Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up battleship enthusiast's.Hope everyone is doing well, seems there's plenty of scrounges between the other stuff.I've been cranking out the hrs driving, so not much scrounging happening here. I have had a few sessions with the battlebarrow hauling scrounged wood in.Temps are dropping again here, so we'll be burning some hotter fires again. I hate burning these smaller fires with the draft more open to keep everything clean, but I don't hate it as much as a propane bill :happy: .
Have a great day guys.
46f here tonite, chipper

Wow! I don't want to hurt my splitter. I might have to search around for that video. I know nothing about hydraulics so I don't know how it happened. Then again I really wouldn't be gaining much time wise by using such a devise.
i keep everything well lubed. even the slide on the I-beam. sometimes wood that won't split, too. my lube kit is std equip and set up right next to me as i operate. and i always warm up the cyl oil. 10 cylces reg 20/25 in colder months... so far so good!

We have covered a lot of topics in here but I do believe this was a first for battleships. It's a really good thing that we can discuss "other stuff" now.

:givebeer:
always have! lol, now it's legal!!! :rolleyes:

certainly a first to mention bag powder for the big BS WWII guns... running one of those would not be a job i would care for...
1669882119581.png
1669882144509.png

A lot of good advice from lots of people. Diet, regular exercise, and staying within your limits are all important. And I always tell people to "listen to your body" as to what you can and cannot do (a little pain is OK but avoid more than that).

What frustrates me most as I get older is that my body used to tell me when I'd had enough when I was doing stuff, but now it doesn't seem to tell me till after I'm done hurting myself! Very frustrating, as I always like to push my limits.

I can still go hard enough to impress a lot of guys who are a good deal younger than me, but now only for a few hours a day, and I hurt afterward. I used to be able to go 12 hours easily with no pain after, so my current condition is frustrating.

I'm still trying to figure out if it is just my age, or if recovering from injuries and surgeries just got me out of shape. Likely it is some combination of both. Guess I'll just keep trying to get back and see what happens.
Yes it's sad how your body limits what you can do as you get older. I can only move 2 loads of firewood a day before my hands go numb. Frustrating.

That’s mainly what I’m burning…Siberian…
lots of it around here to scrounge. We had an unusually hot summer so it dried out in less than a year. Normally it takes 2 seasons from what I’ve seen posted.
OK, now I'm confused about Elm nomenclature. I call Gray Elm, Piss Elm because it stinks and Red Elm, Slippery Elm because the bark comes off so easily. Not sure where the name Siberian Elm fits into my grouping.

I said before, I really like R. Elm lumber. Distinctive grain.

You forgot cutting, loading, unloading, stacking and bringing up to the house. That's 7 times (potentially)
Working at the mill, people would come in wanting lumber and be a little shocked at the price. Little did they know, the number of times each board is handled. Same as firewood.

i keep everything well lubed. even the slide on the I-beam. sometimes wood that won't split, too. my lube kit is std equip and set up right next to me as i operate. and i always warm up the cyl oil. 10 cylces reg 20/25 in colder months... so far so good!
I've seen the local rental Co. grease the I-beam when a splitter is returned, yet I've never done that. Didn't think there was that much drag there. Maybe I should start.

Speaking of cylinder oil temp, I was wondering about that too. I once thought my first engine on my splitter locked up because either it wasn't getting enough oil circulated inside because of the cold/viscosity or the hydraulic oil was thicker because of the cold causing the engine to strain. We've been over that before and it was probably just a bad engine. Still, I was wondering about one of those dip stick oil heaters for cars inserted into the oil reservoir of a splitter. Really needed?

I've seen the local rental Co. grease the I-beam when a splitter is returned, yet I've never done that. Didn't think there was that much drag there. Maybe I should start.

Speaking of cylinder oil temp, I was wondering about that too. I once thought my first engine on my splitter locked up because either it wasn't getting enough oil circulated inside because of the cold/viscosity or the hydraulic oil was thicker because of the cold causing the engine to strain. We've been over that before and it was probably just a bad engine. Still, I was wondering about one of those dip stick oil heaters for cars inserted into the oil reservoir of a splitter. Really needed?
When cold I will run mine awhile before I split. Usually about 5 mins running then slowly start cycling the cylinder back and forth to get oil up to temp, when hot out I run a box fan on the unit

A pair of log tongs and a cable/chain is a big help to untangle the mess. I used to cut at a site where drift wood logs were dumped (not piled) behind a dam. Piles were up to 15' high.
Yes, I have tongs and chains and chokers....but unfortunately the mountain is too big and my tractor is too light to pull most stuff out w/o sawing it off first. This pile is about 20' high, x 40' wide x 150' long.... it's going to make a fine hillbilly campfire when he lights it up.

Back