Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

Input appreciated. I'm thinking a bit more about a longer bar for Limby, and for the 460. I have not used the 460 very much in recent years, mostly because of the 20in bar on it. Since the 16in bar on the MMWS 241 gets through most of the limb material I cut, with some overbucking the 460 became redundant because the 25in bar on the 661 was soon needed.

But some of the big trees I cut require cutting from both sides and sometimes with an intermediate cut to get through. They can be up to 60in in diameter. When I'm trying to get through big trunks that are suspended, I typically horizontally noodle a cut a few inches from the bottom to support it then do a cut from either side and noodle a vertical one to split off the half rounds to either side (I got caught by a big round that rolled towards me once and I'm not going there again). A longer bar doing the horizontal and vertical cuts would allow me four half rounds in the one cut.

I'm thinking maybe a 36in bar for Limby and put the new 25in bar from Limby onto the 460. Will get more useful production out of the 460 this way but then have a bunch of 20in chains that will collect dust. Long bars and chains aren't so cheap over here though. Thoughts?

Hmm. I may have answered my own question 🤔:chainsaw:

G'day fellers,

Input appreciated. I'm thinking a bit more about a longer bar for Limby, and for the 460. I have not used the 460 very much in recent years, mostly because of the 20in bar on it. Since the 16in bar on the MMWS 241 gets through most of the limb material I cut, with some overbucking the 460 became redundant because the 25in bar on the 661 was soon needed.

But some of the big trees I cut require cutting from both sides and sometimes with an intermediate cut to get through. They can be up to 60in in diameter. When I'm trying to get through big trunks that are suspended, I typically horizontally noodle a cut a few inches from the bottom to support it then do a cut from either side and noodle a vertical one to split off the half rounds to either side (I got caught by a big round that rolled towards me once and I'm not going there again). A longer bar doing the horizontal and vertical cuts would allow me four half rounds in the one cut.

I'm thinking maybe a 36in bar for Limby and put the new 25in bar from Limby onto the 460. Will get more useful production out of the 460 this way but then have a bunch of 20in chains that will collect dust. Long bars and chains aren't so cheap over here though. Thoughts?

Hmm. I may have answered my own question 🤔:chainsaw:
Moving the 25" to the 460 and getting a longer bar for Limby sounds like a good plan. You still have the 20" bar for use on occasion. That said you can also make longer chains from those 20's. :yes:

Latest posts

Back