDD-9A18-F946897D87D7.jpeg
    52F9EE0B-9952-4DDD-9A18-F946897D87D7.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 64C92185-BE65-4597-B577-235FBC7B9177.jpeg
    64C92185-BE65-4597-B577-235FBC7B9177.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Cleaned the chimney this year, it's been 2 years. Thank goodness I did because I got almost a third of a cup out of it! Probably would have blown that chimney clean off the house! Lol 🤣
View attachment 1021127
View attachment 1021128
View attachment 1021129
View attachment 1021130
Did mine the other day. Was pleased with what I found. Very thin layer of dry dusty stuff barely hanging on. Brushed off with one quick pass. Hardly worth climbing up there but at least I know I'm good!!IMG_20220927_183040635.jpg

Found some nice dead red fir while riding the scrounge locating tool couple weeks ago. Takes about an hr to get there and was a little worried they wouldn’t still be there, with all the people moving here there has been a significant increase in people cutting wood, but thankfully they were still there4C693011-B3F3-4349-B12A-E2C6E332DBF4.jpegNice cool day, couldn’t ask for better 2FB81F11-E33E-49D4-96AF-F452F5D8CF3E.jpegDD2C1E43-E634-429F-B689-42F0E17A506E.jpegSome nice fall colors, great day to be out!E40FC039-15F7-4C7F-BEA1-0979DE2DA3B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 6ADD34CD-A64A-48CD-859E-6F7793D8A0C3.jpeg
    6ADD34CD-A64A-48CD-859E-6F7793D8A0C3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 1021123
Stick with the 1/8" rods. Vee groove out both sides as best you can and run multi passes. Wouldn't be a bad idea to preheat the steel as well. Clean, clean, clean, clean in between passes. 7018 would be the best bet as mentioned before.

View attachment 1021123
It's hard for me to see but it looks like that weld was too hot to begin with. Where it broke it almost looks to me like its severe undercut at the back there the weld looks sunken. Either it was too many amps or to slow a travel speed. As others have said have to get all the rust off grind out the break real good and make sure where your putting your ground its ground up and clean so you get a good ground. It will tell you on the box of rod what range of amps that rod runs at, on most machines. If you want to use 7018 make sure you get 7018 AC rod since you have an AC machine. You can spray antispatter down if your concerned about the BBs. Also make sure when you weld it it's not on some big hunk of steel like the splitter or anything that can act like a big heat sync. You dont want it cooling off too rapidly and cracking your welds. I'm assuming when you say your adding flat stock you mean your adding gussets on the outside edge that will add allot of strength buy itself.

Back