Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will it pull a 25” in hardwood well? I’ve ran it with the 20” and I would be a little disappointed if a 25” took the wind out of it. It seems really strong and I am getting used to that, but I would like more reach for my aging back.
No issues with a 24" bar in oak,locust or walnut with mine today. Its not a saw you can lean on like a 90cc saw, but it handles it well imo. Wouldn't want to go any bigger with it in hard wood.

I saw in some of your previous posts that you have a couple 372xp's in your fleet. How does your 400 compare to them, weight wise and power wise? I tossed one of the 400's around at our local ACE hardware when they first came out, but that was just a bone dry powerhead with no bar and chain.
I've got a couple of 044s and a de-stratoed 372xt, so it's a bit heavier than a 372oe. As far as weights, the 400 is significantly lighter than all of those saws...the 400 is 15lb, 11.4 Oz. 044 is 17lb 2.2 Oz, and the 372xt is 17lb, 10oz. All are wrap handle models with large falling dogs.

As far as the power, the stock 400 felt stronger than a stock 044/440 across the rpm range. I had ported/machined/de-stratoed the 372 before I ever got the 400, so I never did an accurate comparison between them. I suspect the 400 would be stronger on mid-top power compared to a stock saw and might give up a bit of low end torque.

As it stands right now, I did minor port and machine work to the 400, and it's close to the modded XT in torque...the XT isn't nearly as snappy as the 400 though. Some of the torque difference can be explained with porting #'s I went with in either saw. I like the modded 400 as a smaller medium sized falling saw. It has no problem with the 28", and the responsive power is awesome to limb with.

You are able to shoot 30-06 in a 30-03, but not vice versa. The shell length for a 30-03 is 2.54, but only 2.494 for a 30-06.

Other than the shell length and weight bullet, they are the same. They both should have 1 in 10 twist.
Good stuff! I didn't know that. Now I'm glad I do. 👍

Will it pull a 25” in hardwood well? I’ve ran it with the 20” and I would be a little disappointed if a 25” took the wind out of it. It seems really strong and I am getting used to that, but I would like more reach for my aging back.
It will pull a 25” great I retired my 440 after I got my 400

You are able to shoot 30-06 in a 30-03, but not vice versa. The shell length for a 30-03 is 2.54, but only 2.494 for a 30-06.

Other than the shell length and weight bullet, they are the same. They both should have 1 in 10 twist.
I never heard of the 30-03 either. I used to own a sporterized Krag years ago. It didn't fit into my line of collecting and sold it.

I still love my 10mm 044, but is sees a lot less use since I got my 2 ported 462s (20" + 24").

If I want a 28" bar I go to my ported hybrid, and I generally use my ported 261 (18" 3/8) for liming.

Unless I'm milling or a chain gets rocked I likely would never "want" for anything more than those 4 saws, unless I'm noodling large rounds with my ported 660!

Going from the gun thread to an oil thread. :laughing:@svk . My buddy bought a gallon of the cam2 bar oil today. In researching it we found an old thread about you using it. Just wondering if you have any more input on it? $6.99 a gallon at rural king now. Thanks. OK, back to guns fellas.:laugh:
I wish I had a Rural King in Mass.

Here are some pics of my Dad with his 03 when he was in the reserves prior to WW II, the other guy was the Company Commander.

FYI, the 30-03 was initially loaded with a 220 grain round nose bullet at 2,300 FPS, as compared to the Krag 220 grain load at 2,000 FPS.

In response to the increased effectiveness of Mauser spitzer bullets, the military went to a 150 grain spitzer bullet at 2,800 FPS in 1906 (hence the 30-06).

In 1926 they further modified things going with a 174 grain spitzer bullet that carried better than the 150 grain bullet.

The 06 would stay in service until the introduction of the 308 in 1952.

Attachments

• NNJr-FtEthanAllen-Jan1942.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 0
I've hunted with single shot rifles and 2-shot shotguns for decades... with focus on the hunt more than the shooting. I like the aesthetics of those types of guns too... This flintlock takes those preferences to another level and is far more interesting and meaningful to me than any other gun could be.
Nice.

I only hunt grouse with a single shot or double. Ducks on the other hand, I use an auto although I would love to find a long barreled side by side...tradition.

I still have trouble switching triggers on SXS when wingshooting ducks.

Here are some pics of my Dad with his 03 when he was in the reserves prior to WW II, the other guy was the Company Commander.

FYI, the 30-03 was initially loaded with a 220 grain round nose bullet at 2,300 FPS, as compared to the Krag 220 grain load at 2,000 FPS.

In response to the increased effectiveness of Mauser spitzer bullets, the military went to a 150 grain spitzer bullet at 2,800 FPS in 1906 (hence the 30-06).

In 1926 they further modified things going with a 174 grain spitzer bullet that carried better than the 150 grain bullet.

The 06 would stay in service until the introduction of the 308 in 1952.
I've said it before but you sure have strong genetics on your dad's side....one look and there's no doubt that Matt's kids are his great grandchildren!

Speaking of guns and bear stories…
View attachment 1020007View attachment 1020008
One wonders if bear number one got him before succumbing to injuries? Or if a second bear came along and got him while he was skinning the first one?

My dad hunted with this Guide in the late 70s. Legendary Kodiak guides Pinnell and Talifson.
Great article.

I knew I should not have done it, but I had to. I did not want to shoot the 2nd 30-06 in Ruger American Rifle that I got because I am supposed to convert it to 338-06, but my grandson took his 1st deer with my other 06 so I know he is going to want to use it, so I just had to sight this one in for my use.

It is not even broken in, just the 2nd time to the range and has it has less than a box of shells fired (even after today). Using virgin brass, 165 grain Remington bulk bullets (usually not the most accurate) and 57 grains of IMR 4350 (my old Nosler manual claims that is the most accurate load) it fired a 3 shot 1" group, then I moved the scope "on target" and fired two more ... they were only 3/8" apart!

This gun may have just saved itself; I may have to search for another doner gun for my barrel (which is on order, but months away).

Back