Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some more things/tweaks on my splitter today. I added some expanded steel to the pad on the ram, for some added grip. Also built a removable table, it's got pins so it can go either side, depending on what side I'm working on.

View attachment 1069249
👍

end of the road. caught up. good enuff for my needs.
not all road markers are digital
P1010040.JPG

hope everyone has a nice weekend. my scrounged up kitchen timer is cleaned, dedusted, internals oiled... and working like NIB brand new! i like some old better than new... should be perfect for 4 min brussels! :rock:
P1010002.JPG
guessing easily over 50 yrs old, prob longer...

Used to fish for Stripers down on the Merrimac river in Massamachoosetts, years back the local rich folk in the multimillion dollar homes said, "Don't shoot the deer, it is cruel."
Then came Lyme disease.
Now them rich libtards scream, "Shoot the deer!"
Tyrone Biggums could not have said it better.

Good morning fellas! Hope everyone has some excellent scrounging today.

I'll be boiling sap for the last weekend. I have just over 100 gallons now and will probably get 40 more the today and tomorrow. I will pull the taps tomorrow evening. Season will probably go longer but I'm done. I have firewood to make.

30 min of stealth firewooding after work. Saw works well except for the overheat sensor shutting the saw off after 10 or so cuts in 12-14" wood. Resets almost immediately, but then trips after 10 sec. I understand there is a way to disable the sensor. The saw is not getting hot at all. Today's haul (not overloaded). I'm new at the ATV thing. Oh, and I don't smell like 2 stroke exhaust!View attachment 1068947View attachment 1068948View attachment 1068949
smelling like two stroke exhaust is half the fun. it shutting off after a few cuts would drive me nuts. glad you like it. have fun

smelling like two stroke exhaust is half the fun. it shutting off after a few cuts would drive me nuts. glad you like it. have fun
Its nice to come home from work, cut a quick trailer load, then go back out for whatever reason and not have the parfume le mix. I agree, the shutting off is no bueno, a deal killer. I am going to run the battery till dead, fully charge, and see if its solved. If not, it goes back. May try another one as other folks don't have the problem. But overall I like the concept of the cordless saw. Now, if it would just stop raining for a while...

I gave up on trying to keep up. I went on a quest last week. Several years ago I bought a Savage 99K made in 1929, which was the fanciest model made at the time. Factory engraving, special checkering, hand picked high grade Walnut. Yes, HVBW. It has the initials JM carved in the stock. They look like a cattle brand. Over the years I have spent whole rainy days researching old cattle brands from the West, nothing. Last weekend I went to the Baltimore Antique Arms show. The Cody Museum of the West had a booth there, and they have the Savage records. For $5 they will do a search as you wait. My search came back with the info:
Received at the warehouse Jan 8, 1929
Sold to the Baker, Hamilton, Pacific Co (a large hardware store)
Returned to the factory May 22, 1929 for additional work
Upon completion of work returned to Jo Mora Carmel California

My heart did a back flip. I had heard of Mora being an artist, but, that was about it. I started reading every thing I could find on him. WOW, incredible life, and accomplishments. In my reading I found that the author Peter Hiller had written a book on Mora, and is the curator of the Mora Trust and Museum. The Trust had an email that said Mr. Hiller would answer inquiries, so off went an email. Two days later my cell rings. Peter and I talked for a bit, and he sounded as excited about the rifle as I was. He asked if I would send a pic of the initials, they had examples of art work he signed with just his initials. They are a pretty close match. The picture of the initials on a Del Monte menu that Mora did have two hooks on the bottom that make them look like a cowboy hat, but that was on paper. If you remove the hooks the initials look dead on. I can see where carving on wood it would be easier to just leave the hooks off. Hiller said that the initials looked close enough, and with the Savage records, he was 100% sure the rifle belonged to Mora, or possibly his son, Joey. He confirmed that both Mora's were avid hunters their entire lives. Part of Mora's story is he lived with the Hopi Indians in Arizona for 3 years. Where he learned their language, studied their traditions, and acted as a hunting guide for them. He was kind enough to forward some pics off Mora and his work. One is a water color card to his son Joey for Christmas 1920, Hunting with his dog, with a Winchester on his shoulder, a life size statue of Belle Star, and the Del Montes menu with his initials, lower right side.

xsqSzKK.jpg

F79zNhx.jpg

Kt6MA0H.jpg

ENmIkuj.jpg

ihfjl8Q.jpg

z78C9m2.jpg

I gave up on trying to keep up. I went on a quest last week. Several years ago I bought a Savage 99K made in 1929, which was the fanciest model made at the time. Factory engraving, special checkering, hand picked high grade Walnut. Yes, HVBW. It has the initials JM carved in the stock. They look like a cattle brand. Over the years I have spent whole rainy days researching old cattle brands from the West, nothing. Last weekend I went to the Baltimore Antique Arms show. The Cody Museum of the West had a booth there, and they have the Savage records. For $5 they will do a search as you wait. My search came back with the info:

