Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only patches of snow left here, there were snow flurries off/on the last 2 days. It's quite cold for march, it's been in the 20's at night, warming up to the low 40s. It can be colder though...I was looking through my workout app I use, saw I did a run from the house, in late march, a couple years ago where it reached a high of 29F in afternoon.

Only patches of snow left here, there were snow flurries off/on the last 2 days. It's quite cold for march, it's been in the 20's at night, warming up to the low 40s. It can be colder though...I was looking through my workout app I use, saw I did a run from the house, in late march, a couple years ago where it reached a high of 29F in afternoon.
Looks like all ours could melt by 2 today, then they are calling for more later lol.
It's daily climate change. Welcome to living around the great lakes. If you don't like the weather just wait a few, but you better be ready to do what you need to right then or it will change again, which is why I was hustling last night.
We have a small window we're in now, I'm gonna put an edge on the 372xpg chain and get out there and finish the red oak up.

Good rain coming down here today, rolled the cars out of the garage to let it wash the salt off them.

The new SC gasket was installed in the Mustang and it is 100% again! :)
Do you drive the Mustang in winter? My Camaros are parked from October 1 to May 1.

hope this isn't too ribald... but, to be honest... it is about the sex life of a young girl

A girl Potato and boy Potato had eyes for each other, and finally they got married and had a little sweet potato which they called 'Yam,' Of course, they wanted the best for Yam, and when it was time they told her about the facts of life.
They warned her about going out and getting half-baked, so she wouldn't get accidentally mashed, and get a bad name for herself like 'Hot Potato,' and end up with a bunch of tater tots.
Yam said not to worry, no spud would get her into the sack and make a rotten potato out of her, but on the other hand she wouldn't stay home and become a couch potato either. She would get plenty of exercise so as not to be skinny like her shoestring cousins.
When she went off to Europe, Mr. And Mrs. Potato told Yam to watch out for the hard-boiled guys from Ireland and the greasy guys from France called the French fries. Yam said she would stay on the straight and narrow and wouldn't associate with those high class Yukon Golds, or the ones from the other side of the tracks who advertise their trade on all the trucks that say, 'Frito Lay.'
Mr. And Mrs. Potato sent Yam to Idaho P.U. (that's Potato University) so that when she graduated she'd really be in the chips. But in spite of all they did for her, one-day Yam came home and announced she was going to marry Tom Brokaw.
Tom Brokaw!
Mr. And Mrs. Potato were very upset. They told Yam she couldn't possibly marry Tom Brokaw because he's just.....
Are you ready for this?
Are you sure?
OK!
Here it is!
" A COMMONTATER "

Dang global warming!View attachment 1069414lol, (about 6-7 miles from our house, and 2500’ higher elevation).
Last year I was riding the motorcycle at this timeView attachment 1069415Going to be few more weeks yet this year. Been a great winter for snowmobiling this year thoughView attachment 1069416
looks like fun! :heart: snowy, mtn pix above the treeline! ~

that first one reminds me of some times driving thru Snoqualmie Pass up in PNW - WA

elevation SP 3,000' and some change
1679764181153.png

Good rain coming down here today, rolled the cars out of the garage to let it wash the salt off them.

The new SC gasket was installed in the Mustang and it is 100% again! :)
Saw this on the Carlisle events FB page. For the Ford nationals event.
FB_IMG_1679679159144.jpg

Oh, for the global warming crowd, or climate change guys, which ever works for your masters today, you must be right
They say science is settled say the "experts" and here's the proof.
3 yrs ago on the 23rd of March.
View attachment 1069384
March 23 this year.
View attachment 1069389
Interesting WEATHER report.Got anything on Climate Change? That is calculated from a 30 year average.

One day/month/year average is meaningless until it is averaged into the past 30 year records.

Do you drive the Mustang in winter? My Camaros are parked from October 1 to May 1.
My Mustang is on the road all year. I usually put Blizzak tires on it in the winter but did not this year (we only had snow twice).

I drove it last night on a nice windy road, and this afternoon. With the Steeda suspension, it handles like it is on rails.

Has Nitto 555 G-2s on 9.5 X 18 Steeda wheels. 275 X 40 X 18 up front and 295 X 45 X 18 out back.

A few weeks ago, I played with a turbo Porche on Rte 84. When we got jammed by traffic, the guy in the passenger seat rolls down his window and yells "what the He$$ have you got in that thing". It can be very entertaining to surprise people ... I always liked sleepers!

This is Mustang #10, came with 300 Hp but now has 550.

My previous favorites were my 1970 Boss 302 body that I put a 427 Ford engine in, and my 68 390 GT that was built with an aggressive cam.

Interesting WEATHER report.Got anything on Climate Change? That is calculated from a 30 year average.

One day/month/year average is meaningless until it is averaged into the past 30 year records.
Maybe you misunderstood my post.
When your experts get it right, let me know; until then, I don't trust their predictions.
Most the same experts have already made predictions that were way off, and yet they still want people to trust them, sorry that's not how I work. Also those same experts are getting wealthy and their actions totally go against what they want you and I to do, I just can't trust people like that.

Happy birthday.
Congrats on the new saw, don't forget where the rare earth metals come from to make the battery, or what the plastic it's made of is made out of ;).

Scrounged some dead hardwoods out of the forest...I burned way more than I anticipated this year and was just about out of seasoned wood. I found a little bit of oak that was hung up off the ground, but the real score was some dead Manzanita. For the east coast guys, it's an incredibly dense shrub/small tree that burns hot and for a long time. It has some of the highest BTU per cord, comparable to something like orange Osage. It's so dense, that it doesn't even let the snow-melt permeate into it.

