Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it makes you feel better kk I couldn't even hack north Michigan. I get so stiff at 0 , I'd turn into a stinking concrete statue at -20!!!!!
Knees , shoulders the whole bit just won't move at all.
heck!, i feel like that every morning when time to get up.... :lol:
:givebeer:

It was a cold evening the other night and the fire went out. I woke up to build another then take a pi** and my Squaw walked in on me in the head on accident. She started giggling and said "isn't that cute!" I said "what?" She's looking down at my lower mid section and said. "I mean it looks like manhood and all, just smaller!" I said "The fire went out!!!" She said "years ago honey, years ago." 🤔
refrost 2.3
zzzzxsf.jpg

Its all good! 🤣 It's not cold that bothers me! 🤔 Well, not all of me but...😉
actually, me neither! it's my face, hands, legs, arms.... etc

:givebeer: even anti-freeze won't help sometimes. 12f is a killer down here when no elec is added in for a week or so.

I'm so glad it doesn't get stupid cold where I live. This past week it didn't get out of the low 40's, but was only getting down to freezing at night. We occasionally get down into the teens, but no negatives unless I cruise up the mountain.

I did go over the pass to go ride the dirt bike out in the desert a couple weeks ago. Dropped from 30* down to -9 in a few miles...the grill on my Dodge didn't like the cold shock and shriveled up and cracked all over. That was really annoying, especially considering how clean I keep this truck.

i believe him...

What is the coldest it has ever been in Alaska?

Alaska Weather Records
  • Lowest Temperature. -79.8° F (-62° C) at Prospect Creek on January 23, 1971 (U.S. Record)
This was 2 winters ago, same day we had -74 at our house. Usually we are about 10 degrees colder then in town, but when it’s that cold who’s counting?

00446693-6830-4264-842E-5E06A8E3781A.jpeg

Please Shooter! Unless you've beat a 6" layer of ice off the deck of a crab boat on the Bering Sea in the middle of January with 30 foot seas while -30°? You simply just don't understand the meaning of the word 🥶COLD!🥶 🤣🤣😉
1670570278737.png
i think -74f qualifies him! :yes:
:popcorn2:

I'm so glad it doesn't get stupid cold where I live. This past week it didn't get out of the low 40's, but was only getting down to freezing at night. We occasionally get down into the teens, but no negatives unless I cruise up the mountain.

I did go over the pass to go ride the dirt bike out in the desert a couple weeks ago. Dropped from 30* down to -9 in a few miles...the grill on my Dodge didn't like the cold shock and shriveled up and cracked all over. That was really annoying, especially considering how clean I keep this truck.
i have been skiing out of Denver before headed up to Vail... and had to put cardboard in front of the radiator to get the heater to do its thing!

hey S_r.... me, too! fireplace weather in the forecast for next week and almost the rest of December, too! i may be short tempered now n then, :lol: :dumb: but one thing i am not short of... well, two then...

:givebeer:
:chop:

BIG deal! dense air ='s more Bernoullies... or so the saying goes. then there is density altitude, too! both issues have bought a lot of acreage for many over the years. " FARM FOR SALE: Just F'UP! "in AK mountian flying hurts a lot, not prepared for the weather, conditions or changes. annually! hey, that is some pretty cool stuff u r up to over in what's on my bench! nice work! nice shop! i see not ur first rodeo. :) 👍

Thanks! I've got just a bit of OCD, so I try to keep the shop space nice. I'm mostly building saws right now. I didn't set out to make a business modding saws, but just through word of mouth I've had a steady stream of saws coming in. I'm not getting rich from it, but it basically pays for more tools and it's fun to do.

The log splitter is my other project. The major project is the restoration of my 72 k20 Chevy... I just haven't had much time for that lately.

Thanks! I've got just a bit of OCD, so I try to keep the shop space nice. I'm mostly building saws right now. I didn't set out to make a business modding saws, but just through word of mouth I've had a steady stream of saws coming in. I'm not getting rich from it, but it basically pays for more tools and it's fun to do.

The log splitter is my other project. The major project is the restoration of my 72 k20 Chevy... I just haven't had much time for that lately.
restoration! thot the very words this afternoon, modding and restoring some more of... my lil scrounge cart! grease grime, rust, crap, rust oxide, tools, wipes, grit... all of it. right in front of me as i busted wheels and tires. 3 sources to get all 4 wheels on scrounge cart same color, size and hold air. " 💩! ... this is just like restoring an old car, only smaller scale!", i said to myself...

then on to H-H! 👍

and on that, then until i can catch up again... View attachment 1039041

:cheers:

View attachment 1039035
i think -74f qualifies him! :yes:
:popcorn2:
When -74°, everyone is inside staying warm. It is not at all common to go outside for more than 15 minutes in Alaska if its -50° or colder. This was told to me by several different residents of Fairbanks.
When it comes to the Bering Sea? No school for it! Never was! Unless you've been there and done it? Nothing compares bud! NOTHING! 😉

N
When -74°, everyone is inside staying warm. It is not at all common to go outside for more than 15 minutes in Alaska if its -50° or colder. This was told to me by several different residents of Fairbanks.
When it comes to the Bering Sea? No school for it! Never was! Unless you've been there and done it? Nothing compares bud! NOTHING! 😉
Not common to go out in it, but we have to sometimes.

Couple years ago I was up on the slope and got stuck being an oiler. Not too bad of a job most of the time, except during the blows and cold snaps when no one else was out working and we had to stay with the equipment to make sure it stayed running. Nothing like it being -50 and not being able to see the next piece of equipment in the line up 10’ away because the snow is blowing so dang hard.

Now days I only go up as a operator if I go up so I can sit in camp and get paid during weather like that 😁

Back