Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7510, the smaller frame B series. Been dead reliable. I'd imagine the larger series would be much the same. $5900 is a steel if it's in good shape with a loader, imo. I bought mine foe $3k with bald tires and no loader. Tires were $1k, ballast was $400 ish for the rear. Loader was built with materials I had laying around, sans the hydro lines and cylinders and diverted valve. I have just over $5k into it.

I absolutely agree....when the stumps have go, it's a very bad plan to saw the trees down....pushing em out is the only to go.
I was just saying I don't like the results.. but I know it's gotta be that way sometimes.

I dug a big stump out in early summer, it took way way way more effort than most people would think. I dug six feet deep on three sides of the stump, and I still couldn’t get it out by curling the bucket back. So I dug on the 4th side by hand (there was a huge pile on that side) and put a choker around it, after all that it still took some effort to pop it out. I cut it down because it was dead, I’m weary of dead trees breaking off and falling on me.

Anyone have any experience with a Kubota B 9200?? Considering one with a loader for 5,900
If it's a good runner that's a great price, hard to find a kubota under 10k, even a bx.
I prefer 4wd for the terrain and snow up here, and if you are putting much weight in the loader you'll want it unless you have a lot of ballast.

I've got that poster on display in my shop. I also have his book 'High Climbers and Timber Fallers.' It's pretty cheap from Bailey's and has some really awesome stories and photos...he basically documented the last of the old growth redwood logging.
Another plug for that book!

Do you have a link to the story on this? I’d like to see video of them getting it back down.

Reminds me of one at my brother's house. Using an 8N to push with the bucket raised up. We had already took the top offf leaving about an 6' stump. Bucket slid up, over and down with the stump coming up between the bucket and the radiator. That was some 40 years ago and I do not recall how he got that solved. I left before it was done.

Is the tank on a stand, or higher ground? The steep terrain of my property is a pain in some ways, but it allowed me to get my water tank eighty vertical feet up.
It's my second interation of a 2 story outhouse. I had 24' - 6x6 square marine pilings I put a couple feet in the ground and built a platform on top and a simple shed roof on top making a 10x10 room for the tank, and cantilevered roof 12 x 18. From the ground I have seven steps up to a deck with 6' of open deck under roof where I have a clawfoot tub and "inside" the pilings is the toilet room with a really high ceiling, all enclosed with salvaged vinyl siding. I backfilled the area around the pilings, some it it coming from digging the 1500 gallon holding tank mostly into the ground, the Tolliet drains directly into the tank, which is vented all the way to the top- no leechfield needed. We only poop in it in the wintertime, all summer the effluent just clarifies and eventually is evaporated off, never more than 4 or 5 inches of "poop" in the tank, and its as big as a volkwagon...... I can build any structure from below grade to finish trim and millwork, but prefer post and beam framing, and enjoy working alone. The tank has alot of head pressure being so high, and I can outdoor shower or run a 100 garden hose to the main cabin and have water pressure on gravity alone. The fluid head pressure is enough to run a 3200psi pressure washer when I need to wash the stairs and decks off or clean a tractor or Skidsteer of mud. I have a Rinai gas HWH that runs on the gravity, so I can get a bath in the clawfoot under the stars If I am reallly muddy/nasty.

I ran a 2" pvc into the top and down the ouside wall and have a few valves to work with, one of which I use a Honda 4 stroke 1hp Water pump from the IBC with my cheap city water ( chlorinated and flourinated) and pump it up through the 2" standpipe to the holding tank until its full- which creates the siphon effect for gravity flow down later.

The tank room is enclosed only on three sides, I left the fourth side open and its a generous space for two people to hunt from, even with the tank in it. (Its a PCO slide in truck tank- looks a little like a mushroom. Has a 12" manhole in the top, never been but fresh water in it, and it has no, drain cut in)

I dont think there's eight vertical feet of elevation change within 200 miles of me here in Florida..... JK, but really, the highest points in this coastal couoty are the three or four landfills. The Honda Water pump has no problem pumping up until it cant (gravity), but its easy to keep pumping from one to the next, you just need more tanks, in a cascade.

My cabin on pilings is (has been) ready to put the kitchen and bathroom in it this winter, and I have a couple of nice solar panels to install and a battery bank on the pole barn, so i have projects to do that are affordable, just batteries to purchase, but I also have to enlcose the ends of the pole barn with the two 12' garage doors I've been saving, too. The solar will become real important for 12v LED lighting in the barn once I enclose it. 32x16x16H. The cabin toilet will get its own 500g holding tank, and I will pump it across the landing as needed to the huge tank. The gray water will also get a tank and I will send it seperate, The fresh water supply will get a new tank under the cabin as well. Tanks are cheap. I don't really have plans to dig a well, but I can get water at 15' jetting through the limestone, and have chemists that work for my city water supply who will test it, its possible it may be better water than 60 or 80', but I dont use enough to want a pump to maintain. We carry a carboy or three of water from home for cooking, easy.

I dont bother with needing to pop stumps out anymore, but when had to, I used a BH, and dug around the tree, putting all of the fill in the same spot, about 8-10 feet away, then went opposite side and pushed the tree onto the pile of fill, the stem hits the pile, and the whole rootwad jumps up out of the ground. Just a violent cantilevering, works good. Cut tree up, carry the stump to a burn pile, and backfill the hole.

If it's a good runner that's a great price, hard to find a kubota under 10k, even a bx.
I prefer 4wd for the terrain and snow up here, and if you are putting much weight in the loader you'll want it unless you have a lot of ballast.
It is 4x4. My little place is all hills so I need that.

With my budget it was one or the other, so I chose the log grapple. Plus it was closer and two thirds the cost.
But a dedicated grapple won't do near as many different jobs as pallet forks/grapple. That's what makes that combo so desirable. So, in the end, that combo tool saves you money and time, not having to change tools for different jobs.

My pallet fork combo has been so versatile, I rarely even take it off the tractor...

SR

Back