Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All these new cartridges introduced these days are rediculass in my opinion. Especially these new "long range" cartridges! If you cant do it with a .308 don't bother trying! As far as hunting cartridges go. There's not a thing wrong with the Originals!!! .30-30, 45-70, .243Win, .308Win, .300 WM, .338WM, and of course let's not leave out the all American 30-06! Just to name a few. We all have our options on our favorite originals. Weather it be a standard deer cartridge, or a belted magnum. However, you can take all these new short mag's and 6.5's and cram'em! For generations there's already been plenty of outstanding cartridge's out there to choose from! That can do anything you need done! IMOP the industry dosent need a bunch more taking up valuable and hard to get brass and primer's! Lets get real here! 👍
A few years back I took a 2 day long-range class to see if it would hold my interest before buying the equipment. Targets were every 100 or 200 yards out to 1200. I used the .308 rental rifle fitted to me by the instructor with foam rubber duct taped to the non-adjustable stock. Everyone else had 6.5 Creedmoors and the guy on the left was using a .338 Lapua. The last time I shot a centerfire rifle was my war surplus 98 Mauser somewhere around 14 years old. Guess I was lucky or a natural because I kicked everyone's butt. :sweet: I will say, at least I was told, that 1200 yards is about the limit for .308. The holdover sounded ridiculous but I can't remember the number of feet.

i-KHNPLjN-L.jpgi-JPctB9L-L.jpg

A few years back I took a 2 day long-range class to see if it would hold my interest before buying the equipment. Targets were every 100 or 200 yards out to 1200. I used the .308 rental rifle fitted to me by the instructor with foam rubber duct taped to the non-adjustable stock. Everyone else had 6.5 Creedmoors and the guy on the left was using a .338 Lapua. The last time I shot a centerfire rifle was my war surplus 98 Mauser somewhere around 14 years old. Guess I was lucky or a natural because I kicked everyone's butt. :sweet: I will say, at least I was told, that 1200 yards is about the limit for .308. The holdover sounded ridiculous but I can't remember the number of feet.

View attachment 1009695View attachment 1009696
1200? Somewhere around 15 feet of hold over! That's bad ass! Thanks for sharing that story! .308 Win Federal Match King in 168gr SBT factory ammo is 50" at 500. At 700 its starts dropping drastically! 👍

1200? Somewhere around 15 feet of hold over! That's bad ass! Thanks for sharing that story! .308 Win Federal Match King in 168gr SBT factory ammo is 50" at 500. At 700 its starts dropping drastically! 👍
That's the same ammo I used. We were told to bring a minimum of 250 rounds. I used 2 boxes and sold the rest to a guy taking the next class.

All these new cartridges introduced these days are rediculass in my opinion. Especially these new "long range" cartridges! If you cant do it with a .308 don't bother trying! As far as hunting cartridges go. There's not a thing wrong with the Originals!!! .30-30, 45-70, .243Win, .308Win, .300 WM, .338WM, and of course let's not leave out the all American 30-06! Just to name a few. We all have our options on our favorite originals. Weather it be a standard deer cartridge, or a belted magnum. However, you can take all these new short mag's and 6.5's and cram'em! For generations there's already been plenty of outstanding cartridge's out there to choose from! That can do anything you need done! IMOP the industry dosent need a bunch more taking up valuable and hard to get brass and primer's! Lets get real here! 👍
I completely agree with you! I mean I recognize that the short mag development did have its place because it allowed to use a more powerful cartridge in a shorter action however the fact that everybody needs their own special short mag and now everybody needs to make their own super magnums is ridiculous. And don’t get me started on the Creedmoors… A line of fad cartridges that does everything decent but nothing exceptionally well. Yet these gun writers act like that round will not only find the game, it will shoot them through the eye, then clean and cook them for you too. Ridiculous!

Hate to go against the grain guys (even though I generally agree with you), but I'm thinking of making a custom gun.

Not that my Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 will not do anything I need done (especially with slightly hot handloads that shoot 1").

The problem is the current trend is small bore (6.5 and 6.8 mm), and I like a little larger (but not 45, etc). I'm very disappointed that very few manufacturers even chamber the 338 Federal, which seems to me to be a very good cartridge.

I'm thinking of having a 338-06 made up ... I think it would be perfect for heavy brush. I've also noticed over the years that larger diameter bullets kill faster, and a fully expanded 338 is much larger than a fully expanded 30. I don't mind a long action, and the 06 case seems to be the perfect size, and your magazine capacity will be greater than with a magnum.

My Nephew (MechanicMatt) took his nice buck (up at my property) with a Ruger M77 chambered for 35 Whalen, a combo that was only offered for a short time and is NLA.

