Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately they tore it all down! šŸ‘Ž When I worked for the ADF&G on a saImon weir near there. I use to explore the old cannery and out crop buildings quite a bit. There was a lot of history there!
It is really crazy which historic buildings the government chooses to preserve and which ones they tear down. Same thing around here.

I know that some of their decisions are vendettas...one state guy swore to get rid of the "eyesore" of historic boathouses on our lake. They are still there after his death but they changed the rules and only allow the leases to be transferred once then they must be turned over to the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuntz_Bay_Boathouse_Historic_District

So I'm not the only one here that has to look after their old man's saws? Mine is pretty good with mechanical stuff, so I generally don't have to work on his. That being said, he always wants me to grind chains for him...my response is that he knows where I live and he's more than welcome to sit in front of my chain grinder anytime he feels like it. :laugh:
It's actually my saw. Dad wore out grandpa's 036 and I'm not really a 50cc guy. Really he just doesn't want to mess with mechanical stuff anymore. Bad hand eye coordination, and zero patience. He did give me a bunch of chains and said while it's back at your house sharpen these for me....

+1 my old man is allergic to sharpening chains as well. When I consider what my hands feel like every morning, I can't really blame him, his are probably 10x worse. I should look into a grinder.
Yeah, mine has no excuse. His hands are probably in better shape than mine. I have some inflammation issues, so my hands don't particularly enjoy hand filing...even though I mostly hand file. Not to mention various injuries I've had, lots of hard living on my part lol. He's got a bum shoulder, but that's his only excuse.

It's actually my saw. Dad wore out grandpa's 036 and I'm not really a 50cc guy. Really he just doesn't want to mess with mechanical stuff anymore. Bad hand eye coordination, and zero patience. He did give me a bunch of chains and said while it's back at your house sharpen these for me....
My old man has a few 40-60cc saws, so he's pretty set with smaller saws. He uses them just the right amount to not really need maintenance. He cuts just often enough that the gas never gets old enough to cause problems, but not often enough to actually wear anything out. I actually don't have to do much on his saws, he does most of his own maintenance, but he is always trying to rope me into sharpening his chains.

He does have a hole in his line up for a larger saw, so I'll give him that Echo 8000 once I'm done with it. I thought I was almost finished with it, but the 35 year old rubber parts disintegrated :mad: . He really wants one of my 044s, but I'm not quite ready to part with either one.

My old man has a few 40-60cc saws, so he's pretty set with smaller saws. He uses them just the right amount to not really need maintenance. He cuts just often enough that the gas never gets old enough to cause problems, but not often enough to actually wear anything out. I actually don't have to do much on his saws, he does most of his own maintenance, but he is always trying to rope me into sharpening his chains.

He does have a hole in his line up for a larger saw, so I'll give him that Echo 8000 once I'm done with it. I thought I was almost finished with it, but the 35 year old rubber parts disintegrated :mad: . He really wants one of my 044s, but I'm not quite ready to part with either one.
Couldn't hand my old man a bigger saw even if I wanted too. He would hand it right back and say "that's what your back is for." LOL. I don't ride him too hard. He worked 24/7 to get where he's at now and provide for all of us kids, so it's just right I help him and mom out as much as I can.

I thought I was in the movie Christmas story the other day, I got a pellet pistol for varmint shooting and at 10feet away I shot a 2-4 pt scrap and the pellet ricocheted back at me and hit my arm. At 456 FPS I thought it would go in, not bounce off. My1000 FPS pellet rifle went in the 2-4. Got the pistol so my wife and I could use it, and I put a cheap laser sight on it that is dead already. Spend $15 and I got $15. I have .22 rifles and pistol but some of the shots would be questionable if I missed, safety 1st.
Split up some logs I cut 2 or3 months ago, they were wet and had worms in the bark already. This is good green wood, good reason not to leave it on the ground.

Had a tree chair on me today. A pretty good one too! Ripped directly in half about 20 feet up before it sprung out and splintered off! šŸ‘ Made the hair on my neck stand up so high that the Barber asked me if I wanted a shave with my cut! šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

I didn't have my phone with me today, but its right on the edge of my strip. I'll get pics tomorrow morning and post them after work. šŸ‘

Had a tree chair on me today. A pretty good one too! Ripped directly in half about 20 feet up before it sprung out and splintered off! šŸ‘ Made the hair on my neck stand up so high that the Barber asked me if I wanted a shave with my cut! šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

I didn't have my phone with me today, but its right on the edge of my strip. I'll get pics tomorrow morning and post them after work. šŸ‘
Bet that made you check your undies! Glad you didn't get hurt.

How would you know about the hair on your neck, weren't you making tracks to the mainland like Forest Gump, run Kodiak run! šŸ¤£.
I wouldn't joke about it, but you are so...
Glad your okay, hope your new haircut looks šŸ‘Œ.
I had one reverse chair on me yesterday, or something like that lol. Good thing for me I was a good bit away watching it straightening up, then lay right were I asked it to go :clap:.
Back leaner that I pulled out of a maple, good thing Box Elder is lightweight with an angle like it had on it. There was quite a bit of it sticking out past the maple that was dead, that's part of the reason they wanted it out, as it was above the propane tank or at least it could have fallen on it.
It's the one with the ladder leaning against it.
20220927_160832.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 10.47.17 PM.png
Pretty cool looking flame in the wood.
20220927_171328.jpg

Split and stacked the last of the scrounged stringybark, thought I'd try making one of those cinder block firewood stands (not my photo) sadly I didn't have enough to fill it.
20220929-IMG_9672.jpg
As I was splitting I was feeding a fire with all of the left over junk, rolling it around my corn patch to kill all the grass and weeds so I can get it ready to plant this year. It worked really well, the whole area in the photo is now charred and crispy.
20220929-IMG_9671.jpg
I need to scrounge more wood. I'll go for a drive tomorrow with my head out of the car window and see if I can sniff something out.

So they guy I got those 2 old saws off of hit me up if I got either to run yet. Told him no, just got them cleaned up and tested for spark. Nadda on either saw.
Figured the points were needing attention. The homelite had a mouse nest in the fan shroud at one point, they took a liking to the high tension lead. I'll need to replace that. And the points in the sears looked OK, so I cleaned them up and no joy. Just can't get it to spark. Guess I should be looking for replacements for both saws. Don't really need them to run but it would be nice.
Other then ebay anyone know of a good parts source?

So they guy I got those 2 old saws off of hit me up if I got either to run yet. Told him no, just got them cleaned up and tested for spark. Nadda on either saw.
Figured the points were needing attention. The homelite had a mouse nest in the fan shroud at one point, they took a liking to the high tension lead. I'll need to replace that. And the points in the sears looked OK, so I cleaned them up and no joy. Just can't get it to spark. Guess I should be looking for replacements for both saws. Don't really need them to run but it would be nice.
Other then ebay anyone know of a good parts source?
Post some pics friend. I have some homies and at least 1 older sears.

Post some pics friend. I have some homies and at least 1 older sears.
I'll get some better pics tonight when I get home. The homelite is a 7-21. The sears a
Is a 914?

Attachments

• 20220928_145416.jpg
    20220928_145416.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220928_145400.jpg
    20220928_145400.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220928_145351.jpg
    20220928_145351.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts