Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more scrounge today. My nephew is in a big farm family and they cleaned out a long fence row. Lots of hackberry and cherry. A bit of a challenge as they stacked it high with an excavator but we were able to sneak 3 rics out after work and before dark. 2 for me 1 for an old cuttin buddy. IMG_20230206_214532304.jpg

I'll say this! Ive Never! Never in my life seen a bear charge in a zig zag pattern! NEVER! It was always Straight in or a big sweeping turn. Usually to the left.
Plenty of bear charging videos on you tube. If anyone comes across a video of one charging in a zig zag? Id love to see it!

🤣🤣🤣 Zig zag???🤣🤣👎
i never seen no bear zig zag neither! even in 'Buck' Nelson's Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness all the bears he came across ran in straight line.. but i am not line, when i say straight up.... if

i see a bear, i sure and 💩 would be running a zig zag pattern! :lol: and i ain't not line...
:givebeer:

>Looks tasty. :sweet: You forgot to mention what kind of wood you're using though.
:innocent:
:laugh:

post oak or hickory preferred down here...

This is a photo of a young sow with cubs.THREE BIG CUBS!
View attachment 1055735
The circle represents where her and her babies were laying when I broke up and over the bench meeting her face to face! I threw down on them instantly but gracefully then started slowly backing off while at the same time saying in a calm normal voice. "Im leaving now Mamma! Im leaving now Mamma!" She was a very good mother and stayed as calm and collective as I did. If not more. She started pushing her cubs up twords the base of the mountain while continuously looking back and forth at me and her cubs. She would stop in short intervals and stare me down during the whole encounter until she and her young stood for a moment long enough for the photo. As if they were saying. "Okay take a quick pic. You've earned it!" We both kept our cool! That is why it turned out as best as it possibly could! 👍 Very very seldom do you see a sow this young in the Southeast Kodiak section. With three cubs this size. A Boar would have normally got at least one of them by this point. These cubs are two and a half years old and at the stage of learning how to hunt and helping Mom hunt in the process! Any decision she made on me. Her kids are most likely going to back her play at this age. Not always, but a good chance of it! I jumped a young sow "BY SUPPRISE" while nursing her kids. All at twenty yards away gentleman! TWENTY YSRDS!!! Do you know how may people have been mauled in this type of situation simply by just losing their cool with fast sudden movements along with yells or screams??? Four bear and four rounds in my 06! Bottom line. They could have easily had my a** no matter what I was packing! Im just glad it went smooth and I got a chance to snap a couple pictures "after" we all opened up the gap between us!🤣👍😉

Green line represents edge of bench. Red circle was the position of the sow nursing her cubs behind the willow brush. White line is where I hiked up and broke up on top of the bench.View attachment 1055773

This is just one of many many non violent close encounters Ive had with bear. Im talking hundreds! I'm just glad the number of violent encounters is much smaller!
However, don't pay any attention to me! All my experience is based on second hand and third hand knowledge and all my stories are lies😉

Keep in mind! I hunt solo 95% of the time on the Island. I most often have no partner or guide to back me up! That's why after 20+ years of hunting with a 30-06 in country home to the largest Brow Bear in the world. When hunting these days? I now, "BRING ENOUGH GUN!!!" :rock:
great stories! thx for sharing... i am one who definitely would not want to bother a momma and her kids... 20 yrds up! :surprised3:

Mike, I can't disagree with your post, and apparently your reading and compression skills are better than KK's, as I never said bears zig zag, I said they "appear" to zig zag, it's because they have a "little" sideways gate, but in fact they do make an small arc most of the time. The way they hold their body it looks different.

They aren't all that hard to hit the CNS, and any decent caliber with a decent bullet will do the job.

Who ever said they were waiting for my bear picts., they will be waiting a long time, because first of all, my best bear hunting was before digital, and worse yet, I had my house burn to the ground and I lost most everything including most of my hunting picts..

SR
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

this one was taken pre digital... in the 30's in fact...
1675751687057.png

Had to drop a 20" Ash today. That little 550xp sure does have fun cutting these up. Tomorrow's Ash will be half that size. My neighbor out back at the farm messaged me when this one hit the frozen ground. The farm is called Echo Farm. It is 300 - 350 yards out behind my house. She wanted to know if I was alright because she heard a big crash. The Ash that I am dropping are dead and the tops explode on impact.
👍

Grilled Venison tenderloin and beef ribeye, sauteed onions, wood stove roasted spuds and steamed fresh carrots. 😉 Hard to beat!
Dinner was delicious tonite! it had a bit of a Kodiac influence. the venison n spuds was on the menu... but the fried onions and carrots were of an AK influence. and... all in all, all that went well!! 😋
P1010026.JPG
P1010021.JPGP1010023.JPGP1010024.JPGP1010025.JPGP1010020.JPGP1010019.JPG
The meal was a treat. ;) Hard to beat! ~ 🤩

P1010015.JPG

1675752987428.pngP1010004.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010008.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010013.JPG

nobody needs to ask why i don't work in the tire shop over at Discount Tire....:confused:
the pix with x'd big screwdrivers was the moment i had just got the tire over the wheel rim! it was a :happybanana:moment! taxing and challenging, all at the same time. finally!! came with a sigh of relief! ~

then some serious field day took place. air compressor, scrapers, diggers, brush, etc and a shop vac. plenty time-placed crud! the seat came off and got scrubbed! and one side came off, for access... and soon the R side will be off for carb ck out! i have been stumped good on one item of disassembly since day one. some more research tonite and i do believe i finally figured it out. optimistic, and soon i will know. 🤞

then it was HH and time to pack up the wheel center and put away my tools. :cool:

View attachment 1055920

View attachment 1055922View attachment 1055923View attachment 1055924View attachment 1055926View attachment 1055927View attachment 1055928

nobody needs to ask why i don't work in the tire shop over at Discount Tire....:confused:
the pix with x'd big screw drivers was the moment i had just got the tire over the wheel rim! it was a :happybanana:moment! taxing and challenging, all at the same time. finally!! came with a sigh of relief! ~

then some serious field day took place. air compressor, scrapers, diggers, brush, etc and a shop vac. plenty time-placed crud! the seat came off and got scrubbed! and one side came off, for access... and soon the R side will be off for carb ck out! i have been stumped good on one item of disassembly since day one. some more research tonite and i do believe i finally figured it out. optimistic, and soon i will know. 🤞

then it was HH and time to pack up the wheel center and put away my tools. :cool:
If you drop a 427 in that bad chicken? You'll be mow'n up and around and around and down! Till ya run outta room at the edge of town!

Back