Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of my nephew. They had 4 or 5 cars backed up on their road over a downed tree. Brandon cut a section out and two perty boys tried to move it out of the way. Both together couldn't budge it. Brandon says in his king Kong voice " I'll get it " and by himself without even trying real hard picked one end up and threw it off the road like it was a landscape board. I try real hard to stay on his good side!
Was everyone yelling "lets go Brandon :lol:.
I managed to drop my 78 Malibu on my chest being an idiot one night, a buddy of mine who's thin as a rail lifted it up enough that I could get my arms from above my head to beside me where I could at least breathe, I was quite grateful. I still feel that one on a normal basic, but I doubt I'll make the same mistake again. As my signature say, I may be slow, but I'm not stupid :laugh:.

I try to slow my "little guy" down, he'll lift way more than I think he should, work smarter, not harder. He's now well over 6', probably 6'1", he's almost 15 now, I'm only 5'7/8" lol.

Kind of amazing how much a group of fellas who knows how to work can get done in a days time.
That looked like loads of fun!!!
And we did it in half a day. Had my niece’s birthday that afternoon

Thanks God MustangMike brought his army of saws. When a chain got dull, ya just grabbed another of his saws

His 60cc ported saw was a perfect balance of weight vs power for me. I didn’t want to put it down

Today's fun started with a 12" Ash, 28"Ash, 30 " Ash and a 14" Maple. All of these trees were within striking distance of my house. Not anymore as they lie in wait to be bucked up and split

Attachments

• 20230207_092548.jpg
    20230207_092548.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230207_104958.mp4
    23.4 MB
  • 20230207_105230.jpg
    20230207_105230.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230207_113935.jpg
    20230207_113935.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230207_134803.mp4
    31.9 MB
  • 20230207_145808.jpg
    20230207_145808.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230207_162403.jpg
    20230207_162403.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Was everyone yelling "lets go Brandon :lol:.
I managed to drop my 78 Malibu on my chest being an idiot one night, a buddy of mine who's thin as a rail lifted it up enough that I could get my arms from above my head to beside me where I could at least breath, I was quite grateful. I still feel that one on a normal basic, but I doubt I'll make the same mistake again. As my signature say, I may be slow, but I'm not stupid :laugh:.

I try to slow my "little guy" down, he'll lift way more than I think he should, work smarter, not harder. He's now well over 6', probably 6'1", he's almost 15 now, I'm only 5'7/8" lol.
That's a good one!! Lol. My little fella absolutely lives to just be " one of the guys" anything manly , he's in. His biological father was 6' 9" so he could be a horse of a young man. That joker doesn't know what he's missing. Ezra is such a joy.

The resets on M-tronics are either idling in the cold start position for 90 seconds, or no-load WFO for 30 seconds. For obvious reasons, I choose the idle option... although it's almost never needed. Really the only time I do the 90 seconds reset is after modding a saw or if conditions have significantly changed since the last time I ran that saw.

I use the cold start position on my M-tronics a lot. They'll almost always start in that position, unless they are quite hot. Just today at work, I ran my 462r out of fuel...and had to use the cold start to get it running after fueling. Not because it's cold, but because the M-tronic seems to richen up to a saw that is running out of fuel. Once you refuel, they can be a bear to start on the "run" position. The best method is just to not let it run out though.
I only do that with the 661 for major altitude changes…like sea level to 8000’ :p

You forgot to mention a Mustang filled with Uncle Mike's saws that everyone used!

Most saws seemed to get used till the chain was dull then they picked up the next one. As I recall you favored my MOFO ported 360 and my 044, Derek liked my MS460 D-jug saw, and Bill could not believe how my ported Asian 660 (with square file chain) went through his large, seasoned Black Locust log. Don't remember specifically which ones Chris and your Dad liked, but everyone was using some of them (in addition to their own saws).

Matt, I was too busy cutting that day to pay attention to how much got split. Ask Bill.
Ok, pics of that many saws in your mustang or it never happened 🤣🤣

SR and KK, perhaps I'm the 3rd spoke in this discussion, but I think there are a few things we can all agree on, and I appreciate all the information from everyone. As I have stated before, what you choose to use is your own personal decision, but additional knowledge is always good.

1) I always prefaced using the largest caliber you can shoot well (which will vary by shooter). A larger caliber is no replacement for accuracy, but if someone shoots a large caliber well than there is no downside to using it.

2) Your example with the 458 reveals what my ballistic testing identified ... I would not shoot whitetail deer with some of the bullets they load at the factory. I have also read of African hunters being very disappointed with the penetration of 458 factory bullets, so your comment did not surprise me. A bear usually has a layer of fat that will often block a blood trail if the bullet does not exit.

I believe in using premium bullets, and both the Barnes X bullets that I like, and the Nosler Partitions that SR likes are premium bullets that will outperform most of the factory loadings. Both of these bullets will open on a lung shot, but also stay together if they strike heavy bone. A Black Bear does not have the bones of a Grizzly, but they are about 10X tougher than a Whitetail, so (IMO) having proper bullets is important. I know someone who shot a Black Bear (in the Adirondacks) and the bullet blew up on the front leg bone. Luckily another hunter he was with finished it off with a 338 Win Mag.

So, no matter where you hunt, or what you are hunting for, it is always good to be prepared! If I ever inadvertently get between a bear and her cubs, I would much rather be carrying a 338-06 than a 243.

I know people can fell a 5' diameter Oak with a 50 cc saw, but I would much rather have a 90 cc saw in that situation (see, we are on topic).
Hear, hear

I'll say this! Ive Never! Never in my life seen a bear charge in a zig zag pattern! NEVER! It was always Straight in or a big sweeping turn. Usually to the left.
Plenty of bear charging videos on you tube. If anyone comes across a video of one charging in a zig zag? Id love to see it!

🤣🤣🤣 Zig zag???🤣🤣👎
I’ve only been charged by a black bear but yes, it came in a straight line. Basically just like a giant bowling ball crashing through the woods straight at us.

Chuckling at the mental image of a bear zigzagging as it attacks you.

Its a real pain when you mix old/new stihl and husqy. Half of the old husqy I've converted to the momentary switch, then grab the redmax and forget to flick the switch to run... they should all return to start...
Add some dolmars into the mix, they are backwards to the huskys, it will really throw you for a loop.
I really enjoy the more modern saws, but still pull out the earlier ones for firewood duty when time isn't as critical.

Today's fun started with a 12" Ash, 28"Ash, 30 " Ash and a 14" Maple. All of these trees were within striking distance of my house. Not anymore as they lie in wait to be bucked up and split
Good you got those buggers down, they were certainly on their way out whether you liked it of not. Better to choose where they go while you still have the option.
That's a fun mess to clean up after the ash explosions.

Is that 5'7"/5'8" or is it 5'7/8" (as in five foot and seven eighths of an inch)??? Every 1/8" counts! LOL

My question exactly....
I see we got a couple comedians in the crowd, maybe you two should stick to your day jobs :p.
I bet you're the guys who brag about being xx and a half old 🤣.
Your the two guys at the bar that gang up on the small guy aren't you 😂.
Get outta here :buttkick:.

Back