Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it have a hollow 36" handle? Head definitely looks different but the same ball park. I'd still buy a fiskars for the outstanding customer service alone should something happen
A fellow member is going to let me take a x27 for a test drive this weekend. I'm pretty excited, I have heard so much about them. I have only used the orange monster maul for all my splitting and a old POS hand me down maul that was on its last leg.

A fellow member is going to let me take a x27 for a test drive this weekend. I'm pretty excited, I have heard so much about them. I have only used the orange monster maul for all my splitting and a old POS hand me down maul that was on its last leg.
I always split with a hydraulic splitter before mostly due to laziness and poor axemanship, but my current wood processing area is too steep to get the splitter up so after struggling with a maul and a different axe I grabbed an x27 and holy frickin smokes. The hype is real. Now I am just splitting straight grain red oak but dicing up a 24" round is much quicker than I could ever do with a hydraulic unit fumbling around. I throw a bungee cord around and then start going after a crack I see and never take more than 2 hits on anything but the most stubborn knots. Super impressed

I always split with a hydraulic splitter before mostly due to laziness and poor axemanship, but my current wood processing area is too steep to get the splitter up so after struggling with a maul and a different axe I grabbed an x27 and holy frickin smokes. The hype is real. Now I am just splitting straight grain red oak but dicing up a 24" round is much quicker than I could ever do with a hydraulic unit fumbling around. I throw a bungee cord around and then start going after a crack I see and never take more than 2 hits on anything but the most stubborn knots. Super impressed
Thanks landfakers that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I have a couple monster red oaks to take down and wanted to atleast halve them or quarter them first. No fun dealing with 24-36" rounds, the 24" rounds I had already were hard to split with splitter in the vert and horizontal positions. Thanks again for the info :numberone:

With large diameter rounds, I like to start past the center (toward the edge) to improve your splitting leverage, then "walk" a line through the middle of the piece along any crack that you started.

If you don't hear or see a split starting, rotate the piece a bit and try a different line across.

As I have previously stated, if you have any knots, put them the furthest away from where you are starting your split. Once the split has "started", you can often take out the knots.

Not only will the X-27 work very effectively in most wood, but you will be able to keep going much longer than when swinging a maul.

Stringy woods can give the X-27 trouble, but that is true of any maul also.

Wear proper clothes, keep your legs apart and the axe in the middle, sometimes it will blow right through things you don't think it will.

Evening guys. Ha to work the late shift today so I drug the 2 blown up redmax/ryobi saws into work and tore them apart. By everything I can tell, the ryobi engine is a genuine zenoah. Even has a zen serial number tag, that ends in SB. I'm assuming for "short block." Cylinder, piston, rod, crank, and crankcase are indistinguishable from each other. Same casting marks, save for date stamps. The ryobi must have been a 2006. Coil, flywheel, and plastics are close on the ryobi but have china cast into them instead of Japan. I really think the issue with both of these saws was the small exhaust outlet and lean running Conditiins. Neither has a lot of carbon build up, but both are terribly scored on the exhaust side, ring stuck in the piston, but outside of the exhaust port area the pistons and cylinders look like new. Too bad the plating is worn through and gouged up, would have been an easy saw to port and play with. Really easy to get apart. Few pictures of the two. The redmax/zenoah is on the left.

Attachments

• 20221202_190437.jpg
    20221202_190437.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_190425.jpg
    20221202_190425.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_190414.jpg
    20221202_190414.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_190349.jpg
    20221202_190349.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_190322.jpg
    20221202_190322.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks to everyone who posted about tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, backs, knees, hips...etc lol. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's buggered up!
Hang around a little longer Jeff , it gets better brother ! Your still a youngin lots more body parts to fail yet ! :rolleyes:

Back