Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of good advice from lots of people. Diet, regular exercise, and staying within your limits are all important. And I always tell people to "listen to your body" as to what you can and cannot do (a little pain is OK but avoid more than that).

What frustrates me most as I get older is that my body used to tell me when I'd had enough when I was doing stuff, but now it doesn't seem to tell me till after I'm done hurting myself! Very frustrating, as I always like to push my limits.

I can still go hard enough to impress a lot of guys who are a good deal younger than me, but now only for a few hours a day, and I hurt afterward. I used to be able to go 12 hours easily with no pain after, so my current condition is frustrating.

I'm still trying to figure out if it is just my age, or if recovering from injuries and surgeries just got me out of shape. Likely it is some combination of both. Guess I'll just keep trying to get back and see what happens.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I live that life too.

Well guys, the smoke dragon indoor boiler went to scrap iron heaven today.

Had a friend come over with his cutting torch and after about 2 1/2 hours we had this all apart and outside.

Cutting apart the exterior was easy but when we got to the interior barrel, all the creosote inside the stove started to smolder and smoked up the house. The funniest thing was the smoke smelled like someone was igniting fresh cedar even though I had burned very little cedar in it. The sparks from the torch even got the creosote in the flu to start smoldering.

In the end this boiler was great in theory but was very inefficient and also had poor draft because IMO the chimney was too small (6”). Once we put in the super high efficient gas boiler next to it, the installer recommended not hooking up the boiler because of all the sediment that could come out of the tank and plug the new boiler.

The next debate is if I’m going to put a small freestanding wood stove here for SHTF purposes or just use it as storage.

3C98FB1A-FB6D-4E5C-BD73-B768076385E9.jpeg66A901E0-CA56-4A28-B9D5-DB19D6AA0559.jpegDDA4D5FB-A8DF-4F38-93C9-23B9556D0A8A.jpeg24B728E3-C508-4202-BA85-039D35EDDB00.jpegE2A48D5D-CD08-4363-8867-65DB2335C1EB.jpeg2B0EC8FB-2068-4097-8C84-FA35F14C7104.jpeg68BF2B4B-2242-4EE0-B900-F1EC0247E3C1.jpeg06223077-3B29-4BE7-8061-759AFA2F83B4.jpegD8E1CBFE-5EF9-43EB-91C4-E1D1E6DB575C.jpeg07D25E46-441E-4AFC-B0D2-6BCDBF0841B8.jpeg

While messing with the 3pth splitter yesterday I decided to upgrade my SuperSplit splitter. I always felt it was a little bit underpowered with the 5.5hp Honda motor. This splitter is around 30+ years old and that motor is the original one. Over the past 10 years I picked up two low usage Honda 6.5hp motors that came off of frozen powerwashers just in case my 5.5hp motor died. Today i swapped out the motors. What a difference that 1hp made to this splitter. It feels like a totally new machine. I loaded up some big Ash rounds in my bucket and let the SuperSplit have some fun. I wish I had done this swap years ago.
Can’t beat those Honda engines 👍

Bowfin sub in Hawaii and German U-505 in Chicago (no camera). At one time I serviced the big ammonia printers at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard and often walked alongside the big ships in dock but I can't recall any names. Their prints were usually 3'x20' and sometimes even longer.😬

Bowfin Engine.jpg

Inside The USS Bowfin.jpg

Torpedo Tubes.jpg

USS Bowfin.jpg

Good morning all. A lot of running around today but it’ll be good. My son who is a junior just started playing basketball again after about four years off and has his first game tonight. He will be starting JV and also sitting for varsity. The coach expects that once he learns the game better he’ll be playing varsity only.

