Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm mostly finished with my home made log splitter, or at least enough I could try it out. I still need to tidy up some stuff, I'm going to grab some broken firehose from work to protect the hydraulic lines and to secure them, so they are rubbing on metal parts. I'm also going to make a table for it at some point, but I want to use it first, just to give me a better idea of what I want for that. I'm also going to build an axle at some point, this one is out of a harbor freight trailer and is arched under the weight of this thing, even after I boxed in the axle.

I bought the Predator motor, the jack, the pump mount, and the Coors sticker, everything else was repurposed and/or built.
IMG_20230126_163731639.jpg.9d7095e5578cd8e3942771b2043cb046.jpg
IMG_20230126_163745321.jpg.ce1ca7d0db0b7de4e8bd696bd184b037.jpg
IMG_20230126_163755684.jpg.5472d0726bcd1a715373ab9cb1797998.jpg
nice job

@Sean denato I called them. They said they couldn't help me something about going through a dealer not factory direct. Ive been searching my a** off fir days looking for a good set of grapples
KK . Google Steinsammler grapple. It's Mennonite owned so not much of a website. They had some at the auction where your skid came from. I've known Lloyd the owner forever. Maybe a little pricier than some but quality.

I get an email from these guys about everyday. Can’t attest to their grapples, but their pallet forks are the real deal. Always have sales and free shipping. Not affiliated with company.
https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...vn48FCQuh2Ebh-7c2UfUwIEn4G6qhK5VPpAxk=.VKsgZj
I got a bunch of weld on shanks and bucket teeth from them last year. Never ending e-mails from them now. No complaints on the teeth or shanks, save I wish they weren't painted. Being rough cast the shanks needed a good bit of cleaning up before welding. Shipping was reasonable as well. The 5 pack was the best price I could find anywhere.

I got a bunch of weld on shanks and bucket teeth from them last year. Never ending e-mails from them now. No complaints on the teeth or shanks, save I wish they weren't painted. Being rough cast the shanks needed a good bit of cleaning up before welding. Shipping was reasonable as well. The 5 pack was the best price I could find anywhere.
I just got another from them. I went into my email settings and snoozed them for a bit. Will see how it works out.

Yes indeed it’s great for projects that require tough long lasting quality, that’s why I left the stem to mill. Nice looking bed boards, I bet they don’t see much rain!
No they are still in my basement don’t rain much at all there :laugh: I still have two white oaks to mill . My friends mill is down and he’s having a hell of a time getting parts . I did cut one down to 7 ft and used the Alaskan mill but I need to modify my exhaust on the 396xp it blasts me to the point I got nauseous and stopped . Not a good scenario. 204EB782-4693-4A00-BB85-73EA4F2BE3D4.jpegE1B6F8F6-CC71-404C-8E52-125E00680986.jpeg886BF21B-2C24-4FA1-8DE0-3C69B414C1B7.jpegCD2C04EB-7686-414B-99B1-B08E3C137317.jpegED824FE8-4FC7-43C0-A619-BC7680E2D5A5.jpeg

Almost too pretty to use lol, I'm going to get a canvas cover for it, so it doesn't just sit out in the elements.

That's pretty cool that your dad was on the Navy team. The USA Shooting facility in Colorado springs is a pretty cool venue, there's worse places to shoot at lol.

I wasn't much of a skeet shooter, mostly trap and sporting clays after that. Each discipline is too different to be really good at all of them. So I tried to be great at trap, pretty good at sporting clays, and semi-competent at skeet. I nearly medaled at international trap at the state level one year(collegiate,) so I got an invite to Colorado Springs for that. I had enough local sponsors that it was a free trip for me, so fun times for sure.

I also got at invite for the international skeet event there, but only on a technicality...we didn't have a state championship for that event, so it was an automatic invite if you asked...I think I was 2nd to last at the international skeet event. :laugh: That was actually the first I shot that variation of skeet, I must have looked like a complete moron to the guys on the US olympic team lol. I even failed to get a shot off on the #8 station my first time.🤣

The Citori is actually a sweetheart to shoot, between the weight and the shock in the stock, it's easy on the shoulder. It's ported as well, almost as gentle as shooting the gas Beretta. The only way it beat me up at Colorado Springs was I kept getting my neck pinched in comb(the comb moves with the recoil shock.) Looked like I had a hickey, everyone thought I was getting freaky with some chick after hours. :laugh:

Sorry for the long story, just some fun memories...I still have all my guns(except for the scary black ones that were lost in a boating accident,) but don't really shoot anymore.
So basically you shoot better than 98% of the guys shooting ;).
I pulled skeet and trap at an uppity club from when I was 14.5-16. I taught quite a few guys there how to shoot, and helped others if they were open to it, I managed to earn some very nice tips, and paid rounds shooting all sorts of high end competition guns in various ga. What's funny is I shot their league with my field grade 870, and won the Jr portion lol. Kinda funny shooting an 870 next to a guy who owns a large corporation with a high end gun as a 14yr old.
I haven't shot a full round of skeet in around 10yrs, I think I shot an 18 when I did. Been considering joining a club about 15min from the house. They have indoor pistol, rifle to 250yds, a couple skeet/trap fields. It would be really nice to have a warm place to shoot pistol in the winter, and also to let loose with the ARs as my neighbors dog gets scared, so I don't go at it really hard. We're actually going to a buddies to do a little plinking in the morning tomorrow, probably just bring a couple 22lrs and a couple 9mm.
All the talk of clays shooting, I’m gonna have to find some pics of my Winchester 101 Diamond Grade

Single barrel for trap and a double for skeet or sporting clays.

I prefer sporting clays
View attachment 1052175
That's perty!
My dad has a 101 small ga skeet set, I think it's just 410, 16, and 20, but I'm not 100%. I like his 3200 better though. That being said, an 1100 is all I really need, anyone have one they want to sell :).

No they are still in my basement don’t rain much at all there :laugh: I still have two white oaks to mill . My friends mill is down and he’s having a hell of a time getting parts . I did cut one down to 7 ft and used the Alaskan mill but I need to modify my exhaust on the 396xp it blasts me to the point I got nauseous and stopped . Not a good scenario. View attachment 1052241View attachment 1052242View attachment 1052245View attachment 1052246
Maybe you could put on a surgical mask, I've heard those will stop a virus, so they'd have to help 😆.
Is that husky of yours punched out a little, or a stroker or maybe your thinking of a Chevy, I've never heard of a 396xp 😬.

10-4, I find BL just about as often as WO only problem is the locust is usually around 8” dia. Thanks
The 8" logs ain't too bad, it does take a bit longer to process them, but they certainly are a lot lighter than that white oak.
One great thing about locust is the water content, it's very low compared to most everything else.

Maybe you could put on a surgical mask, I've heard those will stop a virus, so they'd have to help 😆.
Is that husky of yours punched out a little, or a stroker or maybe your thinking of a Chevy, I've never heard of a 396xp 😬.
Fat fingers ..... I was wearing a paint mask for the dust but they don’t help much for carbon monoxide. 7DD96721-C9B6-4F85-8EC6-80EB391A95C7.jpeg

I then made this up to hook up to a small oilless compressor haven’t tried it yet C05F25E1-A534-4E20-A284-FCAC4744D1C3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back