Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of 400s and scrounging, I briefly used the 400 today on some hung-up, storm damaged oaks at a buddy's ranch. I say briefly, as I threw a chain early on. Banged up the drivers bad enough that I couldn't even burn it in...instead of throwing on another chain, I just ran "Lord Vader" the 566i hybrid. Speaking of which, version 2 of my machined 660 piston hasn't let go yet, so I may be on to something.🤷‍♂️

The 400 is an awesome saw, it can literally replace 2-3 different saws in a lot of line-ups. I've ported mine, have a high output 461R oiler on it, added the wrap handle, and it just screams with a 28" bar. I'd even occasionally run a 32" if I didn't already have a plethora of larger saws. It had no-problem running a 91dl semi-skip chisel in this oak. Now if the operator was good enough to not throw chains, we'd be a deadly combination. :laugh:

This is just a fraction of the total wood I cut, I can always go back for more.

IMG_20230127_132945648_HDR.jpg.34ef770a5be85ee6ca888225c2c2f868.jpg

No they are still in my basement don’t rain much at all there :laugh: I still have two white oaks to mill . My friends mill is down and he’s having a hell of a time getting parts . I did cut one down to 7 ft and used the Alaskan mill but I need to modify my exhaust on the 396xp it blasts me to the point I got nauseous and stopped . Not a good scenario. View attachment 1052241View attachment 1052242View attachment 1052245View attachment 1052246View attachment 1052256
Whats one of those logs being craned on the trailer weigh approx?

From the reports I have been seeing on the 400 it looks like it would almost replace my MS441cm. Probably not thought, That saw hauls a 32" bar in black locust pretty good.
Upgrade the oiler and it's totally a 441 replacement IMO. You don't even have to swap the whole oiler, it's literally the 2 pieces inside the oiler housing(the control bolt and I'm spacing on the other part name.) The pieces for a 461R swap right in without any mods and substantially increase the oil output. I remember watching a dyno comparison video between a bone stock 400 and 440, they were close, but the 400 had more power at all points of the graph.

That's nice!👍 I may be building one myself if I cant find what I need at a reasonable price!
Thanks. Word of caution though...it's really easy to actually spend more, or at least as much, building one, than you would just buying one outright. I got most of the components for free, but even then, I've got about $500-600 into this thing. If I count what I think my time is worth, it would've made more financial sense to just work a side job or a couple days of overtime and buy a pre-built unit.

I guess I did it more for the process of building it than for the finished product, if that makes sense? What's that old saying? Something about how the journey is often better than the final destination? The real quote is phrased much more eloquently than my pea-brain can think of.

Since this is a catch all for information I will ask which 4 wheeler? I had a honda big red for 30+ years but it finally wore out. It pulled a small 3x4ft trailer around my 5 acres for yard work. I need a wheeler to pull this same trailer around the property. Looking to spend $1500-3000. I am currently using a 2001 honda odyssesy around the yard and it is too big for this task.
I like the 98-04 Honda 450 Foremans, great work quad. The 350 rancher is a good quad too, but I haven't seen any hitches for them. I like them with a 2wd/4wd selector so you don't tear up the yard.

It directly replaces the 362 not the 441. At 67 vs 71cc there isn't much difference between the 400 and 441 in power. But the 400 is 2lbs lighter and a much more modern ergonomic design with good filtration and av. The 441 is non of those things, the 461/2 basically killed the 440/1 series being lighter and better in every way a true 70cc saw could be.
I've never ran a 400, but I thought the 441's I've had in the past were better than many of the stihl offerings for ergonomics, and that the 441 did fine on filtration.
The best feature of a 441 is how smooth they are, that makes a huge difference to me, hard to like a rubber mount saw anymore. Although some are fun for a few cuts ;). But I guess if the 400 is that much lighter, it should at least handle a bit better than a 441.
I was thinking of you the other day, guy who was interested in my little kubota said he worked at a shop that makes the pneumatic brakes for coasters or at least some of the parts for them? He runs a shop in Jackson Michigan.

I've never ran a 400, but I thought the 441's I've had in the past were better than many of the stihl offerings for ergonomics, and that the 441 did fine on filtration.
The best feature of a 441 is how smooth they are, that makes a huge difference to me, hard to like a rubber mount saw anymore. Although some are fun for a few cuts ;). But I guess if the 400 is that much lighter, it should at least handle a bit better than a 441.
I was thinking of you the other day, guy who was interested in my little kubota said he worked at a shop that makes the pneumatic brakes for coasters or at least some of the parts for them? He runs a shop in Jackson Michigan.
Brakes for coasters? Guess that's so beer doesn't get knocked over and wasted. :cheers:

Thanks. Word of caution though...it's really easy to actually spend more, or at least as much, building one, than you would just buying one outright. I got most of the components for free, but even then, I've got about $500-600 into this thing. If I count what I think my time is worth, it would've made more financial sense to just work a side job or a couple days of overtime and buy a pre-built unit.

I guess I did it more for the process of building it than for the finished product, if that makes sense? What's that old saying? Something about how the journey is often better than the final destination? The real quote is phrased much more eloquently than my pea-brain can think of.
Yeah roger!
16743920254636644555204576623127.gif

Working over this poulan 4200 countervibe getting ready to see if it will run.

Always cracks me up to see chain that’s half way work down that the rakers have never been hit on.

I’ve never seen double rakers like this before.

View attachment 1052384
I've never seen them like that either.
I'd break out a Dremel for them things.
Did you get to look over the 365 special, those are nice saws, and can easily be modded or upgraded into a 372/"375", and then modded:chainsaw:.

I've never seen them like that either.
I'd break out a Dremel for them things.
Did you get to look over the 365 special, those are nice saws, and can easily be modded or upgraded into a 372/"375", and then modded:chainsaw:.
Only enough to know it fires. I’m gonna take both of these saws out to the wood pile in a bit and see if they run/cut. Working on cleaning some of the ancient bar oil and saw dust out of the poulan right now. It’s in surprisingly good shape, seems to be very low hours. Can still read all the tags in it.

6E3D9B5F-A86E-4838-B741-AD7ACC1033F3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back