Well her splitter says 4kg on it, it is quite old and does not look a pretty sight but she likes it. Some may say that I should not let her split but she can fight ,drive a lorry, ride British bikes and large jappers ,shoot hand guns shotguns and rifles,lug bale's of hay and straw, use a chainsaw and lug lengths of wood about. Not started her sharpening chains yet and next year a bit of rotorvating is on the list so why not split rounds she is only 61. Hers is on the left and all the others are mine.View attachment 1036703
Got in trouble because I did not mention her being a good horsewoman plus she dresses the horses feet by trimming etc ,the horse is not shod. And you that understand nice frog.IMG_20181014_121355.jpgDSCF0002.JPG

the Cavalla is here in Galveston. it was in the bay as McArthur was signing peace papers with the - - s. i have toured it. i noticed most visitors were in and out in 15 mins or so... i was 'out on patrol' for over 2 hours... it was all fascinating. i particularly liked the kitchen and mess hall! even got down and crawled down (bed deckside) into the captain's berth... what they call his stateroom. about big closet size... called for a few out the front tubes, then lowered the periscope.
View attachment 1036602

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cavalla_(SS-244)
a USS Cavalla patrol story from Patrol #1:

In 1944, Shōkaku was deployed to the Lingga Islands south of Singapore. On 15 June, she departed with the Mobile Fleet for Operation "A-Go", a counterattack against Allied forces in the Mariana Islands. Her strike waves suffered heavy losses from U.S. combat air patrols and anti-aircraft fire, but some survived and returned safely to the carrier. One of her D4Y Suisei strike groups, composed of veterans from the Coral Sea and Santa Cruz engagements, broke through and one plane allegedly struck home with a bomb that damaged the battleship USS South Dakota and caused many casualties, but this group suffered heavy losses themselves. During the Battle of the Philippine Sea, she was struck at 11:22 on 19 June by three (possibly four) torpedoes from the submarine USS Cavalla, under Commander Herman J. Kossler. As Shōkaku had been in the process of refueling and rearming aircraft and was in an extremely vulnerable condition, the torpedoes started fires that proved impossible to control. At 12:10, an aerial bomb exploded, detonating aviation fuel vapors which had spread throughout the ship. The order to abandon ship was given, but before the evacuation had progressed very far, Shōkaku abruptly took on water forward and sank quickly bow-first at position 11°40′N 137°40′E, taking 1,272 men with her. The light cruiser Yahagi and destroyers Urakaze, Wakatsuki, and Hatsuzuki rescued Captain Matsubara and 570 men.[2]

I finally got the last of my parts and put it together last week. It technically “runs” but only on 4 cylinders since I deleted the AFM. I was gonna send the computer to Texas speed for tuning but they refuse to ship it any way other then FedEx which means I’ll never see it again where I am, and no one local can do it. I ordered a OBD2 AFM disabler and I’m hoping it will at least run with that, but I’ll probably end up having to order a program like HDtunes to program it myself.

It’s been a pain in the ass every step of the way.
and in Winter's grip, too! hope it holds the water barriers well.

Have been really enjoying the scrounges of wood and the other stuff. Nice not to have to worry if a moderator will swoop in. Have a great weekend everybody. Heading for the cabin soon. Guessers say 46 degrees today. Much better than my last visit.
i am still a lil concerned, WA... might swoop me off to ban camp!

1669993419854.png
- en pix! 😋

come on with me then men!... let's head on out to the middle of the Pacific... end of Bowfin's Patrol #4 and stand along with Capt Phillips (L) on the deck of the Bowfin... his last sinking on his last patrol as captain of the sub. men celebrating as other men in utter dispair and disaster dying as their ship sinks, thanks to Bowfin's crew....

View attachment 1036528
P1010002.JPG

sorry about that S Pacific WWII sub kill pix being in black and white. no doubt that sea about as pretty blue and clear on a sunny day as can be. in case anyone wondering, i am thinking probably at least as pretty blue as this...

1669993962051.png
:drinkingcoffee:

+1 for the shtf woodburner to replace the boiler. Just have to wait till a good used one comes up for the right price
what a project! i would get an automatic fail on something like that... too worried that black crud mite migrate into the other parts of the house!

i don't do grease or dirt on floors or soot etc very well!

Back