Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, there are no 1,200 yd shots in the thick woods, I've only taken one deer much past 100 yds and it was within 150 yds. Open field hunting is much different.
i remember a 1200 yard show that i could have taken. hunting with some friends in High Cascades, wintery day... and on a logging road walking up... cut into the side, tall pines either side. i stopped and scanned the hillside (mountain) yonder on. whiteish and i saw movement. i said, hey... hey! stop. look. what, where, there.... sure nuff! but, best we pass, who would want to pack it out... can u say steep! ;)

no shot across the valley that day!

It was a piece of junk, lol. Brakes wouldn’t hold on a steep hill, leaks, sloppy pins and bushings, weak motor and hydraulics. Timbco’s aren’t bad but that one had lots of hrs. I run one at my main job when conditions are right. They can’t handle very big trees though and steep rocky ground. Both of them have the bar saw head which is nice in some ways, you can grab a tree then cut it instead of trying to catch it as you cut it with a disk saw (hot saw). But they can’t hold or lift a big tree once it starts tipping so pretty easy to bend the bar. I prefer hand falling and yes they have taken a lot of jobs but that heated cab can be nice in the winter and most outfits around here can’t find hand fallers.
well, i have never used anything like such! but your comments are interesting. to say the least, seemed a bit scary to me... well, the angle of the trax... i guess the cab has a leveler on/in it... i was thinking not a place i would like to be...

Thanks, it wasn’t supposed to be that close 😬
Six buttons on each lever plus the 4 functions of each lever😁.
One outfit here is spending almost a million on a tethered buncher set up because they can’t find fallers. Friend of mine that has a log truck hasn’t worked much this year because outfit he hauls for can’t find timber fallers. But I know what your saying and overall I wish there were less bunchers.
not at all unlike the utility company i get my juice from up along the county line. used to be their contractor tree cleaning crews were arborists/cutters. with a boom. now they want to use forest thrashers and large sky saws. no chipping, just shredding it all cut into 12-14" pcs. and tear up totally all the ground they are working on in and around the power lines. horizontal soil tillers... on trax!!! :(

while i guess ok for them, ie clean to ground, no tree tips hit the wires... no fires, tc. i had them on my place few months back... and once i saw what they do... let them finish on the deal for rework we agreed on, but then put a stop to it all!

hope we get to see a pix of it...
The fireplace starts in the walk-in basement and up into the first and second floors. Here's a couple picts.,

Resized-20220624-113350-S.jpg

All the stone came right off this place,

Resized-20220624-113500-S.jpg

I also milled out the stair treads too, and the fireplace goes through and is used in the second-floor master bedroom too...

Resized-20220624-113536-S.jpg

SR

Good evening guys,

Worked on the splitter the last couple days I got rid of the one janked up motor mount my plan is the one on the other side is more square and not as bad so I used the cut off wheel and git it off of there and ground it back flush. Next will be wire wheeling the whole thing and repaint. My question for you guys is I will include a photo of the pump. I cant find anywhere on it the make or model or the gpm of the pump. Does anyone know how to identify it by size or anything. My next thing is what size of engine goes for what size pump is this 14hp wisconsin overkill should I go to harbor freight and get a 100 dollar predator and make it lighter and be done? 20220813_163652.jpg20220813_201534.jpg20220813_163419.jpg

wondering.... how old are trees like that?
On Afognak Island. 200-300 years is common. Some Of these Sitka Spruce have been aged up to and over 350. 👍 Im sure there are older Sitka Spruce in South East Alaska and the West Coast of the lower 48.

@Kodiak Kid I know you like the larger Stihls...here's the current project I'm working on. Basically a basket-case 064 that I'm doing up for someone. I'm going to completely rebuild and hopefully "unlock" some more power. It's going to be a little bit of a project, it's missing some stuff...no that 660 recoil/flywheel cover doesn't work on it lol.