Was going to do it for my 70th, but shortages of everything precluded me from doing so. I guess what I'm really looking for is something that performs like my 348 but allows me to use a scope! There is just something about using a cartridge that not everyone else has, especially if it works even better!

FYI, there are no 1,200 yd shots in the thick woods, I've only taken one deer much past 100 yds and it was within 150 yds. Open field hunting is much different.

What did you think of the Timbco? I got to play with one awhile back and thought it was pretty cool...although I don't know any better, so of course it was cool lol. On the flip side, they've put a lot of guys out of work...
It was a piece of junk, lol. Brakes wouldn’t hold on a steep hill, leaks, sloppy pins and bushings, weak motor and hydraulics. Timbco’s aren’t bad but that one had lots of hrs. I run one at my main job when conditions are right. They can’t handle very big trees though and steep rocky ground. Both of them have the bar saw head which is nice in some ways, you can grab a tree then cut it instead of trying to catch it as you cut it with a disk saw (hot saw). But they can’t hold or lift a big tree once it starts tipping so pretty easy to bend the bar. I prefer hand falling and yes they have taken a lot of jobs but that heated cab can be nice in the winter and most outfits around here can’t find hand fallers.

Pretty cool pics! All of them!

Nice shot! Dosent get much closer than that!👍

I always say that any sunset is a good one, but like the one in your picture. Some are definitely better than others! 👍

I've never ran a buncher! 🤔 Is there a "bunch" of lever's to control a "bunch" of functions? I do know that they've put a "bunch" of cutter's out of work! 😂
Thanks, it wasn’t supposed to be that close 😬
Six buttons on each lever plus the 4 functions of each lever😁.
One outfit here is spending almost a million on a tethered buncher set up because they can’t find fallers. Friend of mine that has a log truck hasn’t worked much this year because outfit he hauls for can’t find timber fallers. But I know what your saying and overall I wish there were less bunchers.

Then you'd have a lot more work to do cleaning up the edge, they'd be a lot cleaner with a Sawzall.
I've been wanting to buy a steel circular saw by Milwaukee.
naw! i have cut enuff steel plate w/torch to know... it's a nbd cut! well, if flame right, welder steady as the steady rest! piece melts out like hot knife thru warm butter! then it's just a quick kiss on the grinder to break the edge... fluff up the rest a bit... and git on with the show... especially if it is substructure down under bracketing! top side, i do like a finished cut when feasible... but i also like to grind smooth the weld bead... and bolt the item welded up to the other pce. guess i am more NASA like than just using oil field tolerances... i just cannot see myself running a sawsall thru 3/8ths plate for 9, 10...12"..... actually, i wouldn't even like to do it on a band saw with a steel cutting blade. plasma would be ok, though...

well, you get the idea
1660405204949.png

just how i see it. :cool: but my 2-cents all but worthless... it is you building the trailer not me!
:drinkingcoffee:

I'm still rotary cutting, it seems to be a never-ending job!

Resized-20220812-132612-S.jpg

Along with another tree infested field, at least I did get this one done today!

Resized-20220812-165936-S.jpg

SR
along with never ending pix, too! giving KK a run... almost like postcards from SR! ~ lol.... swell pix. big job. glad it is not mine... even assuming u like the $ pay. but i have enuff seat time on tractor shredding to know... a good shredding foto essay when i see one. hope u keep it up, ie pix, etc. stay cool out there, SR :)

seems strange to me to be shredding and not using grasses for agricultural purposes. ie, cattle...
1660406071813.png

Ever used one? Company I used to work for had one and it was worth every penny they give for it, despite the cost of replacement blades.
i wouldn't care to use a hand held set up, but bench mounted... they do make a clean cut! especially on bar, tube and angle...
1660406322591.png

along with never ending pix, too! giving KK a run... almost like postcards from SR! ~ lol.... swell pix. big job. glad it is not mine... even assuming u like the $ pay. but i have enuff seat time on tractor shredding to know... a good shredding foto essay when i see one. hope u keep it up, ie pix, etc. stay cool out there, SR :)

seems strange to me to be shredding and not using grasses for agricultural purposes. ie, cattle...
View attachment 1009774
thankyouverymuch! BUT, there's plenty of "goverment" beef on the property, they just aren't keeping all the grass mowed! lol

SR

I just bought 28 acres that's been partially logged so my scrounging days are over for a long time.

I've got oak, hickory, and hawthorn for as far as I can see. That's not including the cedar and pine.
sounds great! good for you! other than wood, how do u plan to use it? live on it? any improvements, currently?....

any close neighbors, or more so rural... rural! ~

Latest posts

Back