Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was so sick of that dam loader being on my rotary cutting tractor, I took it off!

Resized-20220719-171322-S.jpg

Then I took the tractor out on a job today,

Resized-20220721-162445-S.jpg

MUCH better! lol

SR

that big un mite push 30 #s maybe. i have seen pix of the good ol days salmon fishing out in CQ.... and they were pulling in 40# salmon! one or two fill the freezer up real fast...

well, u get the idea
View attachment 1004119
The bigger one the other day? If I had to guess. Id say 27 or 28 I don't put them on the scale unless I think they are 35 or bigger. The one in your picture is a Beautiful King! 40lb hog or bigger no doubt!👍

that big un mite push 30 #s maybe. i have seen pix of the good ol days salmon fishing out in CQ.... and they were pulling in 40# salmon! one or two fill the freezer up real fast...

well, u get the idea
View attachment 1004119
When I had my skiff built in 2013 I hooked about a 35 pounder on her maiden voyage! Unfortunately our landing net was only big enough for silvers. After about three or four attempts to net the big king. The fish just flopping out of the net every time. The leader finally parted and all we could do was watch it slowly swim back down as the color faded away! ☹️ My fishing partner was pretty bummed out and felt bad. Heck, we were both bummed out! I told him it wasn't his fault. We both did all we could to net the fish and the net was simply just to small. He went to the Marine supply store the next day and bought the biggest landing net they had. About three days later while fishing a King tournament. My boat had three Kings hit her deck! All of them huge soaker hogs!!! A 50lb, a 56lb, and a 65lb fish! Winning us the tournament by a land slide!👍 We crushed it! 171lbs between three King Salmon! No other boat even came close that tournament! 😂🏴‍☠️ I'll post a picture for ya as soon as I get a chance to skiff back home from camp for supply's on one of my days off. Unfortunately, the pics are at home on my other phone. 👍 Seems these days the big soaker kings are hitting Kingsman boat decks around here
fewer and fewer every year! ☹️

The spring flows out of a small cave in a rock wall close to the lowest spot on the property. It's a long ways and all uphill to the cabin.
Ah, so a pump would be needed unless the spring’s pressure is enough to compensate And that would be a stretch. the Romans figured this out :p future project?

Hernia surgery (right side this time, left was done about 30 years ago).

Broke down and took two extra strength Tylenol today, which reduced the discomfort a bit.

Have 3 black + blues, the one for the scope through the belly button is by far the worst.

I'm fine until I have to get up from the chair or out of the bed, and for some reason my left knee started acting up!

Luckily there is no pain lying down or sitting and walking and stairs are no problem. But putting sox on gets a little painful!

My brother cautioned me to go slow ... my father (who was very stubborn) had to have his re-done twice more after the initial operation - I don't want that!

On the other end of the scale, I get worried that I can't do the exercises for my back every morning. It is like a catch 22! And I hate being a couch potato!
Just give it time! Had the right side done a couple years ago.
even now I have to pay attention to my body doing any heavy lifting. I’m getting pretty good at listening to the , “O hell no!” Cry, lol

slick deal! that roof is killer! :numberone: :sweet:

"I am here for the pix!" lol... and the pro-level tips and perk how-to's, too! ~

some may like this delightful lil off-grid project...

~ form follow function ~

Wait till the first big rain…

Just give it time! Had the right side done a couple years ago.
even now I have to pay attention to my body doing any heavy lifting. I’m getting pretty good at listening to the , “O hell no!” Cry, lol
This recovery is going slower than I expected. It is improving, but very slowly ... I was expecting more from the laparoscopic procedure.

Still have a black and blue that looks like someone tattooed a large Violet on my naval and some swelling and pain when I sit up.

I've been cautioned to wait 3 weeks for internal stuff to heal. Don't want to have to go through it again ... that's for sure!

This is putting a damper on my summer, but I'm planning on being good for hunting season. I need to be 100% by then, as I like to hunt some rugged areas, and not all of them have cell phone service if something goes wrong.

This recovery is going slower than I expected. It is improving, but very slowly ... I was expecting more from the laparoscopic procedure.

Still have a black and blue that looks like someone tattooed a large Violet on my naval and some swelling and pain when I sit up.

I've been cautioned to wait 3 weeks for internal stuff to heal. Don't want to have to go through it again ... that's for sure!

This is putting a damper on my summer, but I'm planning on being good for hunting season. I need to be 100% by then, as I like to hunt some rugged areas, and not all of them have cell phone service if something goes wrong.
We are hoping for a full recovery and that it heals faster than expected. Hang in there.

Spent the last couple days cutt'n right of way.

I threw the timber in opposite directions right up the center of the right of way the keep a path open for hiking in and out as we get further up the cut.
IMG_20220722_100228174_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220722_100216028_HDR.jpg
Had some on a hill top needing thrown down to the end of a spur road ribboned off the be built. The ones I left are all leaning hard up the hill and will be fell later when we come in from the top👍 This unit is mostly small timber we just trip for the processors with very little bucking involved.IMG_20220722_100235188_HDR.jpg When it comes to rotten punky snaggs. Never trust your holding wood. As it plays a small roll in controlling the fall when in sever stages of decomposition. This snag wasn't even that bad and It broke off the stump during early commitment at 50% Stihl holding long before the face closed! 👍IMG_20220722_095411382_HDR.jpg Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Based on what I have learned about them there may be enough flow, but not enough drop. It takes 1 foot of drop to raise the water 10 feet with a properly sized ram pump.
There is a "clean water spring" just off the border of my upstate property also, but it is at the lowest point of my property and down a very steep hill, you have to be very careful climbing it with the ATV as your front will start to come up, so it just makes more sense to bring water from home.

That said, it is good to know that it is there in case of emergency. When they used to quarry the Bluestone, they would test it every year and it was always good. Also, I have never seen when it does not flow.

There is a "clean water spring" just off the border of my upstate property also, but it is at the lowest point of my property and down a very steep hill, you have to be very careful climbing it with the ATV as your front will start to come up, so it just makes more sense to bring water from home.

That said, it is good to know that it is there in case of emergency. When they used to quarry the Bluestone, they would test it every year and it was always good. Also, I have never seen when it does not flow.
Mine flows year around also at 45 degrees. Could use it for AC

High of 37C with the humidity today but the kids and wife are away most of the day so why not catch up on a bit of firewood. All cut on my wood lot. All red maple and white birch (I try to keep my sugar maple, yellow birch, beech for milling). Not doing much other than splitting the odd few + piling under the deck.

Attachments

• A04E3BC6-55B9-4B8C-9A5B-082B51360666.jpeg
    A04E3BC6-55B9-4B8C-9A5B-082B51360666.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • CE983D30-FB85-48B4-BB11-24042FB5174D.jpeg
    CE983D30-FB85-48B4-BB11-24042FB5174D.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B47BC662-26CE-4CF9-9C8B-5DC482A50BE9.jpeg
    B47BC662-26CE-4CF9-9C8B-5DC482A50BE9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Wind blew a tree down at my in-laws this week. I'm not even sure what it is but it's a 3 trunk mess growing out of a ditch edge. One trunk still standing, one over the ditch and pagewire fence and one leaning on a spruce. I'd like to say I used a Dutchman to bring it the rest of the way down but I had to do it myself. Ahahaha, see what I did there?. Anyway the leaners are on the ground and mostly cut up. To dang hot and humid for this kind of work. Put in almost 3 hours and I'm just worthless. I'll finish it tomorrow and next week hopefully when it cools down.

Latest posts

Back