20220812_183434.jpg.e16a612060a3deca46a2a9f213cc0d4b.jpg

20220812_183453.jpg.d8559435336e30366f428593bb93536e.jpg
20220813_202341.jpg.4a4e931f83033cc90c063aef07c69409.jpg

Thanks, it wasn’t supposed to be that close 😬
Six buttons on each lever plus the 4 functions of each lever😁.
One outfit here is spending almost a million on a tethered buncher set up because they can’t find fallers. Friend of mine that has a log truck hasn’t worked much this year because outfit he hauls for can’t find timber fallers. But I know what your saying and overall I wish there were less bunchers.
It's a dying trade! Im the youngest cutter on the crew and Im 46. IMOP there are so many variables involved as far as experience level. A lot of professional cutters can only cut, or should I say. Have experience cutt'n only one or two species very well, or only on moderate terrain. Some have only cutting experience in second growth stands. Witch have far far less snags then an old growth forest. Just a few of many examples. I'm sure you get what I'm saying though. The best timber fallers I personally myself have ever seen or worked with. Were 60 years old 25 years ago and had 30+ years experience. They could cut any species on any ground. Were talking cutters who grew up in Old Growth camps who's Father's cut and came from the old school. My boss is 060 and he puts more timber on the ground than both the other cutter 48 and I 46. Not more than both of us combined of course. But his numbers are always higher than either of ours by several trees. He knows many many tricks of the trade!👍 Witch saves him time and energy. IMOP Thats what it takes to be a good cutter and for others to recognize you as a good cutter. But!!! Hear's the interesting thing. He leaves his falling axe in the pickup!!! Dosent use one, and dosent need one! Im not joking! Hes that good!👍 He says "Why thats just one more thing to pack around!" 😂🤣 Don't get me wrong. If he has to cut a fringe leaning hard over a steep draw, or something similar along those lines. Occasionally he will knock the rust off the Poll of his axe.👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

@Kodiak Kid I know you like the larger Stihls...here's the current project I'm working on. Basically a basket-case 064 that I'm doing up for someone. I'm going to completely rebuild and hopefully "unlock" some more power. It's going to be a little bit of a project, it's missing some stuff...no that 660 recoil/flywheel cover doesn't work on it lol.

Good saws for sure! A lot of interchangeable parts between the 64 and 66. Probably more so than any other two of Stihl's 70cc and up. Maybe the 084 and 088 would be right in there too, but Im not exactly sure. Im sure you know that. Im just stating that's what I really like about the 64.👍 Plus, it's a great reliable and powerful saw!

It's a dying trade! Im the youngest cutter on the crew and Im 46. IMOP there are so many variables involved as far as experience level. A lot of professional cutters can only cut, or should I say. Have experience cutt'n only one or two species very well, or only on moderate terrain. Some have only cutting experience in second growth stands. Witch have far far less snags then an old growth forest. Just a few of many examples. I'm sure you get what I'm saying though. The best timber fallers I personally myself have ever seen or worked with. Were 60 years old 25 years ago and had 30+ years experience. They could cut any species on any ground. Were talking cutters who grew up in Old Growth camps who's Father's cut and came from the old school. My boss is 060 and he puts more timber on the ground than both the other cutter 48 and I 46. Not more than both of us combined of course. But his numbers are always higher than either of ours by several trees. He knows many many tricks of the trade!👍 Witch saves him time and energy. IMOP Thats what it takes to be a good cutter and for others to recognize you as a good cutter. But!!! Hear's the interesting thing. He leaves his falling axe in the pickup!!! Dosent use one, and dosent need one! Im not joking! Hes that good!👍 He says "Why thats just one more thing to pack around!" 😂🤣 Don't get me wrong. If he has to cut a fringe leaning hard over a steep draw, or something similar along those lines. Occasionally he will knock the rust off the Poll of his axe.👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

The education system pushes kids away from anything trade related. People seriously think that jobs that don't require college aren't skilled. It's like when people complain about the price of tree work...I suggest if they think it's overpriced, maybe they should do it themselves. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with you on the lack of different experiences. I'm nowhere near the level of competency of someone like you or Nate, but I've always at least tried to expand my "toolbox." It seems like a lot of the tree guys I work with and the other fallers on the fire side of things, just stick to policy or what they know. I'm guilty of the not knowing different species of trees that well. My job this past week was mostly cutting hardwoods...I'm used to cutting softwoods, mostly pine, fir, and some redwood, and am used to how well they hinge. I tried to apply the same techniques to a side leaning oak and ended up having to cut it out of the tree it got hung up in.:mad:

Nice!! Except for the devils club😬
You work for these guys?View attachment 1009743
Roger. Thats is the company I work for. Yeah the devil's club can bad sometimes. Gotta run the gauntlet by cutting trails through it from tree to tree sometimes! Devils club over your head with stalks so big a guys gotta put face cuts in them! 😂🤣 Just joking about the face cuts!👍

Good saws for sure! A lot of interchangeable parts between the 64 and 66. Probably more so than any other two of Stihl's 70cc and up. Maybe the 084 and 088 would be right in there too, but Im not exactly sure. Im sure you know that. Im just stating that's what I really like about the 64.👍 Plus, it's a great reliable and powerful saw!
A lot of parts that are interchangeable with the 066 and a lot that aren't...there's a bunch of different flywheel and coil combos between the 064 and various 066s. I'm interested to get this one going and run it back-to-back with my hot-rodded round top 066. The round-tops catch a lotta flak online, but mine runs pretty strong now.

