Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Lots to wade thru when all the nite owls show up. That was more pages than i have after two days at the cabin most times. Good thing I had my coffee and a spare hour this morning. :drinkingcoffee:
Took me a BIG cup to get thru it all. Almost cut into my hunting time :(

I've seen -44. That's cold! It is however rare to go below -30 on the coldest days around here. I remember when I was living down south (Arkansas and Mississippi) guys would ask how cold it gets. I'd tell them about the -44 and they would kind of look blank and say jeez that's cold or something, but I could tell they didn't understand. So I would tell them "You know how your nose runs on a cold day?" "Oh yeah" they'd answer. Then I'd say "When you sniff, your nose will freeze shut for just a second". They'd reply with no way or no it doesn't but yes it does!

sorry to interrupt....
The ash is in the rack.
KIMG2808.JPG KIMG2806.JPG
KIMG2787.JPG
hacked a dead trunk off an elm,
KIMG2809.JPG KIMG2804.JPG
dragged out the gas splitter (flat tire, grr) and the racks are full.
Allison says the 6 pounder in the ash worked better for her.
Tried it and for the most part I'll stick with the 8lb for now.
Snow on the way today. Might be the end of scrounging for us this year.
Time to get out the skinny skis. Fire up the basement stove, get some bike work done.
KIMG2801.JPG KIMG2802.JPG

sorry to interrupt....
The ash is in the rack.
View attachment 1039047 View attachment 1039048
View attachment 1039053
hacked a dead trunk off an elm,
View attachment 1039050 View attachment 1039049
dragged out the gas splitter (flat tire, grr) and the racks are full.
Allison says the 6 pounder in the ash worked better for her.
Tried it and for the most part I'll stick with the 8lb for now.
Snow on the way today. Might be the end of scrounging for us this year.
Time to get out the skinny skies. Fire up the basement stove, get some bike work done.
View attachment 1039051 View attachment 1039052
What you building.
And that's how we start the bike building portion of the thread guys :happy: .

Ok, we were talking "raker" grinders! You just mentioned pictures of pro Cutters out of PNW and BC all lined up standing next to their Simington "square" grinders! Heck Brett. I have ✌️two Silvey square grinders. However, out of over the 100+ cutters total on all the different cut'n crews I've worked on over the years. I've never met one Cutter. Not one, in 25 years! That either owned or used a "raker" grinder. Most all of them originaly from the PNW or BC. Heck, I've never even SEEN a "raker" grinder. Let alone seen a pro Cutter use one. That's how affiliated "raker" grinders are with the NW and Alaska's Felling industry! When I think "raker grinder" I think harvester bar size saw chain on a dangle head log processor!
🤷Just say'n bud.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

If not Icing, what do you expect?
Well if I went on what I'd seen around here(my area), noone even knows what a file is ;). But having been on here a while now, I've seen things folks around my parts are not accustomed to and have grinders most know nothing about(although I'm down a few from a couple yrs ago).

Air leak or a bad plug.
The one on this saw is pretty much black. Actually this whole saw was pretty bad when I got it. Heavily abused. Maybe it’s time to freshen it up
Well...
I’ve been looking for a top cover for this one for about 2 years. Still haven’t found one.
Your looking and my looking must be two different things, I could have one here next week if I needed one. Good thing all my saws of that series have tops on them though 👌.
Been out of stock for about 2 years.
Guess you better buy a newer saw :rolleyes:.
👍 Retired from crab fishing a few years ago in my early 40's 😉
I retired from hauling drywall when I was 42, that ain't no old man's sport either.
me, too! any starting help i like. reminds, me.. i got one i need to replace. currently, saw starting, but each time i prime... it reminds me!! lol
Don't run it even if you can tune it out, fix it!

What you building.
And that's how we start the bike building portion of the thread guys :happy: .
Like I needed encouragement...
This is just a front wheel I've always wanted, and finally found down at the Barber swap meet last fall. The exact bike it will go on TBD.
4LS from a Suzuki GT750 polished up with stainless spokes and a new rim.
One of my bikes, last summer
devils lake.jpg
@chipper1 whatcha riding?

Been out of stock for about 2 years.
Shows in stock on my phone, hl supply has knock off versions for about $20.00. I'll look when I get home see what I have. I think I have a new addition cover in nice shape. If so you can have it for the cost of shipping.
Two and a half cups for me. My mug must be smaller. I'm just hunting thru the posts. Warmer and less snow inside.
On my first cup... no snow, yet.

Well if I went on what I'd seen around here(my area), noone even knows what a file is ;). But having been on here a while now, I've seen things folks around my parts are not accustomed to and have grinders most know nothing about(although I'm down a few from a couple yrs ago).

Air leak or a bad plug.

Well...

Your looking and my looking must be two different things, I could have one here next week if I needed one. Good thing all my saws of that series have tops on them though 👌.

Guess you better buy a newer saw :rolleyes:.

I retired from hauling drywall when I was 42, that ain't no old man's sport either.

Don't run it even if you can tune it out, fix it!
I think it has to do with him being in Alaska.

When -74°, everyone is inside staying warm. It is not at all common to go outside for more than 15 minutes in Alaska if its -50° or colder. This was told to me by several different residents of Fairbanks.
When it comes to the Bering Sea? No school for it! Never was! Unless you've been there and done it? Nothing compares bud! NOTHING! 😉
trust me, kid! i do belive you. with all the cold from last nite, i looked up coldest spots ever? :cold:

Two and a half cups for me. My mug must be smaller. I'm just hunting thru the posts. Warmer and less snow inside.
Christmas choco candy kisses are. QB got a bag for the season. dumped into the candy jar yesterday. just R of mouse pad... first thing i noticed... smaller by at least 25%. maybe 1/3! 👎

I've seen -44. That's cold! It is however rare to go below -30 on the coldest days around here. I remember when I was living down south (Arkansas and Mississippi) guys would ask how cold it gets. I'd tell them about the -44 and they would kind of look blank and say jeez that's cold or something, but I could tell they didn't understand. So I would tell them "You know how your nose runs on a cold day?" "Oh yeah" they'd answer. Then I'd say "When you sniff, your nose will freeze shut for just a second". They'd reply with no way or no it doesn't but yes it does!
guess not the kind of weather to stick one's tongue onto some cold steel... see if it will stick! :omg:

Latest posts

Back