IMG_20230325_143542821.jpg

Scrounged some dead hardwoods out of the forest...I burned way more than I anticipated this year and was just about out of seasoned wood. I found a little bit of oak that was hung up off the ground, but the real score was some dead Manzanita. For the east coast guys, it's an incredibly dense shrub/small tree that burns hot and for a long time. It has some of the highest BTU per cord, comparable to something like orange Osage. It's so dense, that it doesn't even let the snow-melt permeate into it.

View attachment 1069516
Sounds like some awesome wood, that manzanita, I've never even heard of it.
I've been burning all the deadwood from clearing out back for the last few weeks.
Right now I'm burning some of the red oak, it's 75 in here and the woodburner temp is over 675, so it ain't cooling off unless I open the front door or a window for a while.
What's nice is that all this wood was brought straight in from outside, so no stacking, and that's less wood I need to put in the woodshed :happy:.
20230325_203227.jpg

Sounds like some awesome wood, that manzanita, I've never even heard of it.
I've been burning all the deadwood from clearing out back for the last few weeks.
Right now I'm burning some of the red oak, it's 75 in here and the woodburner temp is over 675, so it ain't cooling off unless I open the front door or a window for a while.
What's nice is that all this wood was brought straight in from outside, so no stacking, and that's less wood I need to put in the woodshed :happy:.
View attachment 1069517

Often times, the big wildfires you see in Cali, largely consist of hillsides full of manzanita. Most people don't even think of it as firewood, but it's among the best IMO. It gets kind of a bad rap, some people think it's dangerous to burn. It's actually quite safe as long as you don't load the whole woodstove with it...it's one of those species that just a couple of small splits or rounds goes a lonnnnnng way. You load the whole firebox up with it and you're liable to start your house on fire.

I too like the scrounges that don't require stacking. I like cutting trees down, I like cutting them up, and I don't even mind splitting the wood...however, I really don't enjoy stacking firewood into neat little rows...just too tedious for me and then I'll just have to wheelbarrow it over to the house at a later date. This stuff, I backed my truck up to my front porch, brought the splitter over with my other truck, and split it right there in front of the porch. Loosely/haphazardly stacked on my firewood rack that's on the porch...done deal.

Got a couple more sticks out of the red oak today, also diced up the rest of the stem and moved everything onto the to be split pile.
20230325_151818.jpg
Could hardly lift this log either, its a good bit smaller than the butt log. I also took a couple rounds off between the butt log and this one as it had a large branch/crotch there.20230325_152832.jpg
20230325_181848.jpg
Once that was done I did a bit of dirt work, it's starting to look a bit more like the beginnings of a pond.
Before moving dirt today.
20230325_151824.jpg
After.
20230325_181901.jpg

Often times, the big wildfires you see in Cali, largely consist of hillsides full of manzanita. Most people don't even think of it as firewood, but it's among the best IMO. It gets kind of a bad rap, some people think it's dangerous to burn. It's actually quite safe as long as you don't load the whole woodstove with it...it's one of those species that just a couple of small splits or rounds goes a lonnnnnng way. You load the whole firebox up with it and you're liable to start your house on fire.

I too like the scrounges that don't require stacking. I like cutting trees down, I like cutting them up, and I don't even mind splitting the wood...however, I really don't enjoy stacking firewood into neat little rows...just too tedious for me and then I'll just have to wheelbarrow it over to the house at a later date. This stuff, I backed my truck up to my front porch, brought the splitter over with my other truck, and split it right there in front of the porch. Loosely/haphazardly stacked on my firewood rack that's on the porch...done deal.
Wow, I bet that holds good coals for a long time and could restart another fire if not taken care of/if the wind kicked up.
The fire out back was going all night through rain and snow, this morning the wind started blowing and and it kicked right back up, seems that would happen there too.
When my neighbor moved in he used to be quite concerned with my 10-20' tall fires, he lived in Southern Cali for a bit, he talked to me a few times about it. Glad he trusted me and didn't ever call the fire department.
I do like my fires :blob2: .
When I first got my woodstove I chocked it full of box elder, which is considered a trash wood and in the Maple family(most don't know this), while it isn't the best, once it's dry it burns very hot and mybstove was blazing :crazy2:. It probably wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was the hottest I had ever seen it. I never made that mistake again :oops:.
It sure is nice to be able to save a step when possible. I don't mind a bit of work, but I also see no reason to do more just because lol.
As far as stacking, it's nice that I have concrete on the floor of the woodshed where I stack mine and can bring it right to the woodshed with the tractor after loading it right off the wood splitter. That makes it nicer and saves a couple steps, it's nice that my time splitting and my time stacking gets broke up a bit, takes some of the monotony of it out.
You can see in my picture I didn't even split these rounds(saving a step lol), I just figured I'd bring a few splits in to mix with the bigger ones if needed.
Should get some more out of the cherry, I'll have to leave that piled up somewhere as I also have the wheelbarrow inside full of the deadwood. That will be great to get us thru the shoulder season.

View attachment 1069516
Manzanita is an incredible bbq wood. It makes coals that last for hours.

Got a couple more sticks out of the red oak today, also diced up the rest of the stem and moved everything onto the to be split pile.
View attachment 1069523
Could hardly lift this log either, its a good bit smaller than the butt log. I also took a couple rounds off between the butt log and this one as it had a large branch/crotch there.View attachment 1069526
View attachment 1069527
Once that was done I did a bit of dirt work, it's starting to look a bit more like the beginnings of a pond.
Before moving dirt today.
View attachment 1069528
After.
View attachment 1069529
"When will you make and end?!"
😛

Back