Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty much where I'm at. The 400 and more recently the 261 have made a bit of a Stihl guy outta me....now I just wish I had an excuse to buy a 462.......
I really like the 462R that's assigned to me at work, but IMO it's close enough to the 400 that you might be disappointed. The 500i is a big enough step that I have a reason to choose it over the 400 in certain circumstances. My only knock against the 462, is that they prioritized chain speed over torque. It's still an amazing saw, but I did a little work to the 462R I use at work, to change that characteristic a bit.

The 400 is a badazz saw. Everyone who doesn't own a 400 is probably sick of hearing us talk about them, but they really are that good. 🤣 Seriously though, it's by far, the most versatile saw in my line up.
In my opinion the ms400 could just about obsolete all saws between 50cc and 72cc

I really like the 462R that's assigned to me at work, but IMO it's close enough to the 400 that you might be disappointed. The 500i is a big enough step that I have a reason to choose it over the 400 in certain circumstances. My only knock against the 462, is that they prioritized chain speed over torque. It's still an amazing saw, but I did a little work to the 462R I use at work, to
I'm not ready to jump on the 500i bus quite yet.....I know I don't like the way they feel when I pick one up at the dealer.....but maybe I'm just jealous.......

My first bigger saw fir cut'n timber was a ported Husky 288. I bought it used from one of the cutters that helped brake me in felling timber. It had some sack! It was my first bigger saw. I had only ran 044's on the log landing up until I bought my 288. It would crush any 044 around as far as stump power! But it felt a little awkward and didn't have that deep and low throaty pop pop pop power and sound that the 066 guys saws had. Besides the awkward balance, the 288 was more of a raspy rattling sound (like that of a baby rattle) and vibration was a bit worse then the 044. Not bad, but noticeably worse than STIHL. (Not much has changed since then as far as all that goes! 🤣 There were 16 of us on the cut'n crew back then including the Bull Buck. Two guys ran Huskies. The other 14 ran STIHL. Most ran the 066. a few ran an 064 two guys ran 044 and the 046 when it came out. My Bull Buck said to me one day. "You like the power of that 288? Here, you ought'a try my modified 66." I ran it for five minutes. I haven't bought a Husky sense! I actually STIHL have my Ported 288. It has a special place in my shop and memories. STIHL and Husky are both top line power saw builders! I just prefer STIHL Because they are well,🤔 lets see here. More powerful, sound better, look better, look sexier, run better, run longer, more reliable, easier to start, easier to work on, never have to work on'em. they start themselves for you, How much time you guys got? Turn more heads, get guys more girls, burn less fuel, more powerful, 🤔 did I already say that?.. More powerful, lighter weight, better throttle response, get guys more girls........

My trail cams have both recorded these guys for the 1st time over the last 2 days.

Guess they are getting active before the big sleep! We also saw tracks from 2 different ones on opening day.

I may have to try to get back up there while the season is still open.

Attachments

• Bear12-03-22.jpg
    Bear12-03-22.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
The 400 is a badazz saw. Everyone who doesn't own a 400 is probably sick of hearing us talk about them, but they really are that good. 🤣 Seriously though, it's by far, the most versatile saw in my line up.
In my opinion the ms400 could just about obsolete all saws between 50cc and 72cc
When I ran a 400 fir the first time the other day. I was quite surprised and impressed I must say. Very impressive power to weight ratio. About halfway through the first buck. I actually had to pull the saw out of the cut and take another look at the starter cover to make sure I read it right the first time and that it was a 400! 🤣
It had a 25" bar on it. I bet It would just rip with a 20" and pull a 28" just fine and dandy!👍 32" 👋 A bit much IMOP. For as compact and light the power head is. It was a very impressive power plant with a 25" bar! 👍

Todays scrounge.
Today I finished up the snag I tipped high and dry on the stump a few days ago with the exception of the top. Witch I left fir a neighbor.

