Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for you guys. Is this too much hook?
View attachment 1035568It is not binding, the saw pulls it even with the rakers close to .040”, the problem is that it dulls quickly and then I hear my saw hitting a rev limiter while not self feeding into the wood as I am used to.
For clarification I am using the MS400 for felling, bucking hardwood sometimes dead dry hardwood. Maybe semi chisel is the answer but I like full chisel RS chain.
Looks pretty close to how I sharpen my chains. Dirty wood is dirty wood. Doesn't matter is you have rm or not. Slow is slow, then it's time to hit them with the file.

I used to cut with my uncle. He loved those piles because you could get a whole load in one place, I didn’t like them because they were dangerous to climb on and would ruin chains.
Yup, the whole dang thing is all tangled and bound up......got the saw stuck pretty well cutting one of the stumps off.....
There's prolly 10 cords worth of nice oak ash and hickory in there but, it's a horrible slimy hillside with no level place to get off the highway...had to load what we got right in the road.

May go back sometime when the mud's frozen and try to get a couple more loads.

I’ll use a wire brush on stuff like this if I have one. I have one kinda like this, but not as big. This size might be better.

View attachment 1035615
Yep, that works pretty well.
On that log, I had already sawed some barbed wire with the chain.... so I just went for broke!
I did bore through from the cleaner side, then under bucked so I wasn't dragging rocks n mud through the cut.

What model tractor is it, and how much would it be new?
I don't know what new price is, but a friend of mine just bought a used MX5200 with about the same amount of hours in excellent condition and he paid almost twice that. He said there wasn't even a MX5100 on his different models spec sheet.

Latest posts

Back