I think the 084 was kind of a unique saw. They do share some stuff with the 088, but I think they had a lightweight flywheel that kind of set them apart from the other big-cube saws. I had the chance to buy a project 084 for cheap and passed it up, I'm stihl kicking myself for that.

Thats the thing about the Tree work industry IMOP. Its not just a basic skill set that you can learn in Summer like curb and gutter concrete work, or painting house's for a couple examples . Urban and general tree removal, climbing, piecing, forest burn fighting, timber falling and other timber work is a very special skill set that takes years to actually get "good" at. Also, I agree. As you just mentioned. I too feel thats why the costs are so high. Im lacking in the different species experience department as well. Many timber workers are.

Thats the thing about the Tree work industry IMOP. Its not just a basic skill set that you can learn in Summer like curb and gutter concrete work, or painting house's for a couple examples . Climbing, piecing, forest burn fighting, timber falling and other timber work is a very special skill set that takes years to actually get "good" at. Also, I agree. As you just mentioned. I too feel thats why the costs are so high. Im lacking in the different species experience department as well. Many timber workers are.
Not to mention that death or disfigurement aren't usually a possible consequence for making a mistake in the college-edumicated fields. I've had scary moments while both climbing and falling, and have been in verrry uncomfortable situations during timber fires.

i remember a 1200 yard show that i could have taken. hunting with some friends in High Cascades, wintery day... and on a logging road walking up... cut into the side, tall pines either side. i stopped and scanned the hillside (mountain) yonder on. whiteish and i saw movement. i said, hey... hey! stop. look. what, where, there.... sure nuff! but, best we pass, who would want to pack it out... can u say steep! ;)

no shot across the valley that day!
As much as enjoy long range shooting and just shooting in general as well as hunting. Not sure I support "long range hunting". If a person is going to be taking 500, 600, 700 yard shots or further. I sure hope the hunter is 100% certain the shot will be placed well and the projectile has enough energy (especially on bigger game 700 and further) to produce a fast humane kill. No questions asked. Otherwise, IMOP it is not ethical hunting. I also feel, well placed shot producing a humane kill or not. Long Range hunting is not at all fair chase spot and stalk or fair chase ambush hunting. Just my opinion bud. I hold no grudges and/or pass no judgment on anyone who is into long range hunting. Its just not for me. 👍

Not to mention that death or disfigurement aren't usually a possible consequence for making a mistake in the college-edumicated fields. I've had scary moments while both climbing and falling, and have been in verrry uncomfortable situations during timber fires.
Absolutely Agreed! It can all be very very dangerous work! I had a very close call today as a matter of fact that could have seriously injured or killed me. Simply because of my negligence by not paying close attention to my complete surrounding's. I won't get into detail, but lets just say I got very lucky. I have close calls all the time that probably wouldn't kill me or seriously injure me, but they would definitely hurt and probably put me out of commission for a day or two with accident report paper work involved. I avoid many hazards by paying attention and staying focused. When a person gets fatigued and sloppy is most often when he gets seriously hurt or killed. That's why OSHA forbids timber fallers to work more than 6.5 hours a day when on the books for a company or under contract. For good reason too. Im in pretty decent shape, but after 6.5 on the saw. Im pretty worn down and much slower and fatigued for the last hour of work compared to being fresh in the morning at start up. Especially in difficult terrain!

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

The fireplace starts in the walk-in basement and up into the first and second floors. Here's a couple picts.,

Resized-20220624-113350-S.jpg

All the stone came right off this place,

Resized-20220624-113500-S.jpg

I also milled out the stair treads too, and the fireplace goes through and is used in the second-floor master bedroom too...

Resized-20220624-113536-S.jpg

SR
some stone work! thanks for the post. enjoyed seeing the ranch's fireplace... :)

On Afognak Island. 200-300 years is common. Some Of these Sitka Spruce have been aged up to and over 350. 👍 Im sure there are older Sitka Spruce in South East Alaska and the West Coast of the lower 48.
oic, makes me sorta :cry: but business is business... glad to see there are many Forestry Conservation Areas in US. one close to Las Vegas, Redrock... was on tv cable this evening... not too many big pines per se, but still singled out for protection...

i like that work table... bench! :)

Back