This is the fifth load I've hauled off that snag.
IMG_20221204_134116913_HDR.jpg

This is four and five. load four is on the ground by the splitting round. Load five STIHL on the wagon before off loading after I got it home.
IMG_20221204_144513309.jpg

After offloading load five. I went back and tipped another snag across a stump high and dry. Fire scorched dry, chard, and the top 1/3 section sheared off by wind. This snag STIHL broke across the stump upon impact, but it STIHL kept it up off the ground good enough fir me to buck a load out of the center section that was blocking my trail. Though chard black on more than 65% of the surface. This stick is beautifully sound, dry, and ready to burn!
IMG_20221204_142810838_HDR.jpgIMG_20221204_142901572_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221204_161536338.jpg

You can see the saw waste and the stump from the snag I finished up this afternoon in the back ground about 20' behind the War Wagon. IMG_20221204_161439536.jpg

Got the first load in this fire chard snag loaded and hauled out of the woods right before dark. Daylight hours in AK are not long this close to the winter solstice! Also, as you can see in the pictures. The wind has been out of the south and east the last few days and the temperature is warmer this week compared to seven days ago. All the snow is melting and turning to slush. It will probably freeze again in a few days and turn it all into ice. Welcome to Kodiak Island winters!
IMG_20221204_161744381.jpg

Cut Safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Yeah, mean I get it . Thats why you keep your Huskies in the silverware drawer and one by the butter dish hu? Fir cutting something right? When you actually need to "saw" something like a log or even a real tree. You grab a STIHL. I get it! Good on ya! 👍
1670233785536.png

My trail cams have both recorded these guys for the 1st time over the last 2 days.

Guess they are getting active before the big sleep! We also saw tracks from 2 different ones on opening day.

I may have to try to get back up there while the season is still open.
I have a permit for one of them here. Just waiting for one to pop up like they normally do.

Todays scrounge.
Today I finished up the snag I tipped high and dry on the stump a few days ago with the exception of the top. Witch I left fir a neighbor.

This is the fifth load I've hauled off that snag.
View attachment 1037791

This is four and five. load four is on the ground by the splitting round. Load five STIHL on the wagon before off loading after I got it home.
View attachment 1037792

After offloading load five. I went back and tipped another snag across a stump high and dry. Fire scorched dry, chard, and the top 1/3 section sheared off by wind. This snag STIHL broke across the stump upon impact, but it STIHL kept it up off the ground good enough fir me to buck a load out of the center section that was blocking my trail. Though chard black on more than 65% of the surface. This stick is beautifully sound, dry, and ready to burn!
View attachment 1037793View attachment 1037797
View attachment 1037794

You can see the saw waste and the stump from the snag I finished up this afternoon in the back ground about 20' behind the War Wagon. View attachment 1037795

Got the first load in this fire chard snag loaded and hauled out of the woods right before dark. Daylight hours in AK are not long this close to the winter solstice! Also, as you can see in the pictures. The wind has been out of the south and east the last few days and the temperature is warmer this week compared to seven days ago. All the snow is melting and turning to slush. It will probably freeze again in a few days and turn it all into ice. Welcome to Kodiak Island winters!
View attachment 1037796

Cut Safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Do you cut wood every day kk?

You guys Echo guys? Nothing wrong with them...I've got a 2511t myself. Used to have a CS8000, but I gifted that to my old man after turning it up a bit. A 501 or 4910 might even be in my future if I decide to get a new 50cc.
Heck ya bro! I like my echos, always start easy cold or hot. Good enough power for what we do and very fuel friendly. But I never ran a Stihl or husky for comparison.

I'm glad the other stuff got added to this tread. Now even if you don't have a Stihl you folks with the other stuff have a home. :drinkingcoffee:
Good morning to all my friends here. Good to have fun with no hurt feelings. All the brands have both good and bad saws. The competition between them benefits us all.

I have a permit for one of them here. Just waiting for one to pop up like they normally do.
We don't need permits here in NY, but you are not allowed to bait, which makes it very difficult to get one unless it is just by chance while you are deer hunting.

It was over 20 years (maybe 30) before I saw a bear while I was hunting, but my daughter who has been hunting for 3 years now saw bear on opening morning her first two years. I'm sure I could have taken 2 over the years, but they were not huge, and I have never shot at one.

If I do decide to take one, it will only be because they prey so heavily on the deer.

You guys Echo guys? Nothing wrong with them...I've got a 2511t myself. Used to have a CS8000, but I gifted that to my old man after turning it up a bit. A 501 or 4910 might even be in my future if I decide to get a new 50cc.
Have ran some older echo ( kioritz)
Liked them a lot.

I'm glad the other stuff got added to this tread. Now even if you don't have a Stihl you folks with the other stuff have a home. :drinkingcoffee:
Good morning to all my friends here. Good to have fun with no hurt feelings. All the brands have both good and bad saws. The competition between them benefits us all.
Who says there is no hard feelings?! 🤣😉

Latest posts

Back