Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current state of the bird

View attachment 1034836
looks like turkey soup or close. 👌

i 'have to make turkey soup!' if i do a bird. but takes so long. debone. cook bones, etc. take all out, set aside. day 1. let broth cool overnite, remove fat. day 2 and includes (usually) working thru the bones, etc... all not digestive, etc. soft and meat on or off bones goes in soup. day 3 if not done next day after. then, depending, make soup or next day. day 4. always takes several days.

My experience says you are wrong on that, mine picks up everything but the tiniest pieces, and I don't pick those up.

Keep in mind, my forks are adjustable, so I can use them wide or in, as needed.

No matter, you already let the deal go by.

SR
some guys are experienced with pallet forks, others experienced with building firewood stacking pallets...
zzzzxpl.JPG

Who knows axes? I found this one at the farm today. It has a 7 1/2" wide cutting face. What would they have used such a wide faced axe for?
that's what i would like to know about my lil hammer project... i found it in a box other day up in the bunkhouse. beat up, busted, taped and big screw to hold handle together. i have put it back together, sanded stained and ready for varnish once i do something for the broken claw! wtf is about all i can say! gzzz... tool abuse! is there a law agains that? :popcorn2:

P1010021.JPG
P1010019.JPGP1010020.JPGP1010022.JPG

mite put in a wooden dowel, too. extra glue surface and a crude inlay

Is it flat on one side? If so, its is a peeling and froe axe. Used fir stripping bark and breaking down shake bolts in the place of an actual draw knife and froe. However, it is not as efficient as either. Kind of a three in one axe/hatchet would be my guess.
like FS suggested in another thread, prob the axe restore thread guys might know...

33" forest burn Sitka Spruce dry snag. Vs. Pro Modified Stock 661 with 32" .50g bar spinning 3/8 semi skip square grind.

View attachment 1035001

As you can see in the video. I tripped over the throttle shortly after the start and restricted waste flow at the end.

Chain was sharp, but not fresh off the stone. Im going to time this buck tomorrow with the log up off the ground and less or maybe even no dawg'n in. I think I'll shave 5 seconds. I bucked three more rounds off the log after the video, so I'll be bucking probably around 35" maybe 36" in the next demo. I'll try and post the video tomorrow.👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
rips right thru that!

Modern Marvels had Wood running again other nite. them 70 hp saws are a bit awesome! 😋

and at lumberjack camp contest, they still pull a mean saw! team of 2 can make a cookie from 17" log in 7 seconds!! 👍

Good morning fellows. I think after the kids wake up we’re going to take a ride up to the cabin. Still trying to get my daughter her first grouse this year. Maybe shoot some guns too. It was well above freezing overnight and supposed to be over 40 today so I’m thinking our snow will mostly be gone which is fine by me. Hope all of you have a great day.

View attachment 1035054
might be some good time to lounge out a bit, too. :)
zzzzxls.JPG

I had a drilling-12 gauges over 30-06 from my dad. Beautiful gun to the point I felt bad shooting it. Sold it in my 20’s. My dad only took it out once ever as well.

12 gauge barrels were cylinder bore so it would not have been good for anything but grouse around here.

Love the concept though.

It's 16ga, but I have some spl. made inserts that allow me to shoot 20ga. in it, to make it even more versatile.

8x57jrs-200-yds-S.jpg

I also have a couple Krieghoff insert bbls., to convert the right shot bbl. to 22LR or 22 Win. Mag.

P1000227-S.jpg

It makes it pretty handy dandy.

SR
Less than 1/4 MOA at 200yrds! Very Impressive grouping!👍

A piece of equipment large enough to push over trees is not cheap.

No it isn’t, that’s why I bought an older one. When we got our mountain property I started looking at tractors and quickly found that a regular size tractor wasn’t going to do what I wanted, clear timberland to make a usable area. Our machine is 32,000 lbs.

looks like turkey soup or close. 👌

i 'have to make turkey soup!' if i do a bird. but takes so long. debone. cook bones, etc. take all out, set aside. day 1. let broth cool overnite, remove fat. day 2 and includes (usually) working thru the bones, etc... all not digestive, etc. soft and meat on or off bones goes in soup. day 3 if not done next day after. then, depending, make soup or next day. day 4. always takes several days.
Good soup but not that much trouble. Cut remaining meat off carcass and place in a container. Cut carcass up and place in SS pot. Cover with water and boil 2-3 hours. Pour hot mix through colander into a second SS pot. Pick meat off bones in colander once cool (usually an hour). Put meat in container and refrigerate. Refrigerate 2nd pot. Day 2: Skim off top layer and make soup.

So, it was getting soft in the middle. Then I make another cut and I start getting wet. What the...ah.

The soft centre which felt a bit like foam rubber then hollowed out and contained a whole lot of water from all the rain we have had in the middle of the trunk. I let that drain out and did some swingin' in the meantime. This stuff does split pretty well.

20221119_095829.jpg

The log was about 25m in from the road and there were some obstacles to getting the wood out. So I would cut and split then shot put the splits into a pile where Cowgirl and Cowdad would retrieve them with the wheelbarrow. Here's an action shot!

20221119_100945.jpg

The rounds split pretty well with the fiskars, 3 or 4 motivated swings would halve them.

20221119_095435.jpg

Once I got all the water out of the log, there was just a hollow centre with solid wood all round which made it even easier to split.

20221119_113407.jpg

Yes, yes, the wheelbarrow stuff is coming... :surprised3: :happybanana:

Many of you will remember that my old man hit a wombat on his pushbike at 30km/hr back in February and had a hard landing on the road, breaking his pelvis and had a 10mm (nearly half inch) wide fracture through his left hip socket. Well, he is up and about again now. Never mind that he is 81 years old. :numberone:

20221119_120251.jpg

And with the cutting and splitting all done, it is time to check Cowgirl's form with the wheelbarrow.

Cowdad has been negligent in his wheelbarrow maintenance if you ask me, hear the squeaks!

The problem with being 5' 2" is that you don't have easy clearance and have to hitch the shoulders to miss bumps with the back legs of the wheelbarrow. Well, that's what she said, sounds like an excuse to me. :laugh:

They work far better than you think they will.

I just used someone else's once and had to get one of my own.

The X-27 (36" handle) is, IMO, the best one to use.

This is tough Chestnut Oak (look at some of the grain) all split with the X-27.

I surprised myself that I was able to split some of this stuff!
We got lots of that here in KY, in the white oak family and burns great if you can dry it.

Back