Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raining and light showers today so i figured I would grease up the rack and pinion on my Super Split and change out the needle bearing under the front of the ram. A guy stops by to pick up a small motor that I had for sale. He asks if there are any extra deer around here. There were two standing out in the back field when he pulled in. He said I should have been out hunting. Yup, he was right, I should have been.

I was supposed to be cutting firewood today since the temp was above 0 but it seemed like way too nice of a day for that, so I had to drag out my K38 target masterpiece.

Now since I didn’t get any wood cut while it was nice and daylight out for a whole 4 hours, I’ll be out running chainsaw in the dark with a headlamp if anyone needs me.
View attachment 1037387
At what range did you fire that grouping at?

Todays scrounge. A ten round load. 24" diameter on average with an average weight of probably 100lbs. At least that wood be a good guess.
I can weight them and post pictures for you @chipper1 if you'd like?🤣😉
IMG_20221203_162051445_HDR.jpgIMG_20221203_161916289_HDR.jpg

I broke traction and got stuck with a small four round load yesterday evening right before my wheeler ran out if gas.👎 I pulled the same spot onto the road this evening with no problem, twice the weight, and only the addition of rear tire chains! 👍

IMG_20221203_125412262.jpg
IMG_20221203_125359303.jpg
IMG_20221203_131120665.jpg
View attachment VID_20221203_161151787~2.mp4

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Todays scrounge. A ten round load. 24" diameter on average with an average weight of probably 100lbs. At least that wood be a good guess.
View attachment 1037443View attachment 1037445

I broke traction and got stuck with a small four round load yesterday evening right before my wheeler ran out if gas.👎 I pulled the same spot onto the road this evening with no problem, twice the weight, and only the addition of rear tire chains! 👍

View attachment 1037448
View attachment 1037447
View attachment 1037449
View attachment 1037446

Invest in some good lug tires. I’ve got ITP midlites on my wheeler and it goes wherever I point it.

My current wheeler has independent suspension as well. I thought it was kind of pointless but that wheeler will go in places in 2wd that my Honda solid axle would only dream of going.

Invest in some good lug tires. I’ve got ITP midlites on my wheeler and it goes wherever I point it.

My current wheeler has independent suspension as well. I thought it was kind of pointless but that wheeler will go in places in 2wd that my Honda solid axle would only dream of going.
Actually, Ive got some good brand new lug tires. I just want to completely ware these out. Before I switch. I Gotta get the most out of what I have before I replace it. Especially in Rural AK! Chains are the only way to go IMOP on ice and packed snow. Especially when I have weight and can really get the power to the ground.

Yeah, those independent rears on quads are really nice👍, but my little honda works great for me. I don't 4x4 rally it. Its just a work tool out in the woods. Its way lighter and smaller than the big Yamaha 700 Grizzlies and Poor-"ol"-aris 800 v-twin Sportsmans and as long as I don't break traction. I can tow just as big a load. Just not as fast. The Honda Rancher TRX 420 engine and transmission are practically bullet proof. I mean I work the p**s out of mine! I can easily lift it around if it has to spun around in a tight spot and things like that. If really want to rally fast or go in the gnarly hard to get to spots? I ride my Dirt Bike! Ain't a quad around that can handle the terrain a good off-road dirt bike can. I even have winter tires fir rally'n the frozen gnarly! Ha ha ha ha! 😉IMG_20221113_090146200.jpg

STIHL pretty darn good! IMOP. 👍 Did you fire that group single or double action?
He's probably not telling us that he had the wife throwing them when he was shooting at them :numberone:.
View attachment 1037443View attachment 1037445

View attachment 1037448
View attachment 1037447
View attachment 1037449
View attachment 1037446

The honda is a beast. Does that one have the power steering.
I don't doubt the 100 lbs each, our hardwoods you'd never stack like that, unless you had equipment, had something to prove, or have a death wish :laugh:.

He's probably not telling us that he had the wife throwing them when he was shooting at them :numberone:.

The honda is a beast. Does that one have the power steering.
I don't doubt the 100 lbs each, our hardwoods you'd never stack like that, unless you had equipment, had something to prove, or have a death wish :laugh:.
No power steering. Its the basic bare bones model. Not even a speedometer.

Oh I get it! If those rounds were something like oak or maple they would probably be twice as heavy if not more. Especially if the rounds were fresh unseasoned green! Then the War Wagon would just might?! ☝️ Would just might?! Be maybe "maxed out overloaded". Maybe! 🤔 but probably not! 🤣🤣 🤣😉

You ain't loaded unless you're overloaded!😉

Actually, Ive got some good brand new lug tires. I just want to completely ware these out. Before I switch. I Gotta get the most out of what I have before I replace it. Especially in Rural AK! Chains are the only way to go IMOP on ice and packed snow. Especially when I have weight and can really get the power to the ground.

Yeah, those independent rears on quads are really nice👍, but my little honda works great for me. I don't 4x4 rally it. Its just a work tool out in the woods. Its way lighter and smaller than the big Yamaha 700 Grizzlies and Poor-"ol"-aris 800 v-twin Sportsmans and as long as I don't break traction. I can tow just as big a load. Just not as fast. The Honda Rancher TRX 420 engine and transmission are practically bullet proof. I mean I work the p**s out of mine! I can easily lift it around if it has to spun around in a tight spot and things like that. If really want to rally fast or go in the gnarly hard to get to spots? I ride my Dirt Bike! Ain't a quad around that can handle the terrain a good off-road dirt bike can. I even have winter tires fir rally'n the frozen gnarly! Ha ha ha ha! 😉View attachment 1037453
I do a lot of Fat biking in the winter have 275 carbide studs in my tires they work get when the trails ice 🧊 up 👍 . Great workouts

Attachments

• 84990CCD-6781-48E1-8594-581CEEC06854.jpeg
    84990CCD-6781-48E1-8594-581CEEC06854.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3A436938-83AA-4C82-93CE-14F2A9D6D29B.jpeg
    3A436938-83AA-4C82-93CE-14F2A9D6D29B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B9E84D84-0A1E-49D2-8D3E-773DBBD0C5DA.jpeg
    B9E84D84-0A1E-49D2-8D3E-773DBBD0C5DA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back