My heart did a back flip. I had heard of Mora being an artist, but, that was about it. I started reading every thing I could find on him. WOW, incredible life, and accomplishments. In my reading I found that the author Peter Hiller had written a book on Mora, and is the curator of the Mora Trust and Museum. The Trust had an email that said Mr. Hiller would answer inquiries, so off went an email. Two days later my cell rings. Peter and I talked for a bit, and he sounded as excited about the rifle as I was. He asked if I would send a pic of the initials, they had examples of art work he signed with just his initials. They are a pretty close match. The picture of the initials on a Del Monte menu that Mora did have two hooks on the bottom that make them look like a cowboy hat, but that was on paper. If you remove the hooks the initials look dead on. I can see where carving on wood it would be easier to just leave the hooks off. Hiller said that the initials looked close enough, and with the Savage records, he was 100% sure the rifle belonged to Mora, or possibly his son, Joey. He confirmed that both Mora's were avid hunters their entire lives. Part of Mora's story is he lived with the Hopi Indians in Arizona for 3 years. Where he learned their language, studied their traditions, and acted as a hunting guide for them. He was kind enough to forward some pics off Mora and his work. One is a water color card to his son Joey for Christmas 1920, Hunting with his dog, with a Winchester on his shoulder, a life size statue of Belle Star, and the Del Montes menu with his initials, lower right side.

xsqSzKK.jpg

F79zNhx.jpg

Kt6MA0H.jpg

ENmIkuj.jpg

ihfjl8Q.jpg

z78C9m2.jpg
Thanks for sharing that awesome story.

Good on you, things like that go a long way to building loyalty and boosting morale. I've got high expectations for the people that I supervise, but most get along with me well, as I treat them with respect and I hold myself to the same high standards. If they work hard and meet my expectations, they know that I'll bend over backwards to help them out with career advancement or even just problems they may be having. One of the things that I'm constantly doing, is to teach my subordinates how to do my job...unfortunately, some of my peers like to just horde knowledge rather than sharing it. Luckily they're the exception, not the rule.
It sure is true that little things go a long way. I do " frosty Fridays" for my crew and have pizza delivered once in a while. Once on a Friday I gave a real stern look and said" I want to talk to you all about your lunch break tonight." Of course they were expecting to get chewed on for going a few minutes over here and there. You should have seen the look on their face when I said " Due to all of you stepping up this week and making it happen, I expect each of you to take an hour and a half lunch today. Anyone who refuses to comply will be dealt with immediately!" The laughter and looks on their faces was great and they still talk about that Friday to this day. Some would call that a waste of manpower but I call it an investment in good people and the state of moral!

xsqSzKK.jpg

F79zNhx.jpg

Kt6MA0H.jpg

ENmIkuj.jpg

ihfjl8Q.jpg

z78C9m2.jpg
That's awesome.
How much you want for it :innocent:.
Neat to know the history of it, and that it was not just in the hands of a collector, but rather an avid sportsman and an artist makes it cooler yet.
Having been in the sign industry for many yrs and having an eye for details, especially when it comes to signage and fonts, I'd say it's the same person who did those "M" too. While some may not see the uniqueness, the way they are formed is not "normal", you can see its his flavor as M in Del Monte is different, most likely because that was the restaurants font/signage styling.

Got the biggest red oak I plan on taking down out back in the pond area down last evening. The wife and two kids helped stack all the brush and loaded all the rounds and moved them to the to be split pile, which has grown a lot and the area will be overflowing before I finish the large cherrys I need to take down next.
I got a nice log out off the butt section after taking two 16" rounds off the butt because it had splits in it. The L3800 kubota could barely move the log, it was around 27" at the large end and 8'6" long, most the drive to the front by the barn the back tire was off the ground and the corner of the log was dragging. Maybe I need a skidsteer :rock2:.
If the weather allows/ I want to brave it, I'm hoping to finish it up today, for the most part it's just bucking and hauling rounds off, and maybe another log or two.
We had a nice fire, it's still smoking/steaming as the wind blows out there(wind is supposed to be in the mid 20mph range all day today here), that's after it raining most the night and snowing now.
Only picture my wife took with my phone last night. The flames were probably 25' tall once it all took:blob2::happy:. You can see the red oak in the background on the left, only proff I've currently got other than the brush pile 😆.
20230324_195235.jpg

Of for the global warming crowd, or climate change guys, which ever works for your masters today, you must be right
They say science is settled say the "experts" and here's the proof.
3 yrs ago on the 23rd of March.
View attachment 1069384
March 23 this year.
View attachment 1069389
I refute that:laugh:, March 25th ( today) 2023 should be in the 50 s . Sleet freezing rain and 31
Macro climates aren’t a good indicator of warming or cooling .
9DEDAC97-78DB-42FB-B4D9-EA754DB415CE.jpeg
Edit for correct date

I refute that:laugh:, March 23rd 2023 should be in the 50 s . Sleet freezing rain and 31
Macro climates aren’t a good indicator of warming or cooling .
View attachment 1069395
I agree 100%, and neither should made up science based on things that happened that we cannot 100% verify, that isn't science at all.
But people keep trusting the "experts", this is where Greta(a kid) should be chiming in, wait, didn't she just delete a tweet :laughing: .
I thought it was funny that the climate activists finally figured out that the people telling them they had to watch their carbon footprint were actually hypocrites, and started "trying" to protest at the WEF meetings in Davos 🤣. Wait till they figure out they've been played and are just pawns ;).
Sorry my second post took so long, it was supposed to be right after the one you responded to, but I couldn't get the dang picture to load :badpc:.

Maybe now we can discuss masks, and their ability to stop viruses.
You guys know what comes after that :happy: .
I'll be back later :popcorn2:.

Madison Wis. got 10" of snow this morning; a record for this date. I'm 75 miles northwest and didn't get a flake.
Are you upset you didn't get it :innocent:.
We were pretty light on snow here this yr, at least snow that stuck around; it seems every weekend we get snow, it's been like that since I started this job, I'll have to see what I can do about that 😅.
Cool looking back yard in the picture when you click on your name :picture:.
Have a great weekend.

Back