Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was a day off, I briefly thought about attacking the wood pile, but decided that it was more prudent to finish a saw that's been in my shop for a couple of weeks. It was a stock 440, the top end actually had pretty low hours...despite what the massive carbon build up might suggest...I'm guessing it was either run rich or with Stihl brand oil.

Anyway, squish cut, cylinder decked, ported, muffler modded, timing advanced. I need a right angle cutter for the transfers...I'm able to get in the uppers, just not as clean as I'd like.

The owner should really be stoked, it's a strong running 440...it pulls really well in the cut, yet has some decent chain speed.
692475-4042ecdca061611879c31ca8e2ead74f.data
I wish my saw mechanics were that good. I know nothing about hop'n up saws, or timing them once hopped up! With the exception of bolt on aftermarket components. I have to pay to have mine modified! I just do simple routine maintenance. Some of you guys really now how to get old worn out saws and even newer tired saws fresh again! Good on all you guys! 👍

I wish my saw mechanics were that good. I know nothing about hop'n up saws, or timing them once hopped up! With the exception of bolt on aftermarket components. I have to pay to have mine modified! I just do simple routine maintenance. Some of you guys really now how to get old worn out saws and even newer tired saws fresh again! Good on all you guys! 👍
I'll trade some mechanic skills for some falling skills lol. I'm not exactly a master with a die grinder or anything, it's just a hobby I picked up a while back. It's what I do to relax, rather than watch TV or whatever the average American does nowadays.

It's kinda fun to play with ignition timing, port timing, squish, compression, etc and to see the results. I've actually ruined a few cylinders as I've learned. The important part is to learn from it and be able to understand how the mods affected the performance. I take lots of notes, I've finally got a general idea of what numbers I should shoot for when I do a saw.

I learned most of my knowledge on one of my 044s. I've had that particular saw apart probably a couple dozen times and with multiple different top ends. I think I'm at the point of this hobby, where I know there are things I don't know lol...I'm just moved that some people are impressed enough with my saws to have me tweak on their saws.

after @Cowboy254 said the other week, he can halve a 12" round and load it in his stove for a long burn I thought I'd test out how much more splitting for small stoves create. So here we have 2 x 12" oak rounds
View attachment 1008233
and here the splits I created.
View attachment 1008234
okay there are a spread of sizes and if i'd gone solely for max size and min number it would have been less, but still probbly 18 or 20. splitting and feeding small stoves is a lot of work

Not quite...I don't halve 12 inch rounds, I put in two side by side for overnighters when it is going to be cold. You're right however, there is much more work in feeding a small stove.

Well my 70th passed uneventfully yesterday, we will be having a family party later today.

Hope the new decade goes well! I've taken deer 6 years in a row now, which is a personal best for me. Hope it continues.

Since I've been on "restricted duty" for a few weeks I've tinkered with the firearms quite a bit. New scopes on two of them and some new handloads and tested new saboted slugs for the shotgun. It is extra work not just getting things ready for myself, but also for my daughter and 13 year old grandson. We hunt in both rifle and shotgun only areas.

Just started doing some mild exercises again ... need to proceed very slow and cautiously. This thing does not give any warning signs if you push too hard!

Well my 70th passed uneventfully yesterday, we will be having a family party later today.

Hope the new decade goes well! I've taken deer 6 years in a row now, which is a personal best for me. Hope it continues.

Since I've been on "restricted duty" for a few weeks I've tinkered with the firearms quite a bit. New scopes on two of them and some new handloads and tested new saboted slugs for the shotgun. It is extra work not just getting things ready for myself, but also for me daughter and 13 year old grandson. We hunt in both rifle and shotgun only areas.

Just started doing some mild exercises again ... need to proceed very slow and cautiously. This thing does not give any warning signs if you push too hard!
Happy birthday Mike 🎂.

Do you bore sight them.

Yep, have to know when to take it easy, I'm still learning.

Since I've been on "restricted duty" for a few weeks I've tinkered with the firearms quite a bit. New scopes on two of them and some new handloads and tested new saboted slugs for the shotgun. It is extra work not just getting things ready for myself, but also for me daughter and 13 year old grandson. We hunt in both rifle and shotgun only areas.

Happy Birthday MustangMike!

I don't have any bore sighting tools, but I do it my looking down the barrel, with the gun on sandbags, sight in on a yellow sticky on the wall, then adjust the scope accordingly. Always gets me on paper at 25 yds, then I sight in from there. (Note: I remove the shotgun barrel with the cantilever scope to do this).

The lever guns have open sights and don't need bore sighting.

I turn 65 today and am going on 28... Like I did for the first time in '86, I'm taking off on another multi-month bicycle trip starting tomorrow. I assume it will make me stronger... and not kill me. This also assumes I get everything done today so I can actually leave tomorrow!

I am just eating breakfast as I got so wrapped up with final prep that I forgot to eat. 🤣

This was one of the first views of the Tetons my 15 year old son and I had as we went over Togwotee Pass. When the Tetons first became visible my son stopped short in front of me and I almost creamed him. With a very concerned look on his face he said, "We're not riding over that, are we?"

Tetons.gif

I turn 65 today and am going on 28... Like I did for the first time in '86, I'm taking off on another multi-month bicycle trip starting tomorrow. I assume it will make me stronger... and not kill me. This also assumes I get everything done today so I can actually leave tomorrow!

I am just eating breakfast as I got so wrapped up with final prep that I forgot to eat. 🤣

This was one of the first views of the Tetons my 15 year old son and I had as we went over Togwotee Pass. When the Tetons first became visible my son stopped short in front of me and I almost creamed him. With a very concerned look on his face he said, "We're not riding over that, are we?"

View attachment 1008343
Happy Birthday to you too. Have a safe trip.

a fleet of wb's!! :) i am currently into pull carts. scrounged this beauty off curb couple days back. bit ruff, but now good as new! cleaned, oiled, serviced, derusted, modded and made some parts. a 4 tires hold air! 👍 still holding! will be caboose for my scrounge firewood safari train... saws, fuel, PPE, tools, water, etc... i liked it so much, i ordered another one. NIB! found an A-z scrounge deal online and scarged it right up! :happybanana:will be here today. special feature along with design mods and engineering updates: no flat tires! 😋

old, but now like new:
View attachment 1008169

NIB and incoming (today)
View attachment 1008170

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Carts-Poly-No-Flat-Tires/dp/B084NTR8V6
site has 3 slick short vids
That's pretty similar to the wife's firewood hauling setup. 7-13-2.jpg

View attachment 1008343
I wish you the best on your trek! I hope you have good times, and most of all, a safe trip.

Here’s my big tire rig , but has a motor 😆 lol
We've got similar setups. Actually, I think you and I have got the same plow. I regret buying the Polaris blade. I should have gotten the Boss V blade for mine, with actual hydraulics vs. the electric one that we ended up with from Polaris. It works okay though. The wife uses it most times when I'm gone during the Winter. I just don't like using straight blades anymore unless they've got wings on them. I find my V blades are much more efficient. Ranger 4.jpg

Happy Birthday MustangMike. I'll be joining the 70 club next June.

Throw so sides on that ranger , lol
I plan on it! But first, I want to add the back-rack, to see where/how it fits, and then I'm going to add the sides. I just know that without the back-rack, either me or the wife is going to toss a piece of firewood in the bed and break the rear window.

I plan on it! But first, I want to add the back-rack, to see where/how it fits, and then I'm going to add the sides. I just know that without the back-rack, either me or the wife is going to toss a piece of firewood in the bed and break the rear window.
Yup mine wraps all the way around. definitely a rear window saver . 👍

Back